S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

URGE designs Project thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:09 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Topplayer
does anyone have the single with the ap1 bumper?
anyone other than sillyboy install the single yet?
Old 10-20-2015, 06:12 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I've been running an E-Manage with Karcepts STR tune this season with the stock exhaust in anticipation of the STR spec mid pipe and T1R duals. Between 4K and 5K rpms, it has felt like the motor is choked. The lower vtec engagement point has not been much of a benefit. With the STR mid pipe, I'm definitely feeling the the improved breathing in that range! Steady state cruising is comfortable if you keep the revs above 3500 rpm. Below 3500 it is a little louder than I'd like. I feel like a 17 year old kid looking for attention leaving stop lights now. Already had a ricer Civic chase me down on the way to work this morning.
The STR pipe is at least partly to blame for the noise. If it's particularly annoying, then you might see if you could buy a non-STR expansion pipe (just the front piece), so you could swap back and forth. My guess is that you could run the non-STR pipe for 95% of the autocrosses you attend, and just swap in the STR version for the important events. They perform the same, so it's really just about avoiding a challenge.

I really hope that SCCA will open up the rule, so that the STR version can just go away...
The following users liked this post:
tom9933 (08-19-2019)
Old 10-20-2015, 08:27 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Is there an actual exterior visual difference between the two versions??
Old 10-20-2015, 08:39 AM
Sponsor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Is there an actual exterior visual difference between the two versions??
Yes STR does not have the 5" expansion with 4" perforated cone due to clearance issues.

URGE STR top
Original Gernby Middle
URGE Regular Bottom

[attachment=86554:STR vs Original vs URGE Gernpipes.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails URGE designs Project thread-str-vs-original-vs-urge-gernpipes.jpg  

Old 10-20-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

WAs there ever db rating taken on these setups? I want to know if it's quieter than my t1r-em 70mm single and by how much.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
WAs there ever db rating taken on these setups? I want to know if it's quieter than my t1r-em 70mm single and by how much.
We talked about doing some sort of dB test, but we couldn't come up with an objective approach. There really isn't a standardized testing method that I'm aware of. The SCCA test method gives extremely inconsistent measurements, so it seems they haven't really come up with a good method either.
Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a meter and can do the test, just let me know the specs of the test I.E. how far away you want the microphone from the drive by

every track I've been too takes a different approach. from different angles, and different parts of the track( different rpm, and load)
Old 10-21-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if this has been answered to death but I just want to be absolutely sure the STR version performs identically to the non-STR version. Looking at the pictures, it looks to me like the STR version expands less than the regular version which, to my understanding of engine acoustics, could effect the intensity and timing of the sound wave coming back to the engine to shove more air into the cylinder. Gernby, could you please explain why the difference in dimensions between the two mid pipes would not adversely affect performance? Also, could you please tell me, and perhaps show me with plots, that the HP and Torque increase is the same across the entire rpm range for the STR and the regular midpipe? Again, sorry if this has been asked to death but I just want to understand and be certain that I wont be losing out on performance going with an STR super-legal midpipe.

Also is there a consensus on which header is best for this to bolt on to the back of? Was thinking of going with a PLM header (sorry URGE), so I am wondering whether header choice affects performance significantly.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:24 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by thepoi
Just finished buttoning mine up--connected to a 3" back section to a Vibrant muffler. Inaugural test drive tomorrow morning, hoping for minimal drone!
Just curious why you went that route, any pictures of your completed setup?

Originally Posted by korinfox
since I didn't weld on the extra hanger that goes to the diff collars
a couple of people mentioned this, is there a hanger missing on the single?
Old 10-22-2015, 04:16 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldnt say its "missing" but URGE supplied us with a differential mount and extra hanger "in case".
I was reading through Gernbys original thread and he mentioned he choose not use the center hanger because it would interfere with adjustment and it just wasnt needed because the midpipe is so light compared to the oem cat/center setion, it would also pull the pipe closer to tunnel which is the opposite of what we want at that area.

I thought the single system was just fine and sturdy without extra hangers, until I got a vibration. Putting the differential mount on and temporarily mounting something (wire/metal clamp) around the exhaust to pull it away from where it randomly touched was enough to fix the problem.
If you're like me and dont have any idea who to take it to get welded, something like this might be a more permanent solution although i can see some people not needing anything depending on their hangers used.
http://www.summitracing.com/nv/parts...h11s/overview/

Edit: i just clicked the link and it didnt go anywhere so if for some reason that link doesnt work, search "pypes exhaust hanger" . Its basically a bolt on hanger.

Quick Reply: URGE designs Project thread