S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

Venturing above 9k

Old 10-08-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've "heard" Oscar Jackson Jr. has his AP1 reving to 10krpm.. not sure if this is true, but just something i heard.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Oct 8 2008, 07:54 AM
Key element here would be the weight of the component in the engine. You would want to go as light as possible. Also doesn't matter what kind of motor build you have....you won't make any kind of power beyond 9K without some custom cams.
I'm not so sure that's entirely true on the centrifugal.......there comes a point where it just won't make any more power because it's overspinning. It'd be interesting to find out what point that is on the blowers used on S2k's.

I guess the big question would be: What aftermarket cams will make power above stock redline?

Then you have to look at valvetrain to make sure it can support it, and make sure piston speeds don't get so high as to be dangerous to the crankshaft.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 PM

There is a difference between it revs to 10k and it makes decent power to 10k. Valve train weight reduction -valve train stability- is the key area for making this motor reliable for the increased revs. I would look at making rockers like those from Prototype Racing.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never want to remove vtec. Its the single greatest invention ever

**** the power, if its makes steady power and doesnt drop off then so be it, id rather use gearing to make up for the lack of increasing hp. But thats just me, i always like trying different stuff.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by S2Kage,Oct 8 2008, 09:44 PM
I would never want to remove vtec. Its the single greatest invention ever
Anyone building a serious race car has likely put "VTEC killer cams" in. The VTEC system is great for a street-driven car, but for something spending 99% of its time near redline @ WOT....it's just dead weight.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:04 AM

^ its not like your losing power uptop you just dont have the lower profile lobes for streetable low rpm driving. Another thing is how long do you want the engine to last going with lighter valvetrain is good and all for high rpms but titanium wont last as long as oem and you will have to replace all those parts every 30k. please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:35 PM

Again, anyone who is seriously racing the car is rebuilding the motor after every few races anyways. As long as it grenades just after they roll through the finish line, mission accomplished.
Old 10-10-2008, 06:42 PM

its not like your losing power uptop you just dont have the lower profile lobes for streetable low rpm driving. Another thing is how long do you want the engine to last going with lighter valvetrain is good and all for high rpms but titanium wont last as long as oem and you will have to replace all those parts every 30k. please correct me if I am wrong.
Not so sure about the titanium part but yeah thats why vtec is so nice to have. Besides, how much fun is vtec cross over?

Anyone building a serious race car has likely put "VTEC killer cams" in. The VTEC system is great for a street-driven car, but for something spending 99% of its time near redline @ WOT....it's just dead weight.
Since when were toda vtec killers available for S2ks? it prolly accounts very few measureable hp loss by leaving the vtec system in.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 PM

Im pretty sure about the titanium. Reaserch it some more if not then Ill explaine to you when i see you tom.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:39 AM

iight bro, yo come over tomorrow im finishing up the clutch on my neighbors G35.

Quick Reply: Venturing above 9k