S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

VHT Flameproof Primer on test pipe

Old 04-17-2016, 10:56 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDMpearlwhyteZ
What are you actually trying to accomplish by wrapping the test pipe only?
Nothing really. My dad had a roll of the heat wrap so I put it on. Figured it wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:09 AM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I put mine on like this, haven't had any noticeable heat increase. Although I'm under the impression that a catalytic converter would get hotter than a test pipe.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:38 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just dropped my header and test pipe off last week to get ceramic coated. Adding the test pipe to the bill was cheap, so I figured why not. Keeping the heat in the exhaust as long as possible should help with exhaust gas velocity.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

The header makes sense to worry about heat since it is in the engine bay but the test pipe is under the car and the heat isn't really as much of a concern so long as there isn't things near it that could be melted (which I don't think there is). I usually paint my exhausts and test pipes with the VHT high heat paint since in Seattle the roads are pretty wet (though I don't drive the car much) just to give the stainless parts a bit of corrosion protection. I wouldn't be concerned with the heat part on the test pipe since its not int he engine bay but thats just me.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Its an $80 part. After 15 years when it finally wears through the chrome/stainless finish and corrodes to the point of failure (IF it ever does) buy another one. Or you can buy one now and stock pile it if you think there will be a shortage lol. My wild guess is that the TP will outlive your ownership of the car though.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by rmerchant3
I just dropped my header and test pipe off last week to get ceramic coated. Adding the test pipe to the bill was cheap, so I figured why not. Keeping the heat in the exhaust as long as possible should help with exhaust gas velocity.
I wanted to do this but I need to find a place that does this. That and I had vht and wrap on hand.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Its an $80 part. After 15 years when it finally wears through the chrome/stainless finish and corrodes to the point of failure (IF it ever does) buy another one. Or you can buy one now and stock pile it if you think there will be a shortage lol. My wild guess is that the TP will outlive your ownership of the car though.
"...the car will outlive your ownership of the TP though."

Fixed! Lol

We'll see if I can stand the smell of the test pipe.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

So what are the results on this?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by JDMpearlwhyteZ
So what are the results on this?
The results were pretty good. So long as you follow the procedures written on the can it will work. The primer is holding up strong on the test pipe. I did the same thing to an hfc but i added their brake paint on top of the primer. In the cat section of the hfc the brake paint bubbled up but held strong before and after the catalyst section. The primer most likely held up fine but i have yet to check
Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I just did this for a test pipe I had welded up, knowing the welds rust before the stainless steel does, the main purpose of the VHT spray was to hinder corrosion on the welds for just a little longer. For $10, seems like cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: VHT Flameproof Primer on test pipe