S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

6 Inside Tips on How to Become a Pro Driver

Old 03-13-2019, 11:10 AM
IB Staff

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Default 6 Inside Tips on How to Become a Pro Driver

6 Inside Tips on How to Become a Pro Driver
By Christopher Hurst

Have you ever wondered if you have what it takes to mix it up at the higher levels of motorsports? If you are serious, here at the concrete things you need to do.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:34 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

"How to make a small fortune in racing: start with a large one."

Somehow I doubt anyone on this forum harbors pro-racing dreams. If they did, they would be in Spec Miata, Spec Racer Ford, or one of the smaller but still competitive pro series. Possibly an amateur formula series as a prelude to F3 or FF2000. Or be racing on oval tracks. And be working around the clock to pay for it, unless their name was Stroll or equivalent. Increasingly these days new stars are already winners in competitive series before they are 18. They are considered old at 24.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:10 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

E
Originally Posted by DavidNJ
"How to make a small fortune in racing: start with a large one."

Somehow I doubt anyone on this forum harbors pro-racing dreams. If they did, they would be in Spec Miata, Spec Racer Ford, or one of the smaller but still competitive pro series. Possibly an amateur formula series as a prelude to F3 or FF2000. Or be racing on oval tracks. And be working around the clock to pay for it, unless their name was Stroll or equivalent. Increasingly these days new stars are already winners in competitive series before they are 18. They are considered old at 24.
so true. A story is breaking about how the elite wealthy have controlled Karting at the highest levels to gain access to racing for the silver spoon kids. A more relavent article that I would read with great interest is “how to run s race car on $1.98 a day”. Chumpcar is very impressive.....you see people fabricating solutions with McGyver skills.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by miamirice
E

so true. A story is breaking about how the elite wealthy have controlled Karting at the highest levels to gain access to racing for the silver spoon kids. A more relavent article that I would read with great interest is “how to run s race car on $1.98 a day”. Chumpcar is very impressive.....you see people fabricating solutions with McGyver skills.
But Chumpcar racers don't have the expectations of being hired and paid by Porsche, Audi, or Toyota to run LMP, to be in F1, Indycar, NASCAR, or even Monster Trucks.

Do you have a link to an article on the control of karting?
Old 03-15-2019, 06:37 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 03-15-2019, 10:43 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

doesn't sound very different from admissions into the top ivy league schools...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...airness-button
Old 03-16-2019, 08:29 AM

Right now the 12 Hours of Sebring is on CNBC. How many of the drivers are paid to drive in that race vs how many are paying? Of those paid, how many are getting a token stipend vs driving has part of full-time employment? How many with full-time employment are making more than the minimum for the MLB, NFL, or NBA. The same question could be asked about F1 and IndyCar. In NASCAR the top 25 are paid real compensation...but the bottom 10?

One look at the stands during a race and the TV ratings shows auto racing is becoming a sport of the past.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

"Inside" Tip #1. Be good. Be very good. Be so good you wonder why everyone else is so slow.

"Inside" Tip #2. Have a rich and influential father who can get you "sponsors".
Old 03-18-2019, 09:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Luggnutt.com = The Onion of the motorsports world.

https://theluggnutt.com/2019/03/15/m...-in-melbourne/

https://theluggnutt.com/2019/03/13/p...ring-wec-race/

https://theluggnutt.com/2019/03/07/b...image-caption/
Old 03-18-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Right now the 12 Hours of Sebring is on CNBC. How many of the drivers are paid to drive in that race vs how many are paying? Of those paid, how many are getting a token stipend vs driving has part of full-time employment? How many with full-time employment are making more than the minimum for the MLB, NFL, or NBA. The same question could be asked about F1 and IndyCar. In NASCAR the top 25 are paid real compensation...but the bottom 10?

One look at the stands during a race and the TV ratings shows auto racing is becoming a sport of the past.
This is only true in the US. I work for GM and even in the company there are very few people that care about the race programs. But, as I've seen in the stands in other countries and my experience doing a lot of Sim Racing, it is very much alive in Europe and South America. Hilariously sometimes I'm the only American in a race.

Quick Reply: 6 Inside Tips on How to Become a Pro Driver