S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

URGE designs Project thread

Old 12-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: the oval throttle ITBs. I could care less about flow data. What I'd **love** to see is two dyno charts.

One of an engine with a completely stock bottom end, cams, and head, maybe a header, intake, exhaust and tune. Something with a stock or near stock redline. Then, the same engine with NO OTHER CHANGES except these ITBs and a tune to match them.

That is the motor that 80+% of your customers will be driving. We aren't driving a flow bench. We don't give a poop what the flow numbers are. We care about the difference in whp these parts might make on OUR engines.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by grubinski
Re: the oval throttle ITBs. I could care less about flow data. What I'd **love** to see is two dyno charts.

One of an engine with a completely stock bottom end, cams, and head, maybe a header, intake, exhaust and tune. Something with a stock or near stock redline. Then, the same engine with NO OTHER CHANGES except these ITBs and a tune to match them.

That is the motor that 80+% of your customers will be driving. We aren't driving a flow bench. We don't give a poop what the flow numbers are. We care about the difference in whp these parts might make on OUR engines.
Completely agree. Flow numbers are just an indicator. We will have a before an after tuned dyno from a tester with stock cams, head and bottom end, only bolt ons.

Old 12-15-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Many of us do care about the numbers. Especially guys like me who is building an engine and needs this data for the head porter and cam designer.

Also, there have been some nice ITB kits on the market, but the customer base is still relatively small. The average guy with a stock motor and bolt ons doesn't just jump to ITB’S.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vitt
Originally Posted by Cheers!' timestamp='1418409955' post='23435408
Whatever happens do not use vibrant crap products. They are marginally better than no name eBay stuff.

It would be a shame to waste an amazing design Gernby made by cheapening it with poor inferior products.
Interesting. How do you know that? have you cut open Vibrant products and compared to cut open ebay ones? I don't know how long mine will last but it sounds quite good, although I don't know how it would sound with a Magnaflow. I know Magnaflow cat-back systems seem to have a poor fit (lots of guys with MK7 GTI's reported this with the system they ordered).
As a matter of fact I did. I ran vibrant products while I was racing in CASC Solo1 about 7 years back on my 1989 Mazda Rx7 TurboII. I melted generic vibrant's mufflers sound deaden, I then blew open 1 of the 2 mufflers at a weld. I also managed to collapse a vibrant cone air filter (somehow the plastic cage deformed). I also had issues when I bought generic vibrant branded 3" aluminum tubing and vibrant 3" silicon couplers to retrofit a Greddy FMIC (from another car) onto my rx7. The 3" couplers measured slightly undersize in ID, and the aluminum measured slightly oversize in OD, resulting in vibrant's own branded stuff not fitting with each other. After that I vowed to just suck it up and pay for the good stuff. I.e. Apexi, Greddy, HKS...etc...
Old 12-17-2014, 02:24 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice to see new (and out of production) stuff coming out for the S!
Old 12-19-2014, 04:24 PM
Sponsor

OK time for a Major Announcement on the Gernby Mid-Pipe..

We can officially announce that we are working with Type One Racing to produce the Muffler system. We are very grateful to work with T1R and Ben. After looking at the design work, trying to source the mufflers ourselves, making a jig, etc, it simply didnt make sense. We approached T1R a few weeks ago to see if we can simply buy their Dual Mufflers system and we would produce our own Mid Pipes to connect to them. They loved the idea and gave us a great quote for the muffler system. They were also flexible enough to make a Single System Based on the dual design so we can manufacture one Mid Pipes tgive the customer the option of Dual or Single rear end.

I have personally been running a T1R Dual for 3 years on my car and feel it is the perfect blend of performance, quality and value. Amuse might be one of the few system with better quality, but the T1R has the best proven performance and arguably the best value.

To account for slop between aftermarket headers and the tight clearances the Gernpipe needs (it is 4-5" diameter in some places) we will build in a flex pipe and provide some adjustable hanger mounts.

So we will offer the Gernpipe in 3 options..
  1. w/ T1R 70mm dual back end, oval muffler 2/ straight gradient tips
  2. w/ T1R 70mm single back end, oval muffler w/ straight gradient tips
  3. Stand alone to connect to any users that already have a T1R Dual (again our singles are custom so it wont fit T1R singles)

One last thing, in addition to providing extra torque with the patented Mid-Pipe design, Gernby also focused on Drone Reduction so this should provide the best of all worlds.

Again, thank you to Ben @ T1R and Gernby. We look forward to getting these out soon.

Gernby will be mocking up a custom mid pipe to connect to my T1R over the next few weeks. I will send that to manufacturing to get a jig and prototype built. We will check for QC, make adjustments and dyno before and after vs OEM, other after market exhausts. Still a few months away from release but I am pushing for a Spring availability.

Thank you for reading..

Old 12-19-2014, 05:13 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

good to hear! I know its still very early stages but any idea where the pricing will end up being? Lower/same/higher than gernby's previous pricing?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you plan on any drone testing? That'd be great if you would compare to my loud a$$ HKS single.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how the single turns out. Any word on the what the muffler and tip design will be? Will it be similar to one of their currents systems.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:58 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by afzan
good to hear! I know its still very early stages but any idea where the pricing will end up being? Lower/same/higher than gernby's previous pricing?
Not yet, still trying to get finalized pricing.

Originally Posted by award78
Do you plan on any drone testing? That'd be great if you would compare to my loud a$$ HKS single.
Gernby did a of sound testing for drone and we expect the same results. The Drone is based upon the resonator and Gernbys mid-pipe specifically addressed the drone issue.

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how the single turns out. Any word on the what the muffler and tip design will be? Will it be similar to one of their currents systems.
Yup, we mentioned it in the post. Our spec will have oval mufflers, straight tips with gradient coloring. The only thing we didnt mention is that they should be 70mm in diameter.

Quick Reply: URGE designs Project thread