S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Toda Exhaust

Old 01-08-2019, 07:21 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Toda Exhaust

Yahello,
I would like to ask people that own/owned a Toda 60mm dual exhaust and ask them a few questions.
  • First, how was the overall quality and fitment?
  • Second, is there any drone, if so how bad is it and how loud is the car outside?
  • Lastly, have you run into any issues later down the road? I know a lot of the higher end jdm exhausts seem to have resonators that fail.
Also, dB readings would be awesome to know, I live in SoCal and there is a new stupid law about exhausts that are too loud, which may deter me away from the Toda exhaust even though I have wanted it for so long.

I appreciate the help!
Old 01-08-2019, 07:54 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA9nFPAl-DE&feature=youtu.be

This guy had some fitment issues on a CR. I think there were some slight under body changes for the 06+ cars (or was it AP2s?) that could cause issues.

EDIT: This might not be the same Toda dual pictured above.
EDIT 2: Yeah ignore this, I'm wrong.
The following users liked this post:
phc_86 (10-02-2022)
Old 01-08-2019, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by JamesD89
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA9n...ature=youtu.be

This guy had some fitment issues on a CR. I think there were some slight under body changes for the 06+ cars (or was it AP2s?) that could cause issues.

EDIT: This might not be the same Toda dual pictured above.
He had the Toda 70mm Version 2 which has a huge additional resonator, so it is NOT the same exhaust. The large resonator caused fitment issues, the 60mm exhaust does not use that resonator.

Reasons I want 60mm over 70mm. I know 70mm drones a lot more for the Toda exhaust and it is more expensive.
The following users liked this post:
JamesD89 (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I couldn't find any noise data on this exhaust either. California standard is 95dBA like most states and didn't change. The law change is you get the fine and have to correct it. Before now you got no fine unless you didn't correct it. Perfect excuse for a "for cause" vehicle stop and let the dog sniff your car for alcohol, weapons, and drugs.

What are you expecting to get out of this expensive exhaust? Other than the lighter weight (like about all aftermarket duals), Toda sticker (!) , and the "burned" tips that look like one version of the Q300?

You should be able to find someone in California with one on their S2000 to hear before dropping a bundle of cash.

Just for information my Tanabe Medalion Touring 60mm is advertised at under 93dBA behind the stock cat. I measured mine at 94dBA behind a Berk High Flow cat using the California measurement criteria and an OSHA calibrated noise meter. Quick video on testing. I duplicated these results on my car with an unmodified Q300 just before I replaced it with the Tanabe. The dBA scale is logarithmic so 105 dBA is twice as loud as 95 dBA. (Noise experts feel free to correct me, won't hurt my feelings.)

If you're really worried about California noise enforcement I'd personally avoid any "burned racing tip" exhausts (which scream "aftermarket") and drive a bit more conservatively than my usual AH-type driving.

-- Chuck
Old 01-18-2019, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I couldn't find any noise data on this exhaust either. California standard is 95dBA like most states and didn't change. The law change is you get the fine and have to correct it. Before now you got no fine unless you didn't correct it. Perfect excuse for a "for cause" vehicle stop and let the dog sniff your car for alcohol, weapons, and drugs.

What are you expecting to get out of this expensive exhaust? Other than the lighter weight (like about all aftermarket duals), Toda sticker (!) , and the "burned" tips that look like one version of the Q300?

You should be able to find someone in California with one on their S2000 to hear before dropping a bundle of cash.

Just for information my Tanabe Medalion Touring 60mm is advertised at under 93dBA behind the stock cat. I measured mine at 94dBA behind a Berk High Flow cat using the California measurement criteria and an OSHA calibrated noise meter. Quick video on testing. I duplicated these results on my car with an unmodified Q300 just before I replaced it with the Tanabe. The dBA scale is logarithmic so 105 dBA is twice as loud as 95 dBA. (Noise experts feel free to correct me, won't hurt my feelings.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkxJqffvoDY

If you're really worried about California noise enforcement I'd personally avoid any "burned racing tip" exhausts (which scream "aftermarket") and drive a bit more conservatively than my usual AH-type driving.

-- Chuck
Absolutely no help to my question.
I am asking people that have or currently own the exhaust. Not on people's opinions or thoughts.

Toda exhausts really aren't that common, there aren't many good videos of them either and it isn't that expensive. I can get it $1300 shipped brand new. that's pretty close to my first exhaust Greddy SE v1, which was around $1200ish new.

Q300 is literally a pile of garbage, would rather run stock exhaust.

Currently running Fujitsubo Legalis R
Old 01-18-2019, 04:20 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Maybe ear plugs is the best solution too all non OEM
Honda designed with UK mod
Get a SC with the wasted $
Old 01-18-2019, 05:15 PM

Received 349 Likes on 325 Posts

Helmholtz ?
Old 01-19-2019, 01:43 AM

Received 77 Likes on 67 Posts

Either way, it'll be loud; loud enough to get pulled over, cited, and possibly ref'd. The officers won't test the noise level during the stop, they'll just write the ticket. You'll have to make an appointment for an all day test with the BAR if you get ref'd and they'll check EVERYTHING on your car, not just the exhaust. Found a few threads with videos but seems like all those users haven't been recently active on the forum. Your best bet is to shoot one of them a PM with your questions and hope they get an email notification.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:29 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

A friend of mine used to have the dual 60mm Toda exhaust with dolphin tips, I think the tips are the only difference to the system OP is asking about.
Sounded pretty good, nothing crazy but you could definitely notice it wasn't stock.
With oem cat it had some drone around 2500rpm, nothing to bad though.
Couple of videos

Old 01-21-2019, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
A friend of mine used to have the dual 60mm Toda exhaust with dolphin tips, I think the tips are the only difference to the system OP is asking about.
Sounded pretty good, nothing crazy but you could definitely notice it wasn't stock.
With oem cat it had some drone around 2500rpm, nothing to bad though.
Couple of videos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ayNFXOZ-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKYrHaK88r0
Thank you to the only person that had anything relevant to say with my post. So far, this should have been the only reply to my thread. I've watched a lot of videos, but videos don't record all frequencies. Is the tone more on the deeper side?

Quick Reply: Toda Exhaust