S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

17x9 255/40/17 allingment set up

Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17x9 255/40/17 allingment set up

so i will be running Advan RCII 17x9+35 with hankook rs-3 255/40/17 square set up, i was wondering what type of allingment set up you guys recomend, the car is droped about 1.5" on coilover 12k up front and rear, fender modifications dont matter as will mold the fenders to fit the allingment set up, the main purpose of the car will be, spirited weekend driving and a few track days, no Autocross, im not trying to do the whole "hellaflush" thing, i was thinking something like -1.5 to -2.0 up front and -2.something to -3.25 in the rear, 0 toe up front and 0.32 in the rear, what do you guys think? any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This set up will not work well and will exhibit strong oversteer unless you stiffen the front roll rate either by sway bar or spring rate change.

For your use, I'd suggest -1.8 up front with no toe and -2 in the back with no toe. I recommend no rear toe because you'll wear your tires prematurely if you run toe and since you are going to have to do something about the front roll rate, you could make sure you have enough stiffness up there to not need the stability that rear toe adds.

Also, I would not recommend RS-3's for the street since they pretty much suck unless hot and it's difficult to ensure that your tires are warmed up by the time you are ready to perform a "spirited" maneuver. Also, they are hard to obtain. I'd recommend the Dunlop as it's a much better street tire.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 AM

thanks for your input, do you think i could get away with 2.5 in the rear?
Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't daily drive my s2k and I have RS3s and I've had absolutely no problems with them even when driven in fairly low temps (30-40 degrees) As long as you don't go out and drive like a dummy you won't have problems.

I do agree though that the Star Spec is a better overall tire. I've really like the RS3 but will probably switch to the Dunlops once my RS3s are dead.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 AM

really? i had Z1's before and i didnt like them,maybe its because i DD my S back when i had them
Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by glagola1
This set up will not work well and will exhibit strong oversteer unless you stiffen the front roll rate either by sway bar or spring rate change.

For your use, I'd suggest -1.8 up front with no toe and -2 in the back with no toe. I recommend no rear toe because you'll wear your tires prematurely if you run toe and since you are going to have to do something about the front roll rate, you could make sure you have enough stiffness up there to not need the stability that rear toe adds.

Also, I would not recommend RS-3's for the street since they pretty much suck unless hot and it's difficult to ensure that your tires are warmed up by the time you are ready to perform a "spirited" maneuver. Also, they are hard to obtain. I'd recommend the Dunlop as it's a much better street tire.
What Matt said +1. I would run a minimal amount of rear toe just for personal preference on stability in exchange for faster tire wear. I have many local roads with grooves and irregularities turn the steering wheel for me. More toe-in helps reduce this type of feedback.

More camber in the rear will result in more camber wear and mess overall tire life. On my AP1 (daily driven), I run -2 camber front and rear, 1/16 total toe-in rear, 0 toe front on 255x4 RS3s (retired STR tires). IMO, The Star Specs are a better overall street tire despite the stiffer side walls. They dont make as much noise and have a crisper turn-in/feedback to the driver.

-Marc
Old 04-04-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by yumad
so i will be running Advan RCII 17x9+35 with hankook rs-3 255/40/17 square set up, i was wondering what type of allingment set up you guys recomend, the car is droped about 1.5" on coilover 12k up front and rear, fender modifications dont matter as will mold the fenders to fit the allingment set up, the main purpose of the car will be, spirited weekend driving and a few track days, no Autocross, im not trying to do the whole "hellaflush" thing, i was thinking something like -1.5 to -2.0 up front and -2.something to -3.25 in the rear, 0 toe up front and 0.32 in the rear, what do you guys think? any suggestions?
+35 is a pretty aggressive offset for non-hellaflush.

How many trackdays have you done? versus which tracks are you planning on driving? This will change the advice if you are street only.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:37 AM

looking to do about 2-4 track days, as of right now i have only gotten seat time, because my car has been down for the winter, i do plan to take some of the courses and what not and i know +35 is preaty agressive but i got a hell of a deal on the wheels and i plan to have the car re-painted so i dont mind doing the body work to make the wheels fit with the right specs
Old 04-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by yumad
looking to do about 2-4 track days, as of right now i have only gotten seat time, because my car has been down for the winter, i do plan to take some of the courses and what not and i know +35 is preaty agressive but i got a hell of a deal on the wheels and i plan to have the car re-painted so i dont mind doing the body work to make the wheels fit with the right specs
2-4 trackdays a year? or a month?

You'll have to do body work regardless of alignment.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 AM

for this year it will be 2-4 track days, and i know about the body work

Quick Reply: 17x9 255/40/17 allingment set up