S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Accidents at Race Tracks

Old 12-20-2000, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not sure which forum is the best for this question, so feel free to move this.

I was wondering, if you on a track on an open track or school day, and some other car loses control and hits you, or does anything else to cause damage to your car, and it was clearly their fault, would their insurance be liable?

[This message has been edited by krazik-s2k (edited December 23, 2000).]
Old 12-20-2000, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

carriers have different policys regarding this... most likely you would have to split the bill 50/50 at best... other carriers might not even insure you for racetrack accidents. it all depends on what type of policy you have.
Old 12-20-2000, 11:26 AM

If such an event happens, you need to have the car towed away from the track and to a repair place. Report that you had an accident, only involving yourself and perhaps a ditch or guardrail, etc. If another car was involved, then you are screwed in most cases. If the insurance agent MUST see the actual scene of the accident, then you are screwed too.
Old 12-20-2000, 11:49 AM

Definitely depends on the company... Usually the less information you give them the better. Saying something like 'We were coming into turn 5 and he locked 'em up and slid into me.' wouldn't be good. A couple local people here have had accidents covered from autocrosses (total losses) but it was one driver situations. When the insurance people asked what happened, the guy just said 'I lost control in the parking lot and spun into a light pole.' And then he clammed up. They asked if he wanted to add anything, and he said no... they covered it. But I would think it would be very hard to come up with a 'story' when there are two drivers involved and it's a closed circuit. Not saying it's impossible, but it's going to be pretty tough. Hopefully it's a rhetorical question, and not because of a specific incident!
Old 12-20-2000, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This would not be during a "Timed Race Event" and I know my insurance along with many others only refuse to cover if you were actually racing. "driving classes" are covered.

But my question was if it was the other persons fault. Could one demand there insurance pay for it?

No this hasn't happend to me.. but the question crossed my mind last time at the track when I saw my friend almost get creamed by another car.
Old 12-20-2000, 02:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think you could. But the problem may be in determining fault. I mean, if you're both out there pushing the limits of your car which is what you're there for I think the case can be made that just by being there you're partially at fault. You bring up a good point though. I just hope I never have to find out.
Old 12-20-2000, 05:24 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Although i would proudly try it, it is called insurance fraud when you tow your car to a road and claim it there.

A local state Representative (Thomas Druce) recently learned this lesson. He killed a pedestrian in downtown harrisburg, then claimed to his insurance it was a sign on the turnpike... DUH!

Scot
Old 12-21-2000, 04:45 AM

From what I know from racing on the track so far, once you put your car on a race track, unless you have written agreement on the policy that the insurance is going to covered the lost at the track, nobody will cover the lost from racing,driving school or autocross.
There is also a unwritten rule that once you are racing your car on the track,no matter what kind of accident happened, the only compensation you will get is an apology from the other guy who crash your car or any punishment the sancation body put on to the other driver. You cannot ask for money compensation.
As all the racecar drivers knows accidents do and will happen when everybody on the track push their car to the limit.
If that is not the case then nobody can race without the fear that he may cause a 10 cars pile up at turn one and those racecar may cost $100000 each and he is going to pay for it.
Old 12-21-2000, 07:19 AM

For those of you considering towing your car off track and claiming insurance, consider also the serious jail time and fines you face if you are caught. Fraud is a felony which carries all kinds of neat connotations with it that follow you for the rest of your life. Imagine if you will, explaining the felony conviction at your next job interview or when you try to get a loan for a new car. It's not worth it, and it is unfair to pass along the rate hikes to those who do not intentionally put thier cars in harms way.
Old 12-21-2000, 08:19 AM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest you find a company that will offer you a rider for the track. I seriously doubt your insurance, or theirs, would cover it. Read your policy and call your agent, anonymously of course, and ask if their auto policy covers non-competition track events. There is a difference between a few hot laps and a race, or should be. Taking your car to the track is putting your car and yourself at considerable risk. That is a risk your insurers may not be willing to cover with your standard <12 mile commute pleasure only policy. As for lieing about it, I wouldn't. They are not so stupid as to not find out easily and then you are in big trouble. Remember there is a paper trail a mile long, the towing, the registration at the event and so on.

Quick Reply: Accidents at Race Tracks