S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Skunk2 intake manifold

Old 04-21-2017, 10:53 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

For sure. For that purpose and added thickness helps. I'm picking up this mani thanks to your results btw lol good stuff!
Old 04-21-2017, 01:21 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

sntim any reason you went with the K series race vs street?
Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
Yeah, street wouldn't fit.. way too long runners. I was going to go with the street until I did measurements.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

interesting, do you remember the measurements?
Old 04-21-2017, 04:39 PM

interesting, do you remember the measurements?
I approximated the overall size of the street (using known length of a portion of the IM, that I cannot recall, and a photo on jhpusa IIRC). Anyway, it became clear that it'd only fit (and just barely) if skunk2 made a native F-series street. The K-series to F-series adapter plate adds nearly 2" of length.. so it blew it out of the water.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i actually tested a k series street intake manifold. the blue line is an rbc intake manifold that was ported by sbs performance, the red line the skunk2 ultra street and the green line is a stock rbc intake manifold. all three intake manifolds were tested on a k24a2.

stick to the ultra race and use an 80mm or 90mm throttle body.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by snitm
XPerformance may sell them on behalf of Jason at CNC Speedshop. Jason doesn't do direct retail sales anymore.

But Jason REALLY needs to improve on the quality of his s2000 fuel rail adapter brackets for this setup. I'm sure he'll make good on making the strongest brackets imaginable.. given my encouraging results, this is a nice opportunity for him

I'm currently broken down in CT (1h45m from my home in MA) because the fuel rail bracket broke on my way home from PA. Gas was spraying out of the top of the 4th cylinder's fuel injector (where it goes into the fuel rail) because the broken fuel rail bracket was no longer holding the fuel rail tight.
I was completely mistaken. Jason@CNC initially replied with "dang!" and then willingness to do the right thing by making new/stronger brackets but then he got progressively less responsive/willing. I now haven't heard from him well past reasonable given the circumstances. Jason@CNC should've owned his mistake more but "flakey", "evasive" and "unresponsive" are qualities that seem to be the norm for people who fancy themselves a CNC machinist. I was working 3 in parallel and hoping for one to win the race. They all didn't finish.

I ran with your K-tuned suggestion and went with the KTD-TB8-IA--B 80mm TB. John at K-tuned has been great to work with. He helped come up with a solution for how I can use a slightly modified K-tuned throttle bracket so it'll be ready for install on delivery.
(Following pic shows the K-tuned TB installed).

I thought about getting a K-series fuel rail but then I'd have to get into some serious customization of that fuel rail to get everything the s2000 setup needs attached (not to mention, monkeying with the fuel injectors).
Sooooo... glad I pulled the trigger to just switch to a K-series fuel rail. Had radium engineering overnight their fuel rail and FPR on Friday for Saturday delivery and I went nuts getting my car back on the road all weekend!

Took a while because I needed to finish splicing the K-series MAP into the s2000 harness, relocated the IACV further away which implied extending the IACV power connector, and last but not least: the EPIC leaks I was getting from the injectors and elsewhere on the fuel rail. Took forever to sort those out one by one. The biggest challenge was coming to terms with the proper o-rings for the fuel injectors (I reused the grams performance 550cc from my s2000 AEM fuel rail). For those looking to replicate my setup: use green o-rings on the bottom and brown o-rings on the top of the injectors. Also, use plenty of Permatex Aviation form-a-gasket on all threaded connections.. wonderful stuff. And I got 25mm (or 1in) steel spacers from Tractor Supply, then ground 2.5mm off of them to have them serve as the fuel rail mount spacers. These will not break.. ever. God-bless american made stainless steel.

Here is a taste of just how awful the leaking was.. scary and not fun:

Old 05-01-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing how the engine responds to the larger throttle body.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by b.r.i.a.n.
Nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing how the engine responds to the larger throttle body.
Only 6mm larger that the 74mm skunk2. Every little bit helps I suppose. But I'm not getting the car retuned for these changes. So I'll only have my butt-dyno to go on. Anyway, just letting you know I won't have overly satisfying throttle body specific feedback for you.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Only 6mm larger that the 74mm skunk2. Every little bit helps I suppose. But I'm not getting the car retuned for these changes. So I'll only have my butt-dyno to go on. Anyway, just letting you know I won't have overly satisfying throttle body specific feedback for you.
Hmmm that's actually a rather large airflow increase change. I would expect your whole fuel table to shift from this. I would at least data log/monitor your afr to see if you can get away with it safely or not. I would expect some areas of the curve to be quite lean, most notably at transient throttle application throughout the entire revband. Could be lean enough that you experience some bogging on throttle application. This is under the premise that the engine will respond favorably to a larger TB/still a bottle neck currently. In WOT you might have some to worry about there too. What this boils down to, if you expect this larger TB to work as intended your going to need to add some fuel to run safe, and also reap the benefits of more airflow, or what's the point.

Quick Reply: Skunk2 intake manifold