S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Tuning late model DBW cars

Old 07-15-2009, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Jul 15 2009, 04:19 PM
I'm a little confused, so you have a Berk's HFC or Berk's Exhaust Manifold or both?

Adding a Manifold/Header will only lean you out further. If you had a test pipe it would be even worse.

Also when your testing the A/F Ratio, are you doing it from the tailpipe? If so I believe it reads a little high compared to the header location (which is more true)
Currently running both but to be honest the Berks is not working for me, it has certain issues around fittign in a late model RHD car and I think it's construction is the cause of a few rather annoying rattles and noises.

So part of the issue is that I'm lloking to replace the header and perhaps go Js or Toda, not much point going in that direction if the end results are that I get some silly lean AFR and dare not vtec the the thing.

By far the cheapest and safest solution for me is to put the stock header and cat back on but where's the fun in that. It also seems a bit of a waste of a Mugen intake and exhaust.

When I last had the testing done I did pulls before and after the Berk header install. Tests on the stock header were done with a tailpipe sensor, with the Berk header the sensor was plumbed into the spare boss so those are the ones I tend to go with. I also had a dyno done at the end of last year on a different dyno, at the time I had the FIPK installed and the AFR was at the same point just above vtec was mid 14. So yes I fully agree with the point that the breathing mods going on are making it go leaner.

here's the after install (current) AFR graph.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 Honda S2000 with T1R 70mm single exhaust with 70mm test pipe, J's Header, and K&N FIPK ran a 16:1 AFR!

My friend's 2006 with T1R 63mm single exhaust with 63mm test pipe, stock header, and K&N FIPK ran a 15.x:1 AFR!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go back to stock header and leave the HFC

You can contact Giles for his new blackbox Greddy ECU pretuned. It's a cool idea not sure what it would take to work for Euro spec, but I don't think it would take much
Old 07-15-2009, 11:05 AM

It's not a waste to have a mugen intake and exhaust. you will still see gains.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by devs2k,Jul 15 2009, 02:15 PM
My 2007 Honda S2000 with T1R 70mm single exhaust with 70mm test pipe, J's Header, and K&N FIPK ran a 16:1 AFR!

My friend's 2006 with T1R 63mm single exhaust with 63mm test pipe, stock header, and K&N FIPK ran a 15.x:1 AFR!
There are a lot of people running around with mods on the Late AP2's that are doing this and not tuning.

Ap1's can get away with it since it's rich from the get go, but when Honda leaned out thing in 06+, you're now asking for trouble.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Jul 15 2009, 03:07 PM
There are a lot of people running around with mods on the Late AP2's that are doing this and not tuning.

Ap1's can get away with it since it's rich from the get go, but when Honda leaned out thing in 06+, you're now asking for trouble.
Yes, we are cursed because 06+ is the most optimally tuned of the bunch, so any changes pushes it into lean territory.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by NineBolts,Jul 15 2009, 08:03 AM
It's been tried and failed. might work in the future but it's far from a tried and tested method. It's also a big old hammer to crack a smallish nut but would be good if I ever wanted to get blown...

My main aim from this is to get a little mid range improvement and keep everything in safe parameters, it's really just about getting the AFR under control.
I don't understand why it don't work for you since there are so many people using it
Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 PM

i've also asked this before, and I'm still iffy about modding my 07 too much before a tune.

my case is: Fujita CAI, T1R 70R-EM Dual, and i've got a 70MM Invidia Test Pipe in transit to me. (J's Header a little later on)

I don't know whether or not to put the Test Pipe on when it comes in since the TP and aftermarket Headers is what funks the AFR up so bad supposedly.

That E-Manage Black is very enticing too since Giles' shop is really far from me, and I'd be able to use the dip switches when I add more shat. The pricetag is kinda steep though for it and I don't think you can use it for boost. And it's a locked unit too i believe. For some reason, I still want it kinda bad though lmao

EMU or Hondata Toda Reflash/ Flashpro *fingers crossed* are also options I'm looking into. For EMU, you gotta find a competent tuner, so that's a big factor, but it does a lot for the buck.
The Toda Reflash has always had good reviews about it, but if Flashpro comes out any time soon, I'd probably pick that up since it's more flexible than just a reflash.

What to spend money on though? I don't quite know yet.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Anything above 13.2 to too lean IMO, i think a little leaner in vtec for a split second is okay.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in the states the highest octane we have is 93 and like someone said there are a few of us like me for awhile were running around with similar mods and not tuning. but in europe, do you guys have higher octane? which would be alot safer that doing the same over here.

Quick Reply: Tuning late model DBW cars