S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Tuning late model DBW cars

Old 09-27-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by devs2k,Sep 28 2009, 12:31 AM
That's not to say changing timing is not advantageous.
If it doesn't make any horsepower and the engine is fine what advantage would there be? I mean that's not going to be the case on every car but was for mine. I don't really believe in the slap a tune on a car from someone elses concept, especially when I have seen same model year with exact same mods except they have an intake whereas I have stock one and I made 4 more whp.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MY tuning class taught me that 4 bangers should be stoich in the 14.7-14.7 range. I think low 15's would be ok, 16 and above is way too lean.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShocK,Sep 27 2009, 08:10 PM
EMU + good wideband and tune the a/f ratios yourself, its not difficult. My car needed no timing whatsoever so all we did was a/f and I was done.
Exactly, the EMU has an auto tune for the AFR's this works great if your have a desired AFR in mind.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by jari8378,Sep 28 2009, 02:11 AM
MY tuning class taught me that 4 bangers should be stoich in the 14.7-14.7 range. I think low 15's would be ok, 16 and above is way too lean.
You are talking about closed loop.

WOT is open loop. There is no way 14.7 is safe at WOT.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 PM

[QUOTE=ShocK,Sep 28 2009, 12:57 AM] If it doesn't make any horsepower and the engine is fine what advantage would there be?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by devs2k,Sep 28 2009, 02:22 AM
A custom tune is always better, but I find the breadth of tuners with respect to the Emanage to be quite lacking. I think I would trust someone who has tuned over 100s of them.
Really if you can find a good dyno with good equipment its pretty straight forward to do the a/f and timing. The hollyroller guys have done lots for the community and made the EMU much easier to deal with, and they may have some options that are good for some people, but really its an NA car after all and A/F and timing are all thats worth dealing with IMO. As for the launch control, thats available on any EMU as far as I know, I can set it on mine and all I did was buy the EMU and boomslang harness. But once again thats just useless bs to make you feel better about dropping $1k on an EMU (by the time its tuned and all)thats barely better than a VAFC. I really dont like the EMU but its doing the job for now. A good standalone is a better option but like you said with the lack of credible tuners thats a far fetched dream for most people outside of the big cities. I'd love an HKS unit but there is no one within hours of here and Haltech is still in development for a fully capable replacement ecu for the DBW cars. Hopefully I'll get to do some testing on my car with one of the first units.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:39 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBolts,Jul 14 2009, 05:42 PM
Most of the time the AFR is where it should be, for a second or few it goes too lean is this really a problem?

The stock ECU with its knock sensor should pull back if it sees anything going too wrong shouldn't it?

All the Dynos have been done open loop and WOT, does the same thing happen in vtec and closed loop?

I'm pretty sure I can be closed loop and vtec, because I have a scanguage and monitor throttle position and loop condition or am I really getting confused?

Should I stop wasting money on bits that don't make it any faster and put my OEM Cat and header back on the car?

How can I get the AFR back under control in a DBW - piggy back ECU?

Some owners have tried Dastek, I've read some less than glowing reports for Apexi VAFC2. What about HKS F-Con Greddy or others?
An AFR of 14.2 is not good, even for short durations.

It highlights that your car is suffering a bit from the breathing mods, and could do with an AFR tweak.

I'd run on 99 Ron as it offers better detonation resistance.

When you say open and closed loop on the dyno, it can only run in open loop fuelling control, to my mind as you are at WOT. Closed loop is used when idling and cruise - when you have your foot down or in vtec it switches to open loop. Basically the injectors switch from pulse firing to full firing and then are controlled on pressure. When in open loop, fixed fuelling tables are used with input from various engine sensors to tweak it, but they can only tweak so far.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:25 AM

so i just looked at holyroller dyno page.. umm they are closing?
Old 10-05-2009, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by cboyarskirn,Oct 5 2009, 09:25 AM
so i just looked at holyroller dyno page.. umm they are closing?
Yep.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 AM

hmm that kinda sucks if you buy the emanage black and then you can't get any customer support cuz the businesss is closed...

Quick Reply: Tuning late model DBW cars