S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2013 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Discussion

Old 10-30-2012, 07:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No likey CVR!!!??? Thats a great track
Agree on the MOD R Weight....Id like to play in MOD R
Old 10-30-2012, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking about mod-r as well. Only because I never really get to use r-comps.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 565 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by f20kills
Agreed on this. It's my favorite track. I like it at least equally if not more than BW 13CW. There's a lot of variation to the track, and more importantly, it has the best run offs and the best kind of dirt for going off. (BW is my second favorite track).

Aside from flying off of the back end of the bowl, hitting the wall at the front straight, or hitting another car, i see very few areas to totally mess up your car from an error.

I also feel that it taught me a lot about driving dynamics. the long sweeping steady state turns truly teaches you more about car control and throttle steering. The elevation change and off cambered corner is nice too.

I can see the dislike due to a complete lack of facilities, though and possible driving distance. Still, i'd trade the second ACS event for a second running of CVR (or WSIR, or throw in the random T-hill, or Infineon event - though i'd likely be a no show for those latter 2).

As for me, I don't think I'll make 8 events next year, but I'll definitely be signing up for CVR and most likely will try my best to also make Spring Mountain. After that, i'll probably join in for a BW event, and decide what to do with my other two days that i'm going to budget for.

As for my car, I'll likely be in STREET next year with a massive points deficit. I won't be competitive - it'll be just for fun. I also can't stand it anymore and really want to run the car with a square setup and wing.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by albertg
I was thinking about mod-r as well. Only because I never really get to use r-comps.
And I was thinking of RS-3's and more points for aero. Not sure which is faster but I'm sure it's track dependent. I'm not saying the points are off because I'm sure I'm the one that's not utilizing the full grip available.

I'd swap one day if anyone wants to test back to back for some data.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe mix the formats more and try to do a decent amount of D formats or 1/2 D format. not sure if we would be able to run D at all events , or could we?

or E format - only session 3 and 4 count for time.. temps would be closer together/more warm up time would be available, BUT in the summer we wouldnt have the option to compete in the cooler morning air which would be even more limiting to some cars with stock radiators... might be a decent option in the winter months ?

bottom line is driving in the summer sucks, we should do a night event in the summer......

Spring Mountain oct5,6 sounds great- never been there and its a doable distance.. thunderhill and infinion are not on the schedule at the moment and they seem like a huge drive which might limit drivers(i would try to attend)... i would go to chuckwalla in the fall for a second time if aaron can add a date

stock should be stock but maybe each class could have minimal additional points added for vehicle progression.. maybe stock adds .125 , street .125 or .250 , mod .250...

i agree with bullwings that different set ups work at different tracks
Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Haha, I was thinking Autoclub, I like CVR.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After driving a lot of cars, I'm actually in favor of a minor change to the point system.

The SRCs are significantly better than the KW V3. I wouldn't be opposed to lowering the MSRP cap to make SRCs more points...

Other than that, the revised point system used for 2012 seems to be doing exactly what it should be.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by f20kills
CVR CW is sooo fun, my favorite, great rhythm, and beautiful combination of technical and high speed sweepers.
CVR CCW - not so much (everything tightens up/slows down).

TIRES -

We ran Street tires for the last two years which has been great on the pocket book and easy to deal with driving up to the track (no swapping of tires). I've been getting 4-5 "fast" trackdays from the RS3's plus 3-4 "ok" days (~1.0s slower) = 2 sets for the season.

But - is everyone really looking to do R-comps again?

Those of you who do come to all the events, please chime in as it will impact your wallets the most...

WEIGHT (refresher)...

Most of you know the math already.

For reference, my car is at 2877lbs at a "minimum streetable level" (i.e. me and passenger can drive to any track/any time of year).

Harddog bar - full INT trim (fwd of B-plr), rear trim/hoops removed
no soft top/fiberglass hardtop
OEM pass. seat+Pass SRS (my son rides with me to the track)
Race seat for driver
AC/Radio/Cruise/Airpump/OEM Airbox
tp/header/ti exhaust
17x10 949/RS-3's
plywood splitter/endplates
carbon trunk/wing
driver 180lb
full tank of gas

If I run the gas down to fumes, I'm hovering at 2800+.

I can probably squeeze some weight out (plywood>>>alumalite), but I can't get -50 lbs out without really gutting it out (basically remove AC/Radio/Cruise/Airpump/OEM Airbox, maybe INT, and go on a liquid diet).

This is just for reference...but I'd think we need to be careful not to turn this into a "who's going to gut their car the most" competition.

MOD SPLIT -

We consciously combined the classes this year with a single MOD class and got quite a few MOD cars in a highly competitive field (...well, atleast until the summer came).

Event # : Mod Car count#
1:10
2: 8
3: 7
4: 6
5: 4
6: 3
7: 2
8: 4
9: 3

If we split MOD, we'll probably have only 2-3 cars per class (tops) at a majority of the events.
Is this ok for you guys?

MOD and potential-MOD class guys, please chime in!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by psychoazn
I'm all for option D, but it tends to scare off the newbies... I think?
How about :
STOCK Class : FTD (or FTD+Do-or-Die)
and
Street and MOD : TT @ end of day

Newbies in STOCK can do the DoD session to train for the TT or can run exhibition in the TT...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My feeling that stock class points should go up is really dependent on what the "Spec Class" is/becomes.

Aerodynamics = 1.375
0.125 = OEM-style hard-top (includes Mugen/Mugen replicas)
1.25 = Level 2 Wing: Voltex 1S wing
Wheel and Tires = 1.50
0.00 = Any street tire: TW 140+
0.75 = 255 Front tire size
0.75 = Aftermarket wheels 10" x 10"
Power and Engine = .375
0.25 = Test-pipe
0.125 = Cat-back exhaust
Suspension = 1.50
1.50 = Full coilover suspension up to $3500 MSRP

My S is at 4.75 points, I'd have to go to a stock cat, 9" wheels and 245 front tires to force it into the current rules for "Street" which I'm not interested in doing, but; because of the 10" wheels, it can't qualify for spec class, so It would have to compete in "Mod R".
Anyone narrowly missing the point cutoff for "Street" that can't fit into "Spec" would be in the same boat.

Will vented hood, fenders, and trimmed rear bumpers be allowed in "Spec"? They seem like reasonable mods.

Quick Reply: 2013 Speed Ventures S2K Challenge Discussion