S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Single Exhaust - Advice Needed

Old 08-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Exhaust - Advice Needed

Hi all! I'm here to get some advice and make a final decision on which single exhaust I want to order. Yes, I know this has been talked about before, and yes, I have used the "search" and am not just posting without trying to research for myself. After researching for a long time, I'm finally posting about it because I would like to get advice from other S owners who have had firsthand experience with these exhausts (one or more) on their cars.

I'm looking for a single exhaust that is "quiet" (not obnoxious) in low rpms (below 4k-ish) but loud in WOT. I know this is what everyone is looking for... So this is what I've narrowed my list down to.

ASM 70mm-
Pros: Known to be the best single exhaust by all. As quiet as stock in low rpm, loud in WOT, zero drone.
Cons: Very hard to come by.
Price: $1400

T1R 70EM
Pros: Possibly the next best choice coming in behind the ASM. Still fairly quiet in low RPM. "Screams like a banshee" in WOT (from another review I've read).
Cons: Has been known to drone in certain applications.
Price: $995

EVS 70SSP
Pros: Design is based on ASM 70. May be slightly quieter the T1R in low rpm, and slightly louder with a higher pitch tone in WOT.
Cons: Has also been known to drone in certain applications.
Price: $1095

Challenge 76TA-S
Pros: 3 inch exhaust. Looks great and seems quiet/loud at the right times in the videos I've watched.
Cons: "Street" version is not as posted about as the "race." It's hard to find information on noise and drone about this exhaust.
Price: $895

Js 70RS
Pros: I'm sure this is a great exhaust seeing it's made by Js...
Cons: the 70RS is also hard to find information on because people either get the 60RS or 70RR. I've heard the non-resonated Titanium 70RR and know it is too loud.
Price: $1115

All the exhausts listed about are stainless steel, which I like. I live in an area of the country where there are not many modified S2000s, so it is not possible for me to meet up and hear these exhausts in person. My S2000 is not my daily driver; I typically use it for spirited driving on weekends. Price is not going to be the deciding factor (within reason of course) so don't base your advice on that.

The reason I did not list the Greddy Ti-C or RS single and HKS 75 single is because I do not like the look of the canister muffler with straight cut tip. I did consider the Greddy SE single initially but it is no longer being made. However, I know Greddy (in conjunction with GoTuning) is working on creating the v.2 of the SE. I'm sure this will be an oustanding exhaust and will probably be priced on the lower end of the spectrum. The SE v.2 should be coming out within 3 to 4 months.

I will be running a ceramic coated Private Label MFG header and Berk 70mm test pipe with the new exhaust, just an FYI pertaining to drone with the new exhaust.

When commenting, please provide a reason for your choice, not just "Brand X ftw..." If I have missed any options, feel free to mention them. Thank you in advance for the help!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get the ASM70 because it's the only one that is certainly has no drone. drone can make the car undriveable, less fun, and therefore useless. if i could do it all over again, id have an asm70...the price isnt that hard to swallow after youve had an exhaust that is just too damn loud for the street.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get an ASM 70 for your stated reasons. However, you'll likely not be able to find one..especially the newer version with the improved resonator.

I love my J's 60rs titanium. Not sure about the quality and sound of the stainless, though. I think the 70RS is going to be too loud for you
Old 08-02-2012, 02:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Js and the Challenge exhausts are not for you. The EVS70 may be the limit for you, judging by your posts. The ASM70 sounds like the exhaust for you. The only exhaust I have not experienced is the T1R. The EVS70 isnt OBNOXIOUS but it has a fair amount of volume to it, coupled with a drone zone on the highway. The EVS70 I could easily deal with for drone though.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:49 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you are going to run a test pipe, then you can't consider the ASM single to be drone free. Any exhaust that has a closed-ended side branch resonator near the front flange is designed to work WITH the cat to reduce drone. Exhausts that don't have the branch resonator, but do have a conventional resonator in the OEM location, will have less drone with a test pipe. Exhausts that have no resonators are going to drone no matter what.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally have stock header, 70mm Berk TP and HKS 75mm single. It has an in line resonator. I know you said you didnt like it b/c of the straight cut tip, but thats an easy fix imo. It does have a small ammount of drone at the resonate hump range near 4k but none on the highway. I can carry on a full convo top up or down as long as im not in Vtec giving it the beans. Also at WoT i think it sounds amazing, when i got the test pipe it gained a certain aggressive tone that almost sounds exotic.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Challenge and J's are not for you. Maybe look into the Berk 3" - I feel it is the best blend of perfromance(power, sound, volume, drone)/price/quality.

There's a video from Berk on youtube where you can hear the sound bouncing off some surrounding buildings, and it really gives you an impression of how loud it is at WOT.

In most cases, you should be able to modulate the amount of drone with your throttle inputs. With my Berk, for instance, I can easily talk to a passenger at very light throttle, cruising at 60, but unless we want to yell over it, the conversation has to trail off for a minute if I have to put my foot down to accelerate in 6th gear.

The engine, including intake and exhaust, are very well set up from the factory. You can't make many improvements to performance without making compromises in other areas that Honda's engineers didn't feel were acceptable (volume, drone). As a matter of fact - I imagine that statement can go for the whole car.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blasphemy101
Challenge and J's are not for you. Maybe look into the Berk 3" - I feel it is the best blend of perfromance(power, sound, volume, drone)/price/quality.

There's a video from Berk on youtube where you can hear the sound bouncing off some surrounding buildings, and it really gives you an impression of how loud it is at WOT.

In most cases, you should be able to modulate the amount of drone with your throttle inputs. With my Berk, for instance, I can easily talk to a passenger at very light throttle, cruising at 60, but unless we want to yell over it, the conversation has to trail off for a minute if I have to put my foot down to accelerate in 6th gear.

The engine, including intake and exhaust, are very well set up from the factory. You can't make many improvements to performance without making compromises in other areas that Honda's engineers didn't feel were acceptable (volume, drone). As a matter of fact - I imagine that statement can go for the whole car.
This is not true. My midpipe allows greater performance from an HFC than a straight pipe, with greatly reduced drone.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gernby
Originally Posted by blasphemy101' timestamp='1343927573' post='21908258

This is not true. My midpipe allows greater performance from an HFC than a straight pipe, with greatly reduced drone.
With the exception of the GernPipe, given it yields the results it promises (not that I have any doubts, but the jury is still out on it).

GENERALLY speaking, I think what I posted still holds true (with most mass-produced exhausts currently on the market), especially considering the Berk and the exhausts listed in the OP.

Hopefully Gernby's midpipe proves to be the exception.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:40 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Wait for Berk to release their cat back 3" design.

Side note, Gerby why dont you release a midpipe that is straight through but with your cone design, wouldn't that flow even better?

Quick Reply: Single Exhaust - Advice Needed