S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Returning to oem intake

Old 08-29-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning to oem intake

I purchased a my06 that has hondata reflashed ecu and an ingen cai. Also it came with the original intake parts in a box. I would like to remove the ingen and install the original intake. Reason is wanting to take longer road trips and worry about getting caught in storm weather. The possibility of hydrolocking the engine can be nerve wracking while driving in bad storms . Real question is will I have greatly reduced performance and importantly will i start getting check engine lites ?
Will the reflash cause problems working with the oem intake?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You don't have anything to worry about for either issue. You can go back to the stock air box without any issues from the reflash. However, you really shouldn't worry about hydrolock either. It's really, really hard to dydrolock an S2000. For that to happen, you have to fully submerge the entire filter for multiple seconds while the car is rolling with significant momentum in gear. Otherwise, the engine won't generate enough vacuum to draw the 3" column of water up 2 feet vertically to reach the cylinders. Of course, if the car is submerged to that extent, you're probably going to flood the passenger compartment too.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Gernby
You don't have anything to worry about for either issue. You can go back to the stock air box without any issues from the reflash. However, you really shouldn't worry about hydrolock either. It's really, really hard to dydrolock an S2000. For that to happen, you have to fully submerge the entire filter for multiple seconds while the car is rolling with significant momentum in gear. Otherwise, the engine won't generate enough vacuum to draw the 3" column of water up 2 feet vertically to reach the cylinders. Of course, if the car is submerged to that extent, you're probably going to flood the passenger compartment too.
Thanks for the info. Idid not think about snorkeling water that far up the 3" pipe. Not very likely for sure. The car runs super so maybe better just stop worry and enjoy it.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just my 2 cents.. I used to have an aem CAI on my 06 ap2 till one day during a bad storm I rolled into the driveway of my job which had a puddle maybe 3 inches high and 2feet wide just over my oem lip. I thought nothing of it since I drove through the puddle and didn't stop but the car completely stalled out and wouldn't start.. Luckily I work at a dealership so lifted it and drained the oil to find bubbles of water in it. After a few hours of letting everything leak out it started again and there was no damage at all to my engine since that was 3 years ago.. After that scare I switched to a PRM and been happy ever since.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 PM

Hydro lock is possible in our cars. My buddy works at honda and someone brought in a 04 with a aem v2 intake. That sucker hydro locked, broke the rod in the center, and the piston with half the rod, was sitting in the oil pan when they dropped the pan. This just happened today actually. He took a pick of the rod dangling from the crank. So if a aem v2 with that big piping can hydro lock, I'm sure the regular cold air intakes will also lock up.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
Billman has stated this is not the case at all.
From another thread:
Originally Posted by Billman250
Hydrolock due to the aem v2, guaranteed.

Rainwater filled the elbow behind the bumper. Then it sucks it up all at once when you try to start.

This exact same thing happened to one of my customers from 1 inch of snow melting, right in the driveway. The car does not need to be submerged.

He snapped the rod in 3 and it broke right through the block.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:41 AM

What it looks like when u hydro lock. Intake was a aem v2
Name:  Screenshot_2015-09-02-06-37-17_1.png
Views: 205
Size:  506.4 KB
Old 09-02-2015, 03:17 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Here's what Bill is referencing. The intake can ingest a lot of water without submerging it and a massive amount if submerged. Hydrostatic lock can break rods even in a tank engine (!).

This intake ain't worth the risk. I thought there was a relief bypass that could be fitted that would open if there was too much suction but I may have dreamed that.

-- Chuck
Old 09-02-2015, 05:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to think that Billman was talking about a special case where the car with the AEM was parked with the passenger side higher than the driver side, while raining for a long time. I recall something about a slow drip occurring that can fill up the AEM piping that would be "drooping" due to the angle. If so, then I agree that is something to be careful about. However, there were fixes for that issue.

I hydro locked my '86 Civic Si by driving through a flooded intersection 20+ years ago, even though it was 100% stock. However, I learned a lot from that experience that prevented it from ever happening again. Of course, I did have an AEM CAI on my '02 S2000, and never hesitated to drive in heavy rain.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know of someone with the same issue. Leaving the car out in the rain with a AEM v2, started the car and chucked a rod.

The reason as mentioned above. Older V2 were tilted upwards and water pooled by the elbow, overtime it fills. On startup it's enough to suck up a signification amount to flood a cylinder.

New ones have a 1 way valve in the elbow to allow for drainage.

I'm surprised there wasn't a class action suit over it

Quick Reply: Returning to oem intake