S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Skunk2 intake manifold

Old 11-22-2016, 05:32 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

if the runner lengths between the k and f series skunk2 manifold are the same, then the adapter will probably help you in the end.
Old 11-23-2016, 03:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
if the runner lengths between the k and f series skunk2 manifold are the same, then the adapter will probably help you in the end.
That is what I was thinking. A few conversations I've had lean towards needing more runner length to pull the power off that ultra top end. I can't tell if Mrsideways added plenum volume or runner length but he added two inches to the Xcessive manifold.
Old 11-28-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by leon_83
hi, i've just received the CNC adapter kit for k to f ultra race intake manifold...
i would like to know one thing...i have read that the skunk2 ultra race for k20 is a very good intake manifold, and one of its force point is that has shorter runners and a big plenum to give a huge air flow and hp gains on the top end. i noticed that the adapters kit for f20 add a lot on tickness on the runners... how this aspect can pregiudicate the performance?since the adapters increase the length of the manifold assembly.
I had an educational conversation with Jason over at CNC Speedshop today then some yaywho at Skunk2.

CNC has only tested the Ultra Race intake manifold adapter on a tired F20c but Jason expects the gains to be as good or better on an F22 or F24. While the Street manifold might work, the Race provides more headroom for an F22 with cams or an F24. Other K-series manifolds (like Xcessive) might work but CNC has not verified. He believes a primary reason for minimal gains on exhaust manifolds and camshafts are due to the OEM intake manifold design; they have measured vacuum within the manifold on 2.4L builds.

Skunk2 says the Ultra Race is for 600HP+ N/A applications for drag and road race. I asked what 2.0-2.4L is making that power and he couldn't answer. I asked why 600HP, then, and he said it was fit for high HP applications due to a large plenum, short runners, and 90mm throttle body opening. He did say people just use the Race regardless, even if they aren't making 600. Skunk2 couldn't tell me the runner diameter differences between Ultra Street and Race, nor confirm if they have airhorns for each runner like the Xcessive (I believe they do). The runner lengths are 8.75" for the Street and 6.5" for the Race so the Race, combined with CNC's adapter, yields almost Street runner lengths.

Last edited by imstimpy; 11-29-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:47 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
That is what I was thinking. A few conversations I've had lean towards needing more runner length to pull the power off that ultra top end. I can't tell if Mrsideways added plenum volume or runner length but he added two inches to the Xcessive manifold.
Runner length spacer is 2.5 inches. I'll load a better photo of the new spacer I just put in.

Last edited by Mrsideways; 11-30-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:52 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by imstimpy
I had an educational conversation with Jason over at CNC Speedshop today then some yaywho at Skunk2.

CNC has only tested the Ultra Race intake manifold adapter on a tired F20c but Jason expects the gains to be as good or better on an F22 or F24. While the Street manifold might work, the Race provides more headroom for an F22 with cams or an F24. Other K-series manifolds (like Xcessive) might work but CNC has not verified. He believes a primary reason for minimal gains on exhaust manifolds and camshafts are due to the OEM intake manifold design; they have measured vacuum within the manifold on 2.4L builds.

Skunk2 says the Ultra Race is for 600HP+ N/A applications for drag and road race. I asked what 2.0-2.4L is making that power and he couldn't answer. I asked why 600HP, then, and he said it was fit for high HP applications due to a large plenum, short runners, and 90mm throttle body opening. He did say people just use the Race regardless, even if they aren't making 600. Skunk2 couldn't tell me the runner diameter differences between Ultra Street and Race, nor confirm if they have airhorns for each runner like the Xcessive (I believe they do). The runner lengths are 8.75" for the Street and 6.5" for the Race so the Race, combined with CNC's adapter, yields almost Street runner lengths.
I exchanged mail with Jason at CNC and also looked at the CNC facebook page. See:
https://www.facebook.com/CNCSpeedsho...78999085496034

Jason offered this additional context for what this dyno before and after is (and why it represents a better approximation for the types of 2.4L gains offered by the skunk2 with his adapter):
That graph is from the test they did on a k24 Miata, that's stock s2000 vs skunk 2 ultra both with stock s2000 throttle body.
Pretty encouraging. But I'm definitely concerned that the official skunk2 manifold's runners will be too short. And that to really get the most gains CNC's adapter is the way to go.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by snitm
I exchanged mail with Jason at CNC and also looked at the CNC facebook page. See:
https://www.facebook.com/CNCSpeedsho...78999085496034

Jason offered this additional context for what this dyno before and after is (and why it represents a better approximation for the types of 2.4L gains offered by the skunk2 with his adapter):

Pretty encouraging. But I'm definitely concerned that the official skunk2 manifold's runners will be too short. And that to really get the most gains CNC's adapter is the way to go.

I was able to get the prototype Skunk2 s2000 specific. Runners are 6.5 inches and the plenum is HUGE. Bigger than FBM. That link shows the Skunk2 k24 losing mid range power but gaining up top. I dont want to lose anywhere lol Im scared ill lose power again lol
Old 12-01-2016, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Mrsideways

Runner length spacer is 2.5 inches. I'll load a better photo of the new spacer I just put in.
Can you get another one of these made? I could use CnCs plate and run this lol
Old 12-01-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
Can you get another one of these made? I could use CnCs plate and run this lol
Just Call Rich at excessive, they have one done and ready to go for an S2000 that's a copy of mine for a K series, Mine is a 50 mm taper to a 58 mm with velocity stacks and a 2.5 inch spacer.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mrsideways
Just Call Rich at excessive, they have one done and ready to go for an S2000 that's a copy of mine for a K series, Mine is a 50 mm taper to a 58 mm with velocity stacks and a 2.5 inch spacer.
One more question.How much lol
Old 12-01-2016, 01:34 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
One more question.How much lol
~800 i think he said

Quick Reply: Skunk2 intake manifold