S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Any feedback yet on the new KW Clubsport?

Old 08-06-2008, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by carrera4,Aug 6 2008, 05:23 PM
I've been feeling like my dampers over over-valved for the 10 KG/MM springs I have on there. As you could see I was all the way out on the front adjustment as SOW. I know this may decrease the life of the damper and also doesn't allow me much room to make adjustments. I have some 14 KG/MM springs sitting around I could put on there, which are right in the middle of the range the dampers were valved for. Do you think these would be too firm for SOW or the other local tracks? Due to the little tire incident we had, I am putting R-Comps on immediately. I can also order new springs, for instance 12 KG/MM which I think would be good for the dampers as well.
I think your wheel rates are already pretty stiff for SoW. Going full soft on the front did make the front a tad under-damped, but your car was pretty pushy and that was the only crutch we could come up with at the time; and it helped a bit. So yea, I would keep the spring rates you have, at least for now.

I think you will want to go up on the dampers with the R-comps. The forces and resulting roll & dive rates they generate are higher, and you'll want to up the dampers to control that. I don't know how much, just have to test!

Also, since you're spending the money on R-compounds, you might want to think about increasing front camber to wear more evenly on the tires.

Good luck man, hope that helps. Feel free to keep asking questions! (email, PM, etc). Stuntman is pretty experienced with S2000's as well, and I'm sure he'd be happy to offer an opinion too.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Billj747,Aug 6 2008, 05:38 PM
IMO I wouldn't replace the factory SRC springs with a higher spring rate. At full stiff the car can be over damped but at full soft it will be underdamped and riding on the spring. From my experience, SRCs lose valving/damping throughout a session as the dampers get hotter, but this is very minute that most drivers won't be able to feel.

Both S2KRetard and myself have noticed this 'loss in valving' over a course of a session in the SRCs in more than one car.

I think the stock springrates on the SRCs are already in the ballpark for the car.
Don't think Carrera4 has SRC's...

Carrera, what dampers did you say you have? And was it a 'coilover kit', or did you chose custom spring rates when you bought them?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kretard,Aug 6 2008, 07:03 PM
I think your wheel rates are already pretty stiff for SoW. Going full soft on the front did make the front a tad under-damped, but your car was pretty pushy and that was the only crutch we could come up with at the time; and it helped a bit. So yea, I would keep the spring rates you have, at least for now.

I think you will want to go up on the dampers with the R-comps. The forces and resulting roll & dive rates they generate are higher, and you'll want to up the dampers to control that. I don't know how much, just have to test!

Also, since you're spending the money on R-compounds, you might want to think about increasing front camber to wear more evenly on the tires.

Good luck man, hope that helps. Feel free to keep asking questions! (email, PM, etc). Stuntman is pretty experienced with S2000's as well, and I'm sure he'd be happy to offer an opinion too.
There's no doubt I will be getting the car re-aligned. 1/2 degree more in the front and maybe 1/4 degree in the rear.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kretard,Aug 6 2008, 07:04 PM
Don't think Carrera4 has SRC's...

Carrera, what dampers did you say you have? And was it a 'coilover kit', or did you chose custom spring rates when you bought them?
They are a prototype Racing Gear damper with Bestex springs. All aluminum and one-way adjustable. They are valved for a very wide range of springs 10 to 16 KG/MM, which means you can't do a lot of fine tuning, pretty much 3 steps (clicks) you can pick for each spring rate.
Old 08-17-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Suspension,Aug 6 2008, 06:14 PM
Thanks Billy for the reply. Everything's a compromise. When I said the SRCs could handle r-compounds I meant that I did not have to add a front sway bar as well to keep from getting wheelspin due to rear in-lifting during corner exit.

The stock suspension needs a front sway bar to handle r-compounds and so do the V3s. Perhaps that is a better compromise than the oversprung and overdamped SRCs. I have suspension design and tuning experience but I really can't feel the difference in damping adjustments with my SRCs...it may be the high spring rates I am not used to and the difference in damping is very minute at the relatively high natural frequencies of the system. All I know is that it's rough over uneven roads and even more uncomfortable now that I have installed a racing seat.

I know that softer springs most often means more grip. I often have trouble at this particular autox site because the surface is so rough, I am hopping and skipping over parts and have no grip.

Luckily it is not my daily car, I use it for Autox and trackdays and driving around town 2 to 3 days a week. I may look in to trying a different setup in the future if I can't get the SRCs to work as well as I want. It's the only suspension I have tried so I don't even know what everything else feels like.
One thing I can say for sure about the V3 competition...there is ABSOLUTELY NO hopping or jumping or whatsoever.
We have some pretty bad b roards aroung here and the suspension jsut swallows the holes of bumps.

Even now that I have the fronts on fully HARD because I'm running 18 inch with 45 offset so that the bumps dont destroy my fenders.

The ride is still very "comfortable" for racing specs.

still body roll is very limited altough I woul duse harders springs for track-only use.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 PM

My thoughts from the testing I did between the CS and HKS

Maxrev Suspension Shootout
Old 08-19-2008, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by maxrev,Aug 19 2008, 09:10 PM

Nice one!

And my respect for taking the tiem changing a suspension at the track with no real need too

I would be much too lazy to do so!
Old 08-19-2008, 06:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxrev,Aug 19 2008, 01:10 PM

Nice one +1, I was just about to point the guy to this review.

IMO, this review is much better than the opinions offered earlier in this post (not going to point fingers) b/c it describes the differences better, and how one is better than another for street applications, while the other is more tuned for racing applications. Better than just saying "KW has a better philosophy than X brand..."

I haven't run the HKS coilovers yet, but based on experience with their similarly-built dampers on other vehicles I would expect them to be exactly like they were described in the review ... also, I think that the v3s do have too much body roll, making them relatively inefficient at quick lateral manuvers compared to higher-end stuff (JRZ, Moton, etc.), so I'm glad that HKS has come out with an affordable alternative.

BTW maxrev, how is that J's exhaust working out for you, do you still have it?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

should i get the optional top mount with the kit?just placed an order anf i have less than 24 hrs to confirm with the merchant!!!

This car is a DD with track workout once a month.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by zbrewha863,Aug 19 2008, 06:15 PM
IMO, this review is much better than the opinions offered earlier in this post (not going to point fingers) b/c it describes the differences better, and how one is better than another for street applications, while the other is more tuned for racing applications. Better than just saying "KW has a better philosophy than X brand..."
+1 and many more +1s from other pp

Quick Reply: Any feedback yet on the new KW Clubsport?