S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Is any one else concerned about the 06 Boxster S?

Old 10-15-2004, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmorrow,Oct 15 2004, 10:41 PM
What I sort of meant was that even if the S version was to be bumped, the regular version may still be capable of being a class winner.
True. My reply assumed that, even if the '06 went to SS, the earlier Boxster S's would stay in AS, but that may not be the case.

Steve
Old 10-16-2004, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmorrow,Oct 15 2004, 09:41 PM
What I sort of meant was that even if the S version was to be bumped, the regular version may still be capable of being a class winner.
The current S is (in my opinion) more of a threat than the new base model.

And the new S needs to go to SS. I think it upsets this nice little apple cart that the SEB has stacked into AS. To class the '06 S in AS flies in the face of the basis for the recent reclassing. The S2000 simply won't be competitive with the new S and S2000 drivers won't be filling out the national level grids. The premise behind the move was that the best of AS and BS would both run in the new AS, AS participation would be increased and new cars could be developed in BS.

To class the '06 S model in AS would create a spec class where the car to have is brand new and can't be had for less than $60k. Spec Z06 would look more attractive.

Andy H.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:48 PM

Sorry, this is kind of a different thread altogether I think but since all the appropriate parties are in this one I'll ask it here.

What do you guys think about doing something with Solo2 stock class similar to what is done in showroom stock? Meaning eliminate everything but race tires and make it so that cars only 10-12 years (whatever the number is) or newer can compete? I think 10 years is when factory replacement parts typically become more difficult to find. I mean almost every stock class is run by a car that fits this description. Plus it would allow the SEB not to have to pander and listen to whining when a newer faster car came into the class. It would also allow the cars in a particular class to have to be moved around less and each class would essentially purge itself of slower cars - every class naturally becomes faster by that method rather than having to reshuffle everything around every 3 years or so.

The longer the cars are in stock class the less there is a chance they remain stock from bushing replacement and other wear items. Just my personal opinion, but I think it's kind of silly that stock class is usually dominated by the guy who dropped $4k on a race damper setup + Ti exhaust etc. Obviously each car has it's own tricks and the mods aren't "required" but a performance advantage is just that.

After the 10 years is up, the cars can still go to SP or ST or whatever...

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere. Any comment?
Old 10-17-2004, 04:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One argument I've read against a purely stock class is that otherwise competitive cars will not be competitive on OEM shocks. Cars, like the S2000, that come with very effective stock shocks will shine, while others will not. Also, when it comes time for shock replacement, OEM parts can be pretty pricey. Certainly not as much as $2-4k aftermarket shocks, but more than replacement quality Konis or Bilsteins.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:50 PM

Most stock classes are practically a one make anyway...

SS- Z06 (can anyone really afford a GT3 for autocross?)
AS- C4
BS- S2k
CS- Miata/MR2?
DS- 330i with the occasional ITR
ES- MR2
FS-
GS- Mini
HS- does anyone actually run those cars?

It's not just the suspension either. It's the exhaust, wheels, and all that business. I mean most stock cars have some handling vice that isn't usually fixable under stock class rules so really what's the point? The problems usually are in camber limitations, spring rate or lack of LSD or in the S2k perspective LSD performance.

Lots of cars are classed in SSC or SSB for that matter. Even though the comp board tries to make everything equal by adding weight or trunk kits etc. How many different cars do you actually see out on track? Civic Si, Neon, and now a couple Mazda 3's at the runoffs. So saying some mods are allowable (even less equalizing than the ones allowed in Club Racing) doesn't really mean there will be more competitive models in a particular class. Therefore, I don't really buy the argument about how one car will really outperform all the others with stock dampers since all the classes are basically that now!

Anyway, back to the normally scheduled program.

Someone said to me the other day talking about cars for next year "how about a '05 Boxster S." My response was, "why when I can buy a Z06 for half the money and have "THE" car in SS." The only advantage I see in the Boxster is that IF it becomes the car to have in AS, there'll only be a couple other ones around.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ellisnc,Oct 17 2004, 01:50 PM
SS- Z06 (can anyone really afford a GT3 for autocross?)
AS- C4/S2000
BS- RX-8/968/350Z ??????
CS- Miata/MR2?
DS- 330i/ITR
ES- MR2/Miata
FS-
GS- Mini
HS- does anyone actually run those cars?
Modified the list to reflect the recent reclassing.
Old 10-18-2004, 03:18 AM

Anyway, my point is that having modified suspension allowed doesn't really mean there are instantly 5 different cars in each class that are competitive. At least on the national level.

I understand that stock dampers can be expensive to replace. But national level cars use suspension much more expensive than that.

On a related topic, I drove a 04 S2k at an autocross yesterday. Personally, I don't see how the car wouldn't be faster than the earlier models given some development work. I wonder if AS will turn into club S2k just like BS in a couple years?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:59 AM

The 04 has a big disadvantage on some courses when a shift into 3rd is required and the 00-03 cars are still in 2nd.

Ken
Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 AM
jzr

Originally Posted by ellisnc,Oct 17 2004, 01:50 PM
Most stock classes are practically a one make anyway...

FS-
Mustang Mach 1, Camaro Z28.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenlola,Oct 18 2004, 08:59 AM
The 04 has a big disadvantage on some courses when a shift into 3rd is required and the 00-03 cars are still in 2nd.
I think that disadvantage has been overstated -- the first ten yards of a straight (where the '04 will generally have an acceleration advantage) are a lot more important than the last ten yards of a straight.

We'll see next year.

Steve

Quick Reply: Is any one else concerned about the 06 Boxster S?