S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

2018 S2K Challenge discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 05:38 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by aabatteries
Should totally make an east coast challenge for 2019 since NASA decided to stick it to the S2k.
The rules are pretty much open and free for use. Anyone wanting to have a go at running it im happy to answer any questions i can.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

speed ventures runs CVR in Feb and March, and I noticed that it was off of the schedule and only November is on there - hopefully the Nov is CW and not CCW.

I guess CVR isn't that popular. Oh well, i'll see you guys next saturday.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwings
speed ventures runs CVR in Feb and March, and I noticed that it was off of the schedule and only November is on there - hopefully the Nov is CW and not CCW.

I guess CVR isn't that popular. Oh well, i'll see you guys next saturday.
I know CVR is my favorite socal track but its not a strongly attended event and we wanted to fit the LVMS event on the calendar, while avoiding conflict with NASA for anyone wanted to double up.

Im also sad no sonoma this year but it hasnt been strongly attended due to distance and cost (though anyone that goes always loves it)
The following users liked this post:
Chibo (12-08-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My understanding was that Mod Class allowed 2 major modifications to be performed or basically some sort of balance of the others. For example, aero, suspension, street tire, and minor bolt-ons. Super Mod allows for R-Comp and all the bolt-ons possible. Street Class would be a balance of light aero, street tires, simple suspension, and minor bolt-ons. However, the 7pt Mod allowance is quite generous already...this would allow some pretty major modded cars like Imperious Rex to provide some serious competition to Anorexicpoodle. I'm going to enjoy watching on the sidelines unless I can somehow piece together a reliable car at 4.25pts.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
We are bumping mod from 6.5 to 7 to pull the non FI cars back down. Any more and it opens up class and wallet breaking setups like running full R-comps in mod and that will then make that necessary to compete.

We went through the standard supermod setups before boost got popular and 7 points would cover pretty much all of it with few exceptions. Even the most wild setups would fit into mod without FI/displacement change or full R-comps. It also means most FI setups are going to be limited to little or no aero in mod.

We also just dont get much critical mass in supermod. 3-5 drivers max and thats sporadic, so pulling unlimited down into it and clearing out the NA guys at the bottom into mod feels like it makes a lot of sense. Thicker fields and more level competition.

It has the added benefit of letting a mod car potentially swap over to NASA TT4 if you prep carefully and have 2 sets of wheels, while supermod now crosses right into TT2 for FI cars.

Point well taken. Thanks for the clarification!

Now I need to find a way to take off some useless parts off the car that adds points but don't have any benefits to the car itself.... lol

Another thing to think about... I am not sure if it's been brought up before but the points added by the wheel width.... does it really make that much difference between say, a 9.5 in width vs 10 in width wheel?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S2000s are expensive to modify
Old 12-08-2017, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by helothere
Another thing to think about... I am not sure if it's been brought up before but the points added by the wheel width.... does it really make that much difference between say, a 9.5 in width vs 10 in width wheel?
Depending on the tire, yes. You will produce more lateral grip on a wider wheel if the tire has enough section width to support it, up to a certain point.

In the 255 tires pretty much everything will go faster on a 10 than a 9.5. That being said, a 9.5 isnt massively slower and many drivers cannot tell the difference. I moved from a 9.5 to a 10 mostly because i bent my 9.5's and 10's were more readily available for less money (949 racing).

Remember the points system works out to about 1 second around BW13CW = 1 point so most drivers cannot "feel" a 0.125 sec difference in wheel width but data rarely lies.
The following 2 users liked this post by anorexicpoodle:
Chibo (01-30-2018), helothere (12-08-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 01:00 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

That's an interesting benchmark, huh.

I do have one question - the level 1 R-Comp is listed as .5 points, and the RE71R/Rival is listed as a 1 point tire. I assumed that .5 was a typo and it was actually 1.5 points. Is that correct?
Old 12-08-2017, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Depending on the tire, yes. You will produce more lateral grip on a wider wheel if the tire has enough section width to support it, up to a certain point.

In the 255 tires pretty much everything will go faster on a 10 than a 9.5. That being said, a 9.5 isnt massively slower and many drivers cannot tell the difference. I moved from a 9.5 to a 10 mostly because i bent my 9.5's and 10's were more readily available for less money (949 racing).

Remember the points system works out to about 1 second around BW13CW = 1 point so most drivers cannot "feel" a 0.125 sec difference in wheel width but data rarely lies.

Understood.

Originally Posted by Chibo
That's an interesting benchmark, huh.

I do have one question - the level 1 R-Comp is listed as .5 points, and the RE71R/Rival is listed as a 1 point tire. I assumed that .5 was a typo and it was actually 1.5 points. Is that correct?
Actually not, since RE71R is faster tire than the NT01 RC1 etc..

Which brings me to this actually, shouldn't we update some points to newly available tires that people use?

For example, Nexen SUR4G , Hankook RS4, Federal RS-RR and such should be on the list and need to be determined if they would need some point assigned to them or not.....
Old 12-08-2017, 01:28 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Ah well. I'm at 3.25pt with 0 point tires, stuck either way.

Quick Reply: 2018 S2K Challenge discussion