S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anybody make a proper baffled oil pan? IN PRODUCTION!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by afzan
maybe someone can send them a broken block for them to use for prototyping?
That's the ideal thing, but nobody wants to spend the time and money to do it.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Canton is in North Branford, Connecticut, you might post this over in the proper place in the North America East part of s2ki ?
Somebody out there might be able to help out with a engine.

ROD
Old 04-23-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidc1
Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1366753248' post='22494017
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1366752933' post='22494008']
[quote name='Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1366751023' post='22493932']
I'm personally a little scared of having a baffled pan with moving parts after the TC Design fiasco many years ago, but I guess if any company can do it correctly, it would be Canton.
Hey...I was wondering when someone was gonna bring that up, 'cause I couldn't remember the name of the company.

That was unfortunate for TC Design, but remember, the problem was simply a piece of metal got loose from a broken weld. It had nothing to do with the trap doors per se. There have been many thousands of trap door pans sold for hundreds of engines by dozens of manufactures without any problems. So, it really shouldn't scare anyone from this kind of pan.
As I recall, that piece of metal that broke was the trap door.
[/quote]

No, it was a baffle that broke from fatigue. This is confirmed from TC Designs and the owner of one of the two cars in these two threads.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/527...s-please-read/
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/536...om-tc-designs/
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/796...-oil-pan-sold/
[/quote]
I seriously recalling seeing a picture of the hinge blocking the oil pickup screen, but I could have been wrong.

If the pricing does come out to around $400, I'd seriously considering getting one. I've lost or damaged a few motors now due to oil issues. Some my fault, some not.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Not to step on it either, but....

Same thing. All it is is an anti slosh plate. This type of plate is better than nothing, but does really nothing to keep the oil around the pickup in high g long turns.

BTW, I don't know of any professional race S2000's. Can you tell me who you are referring to? Of course there are lots of amateur racers out there, but the S2k never really caught on with pro racing.
Maybe not in the United States or Europe, people have been racing S2000s in Super Taikyu in Japan for years and years. If more than a baffle was necessary, there would probably already be one available. I suppose it really comes down to what tires you are using.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Canton also makes the ACCUSUMP, one of the best products on the market for this. I'd personally do an anti-slosh plus an ACCUSUMP.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1366753656' post='22494035
[quote name='Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1366753248' post='22494017']
[quote name='davidc1' timestamp='1366752933' post='22494008']
[quote name='Voodoo_S2K' timestamp='1366751023' post='22493932']
I'm personally a little scared of having a baffled pan with moving parts after the TC Design fiasco many years ago, but I guess if any company can do it correctly, it would be Canton.
Hey...I was wondering when someone was gonna bring that up, 'cause I couldn't remember the name of the company.

That was unfortunate for TC Design, but remember, the problem was simply a piece of metal got loose from a broken weld. It had nothing to do with the trap doors per se. There have been many thousands of trap door pans sold for hundreds of engines by dozens of manufactures without any problems. So, it really shouldn't scare anyone from this kind of pan.
As I recall, that piece of metal that broke was the trap door.
[/quote]

No, it was a baffle that broke from fatigue. This is confirmed from TC Designs and the owner of one of the two cars in these two threads.

https://www.s2ki.com/...rs-please-read/
https://www.s2ki.com/...rom-tc-designs/
https://www.s2ki.com/...n-oil-pan-sold/
[/quote]
I seriously recalling seeing a picture of the hinge blocking the oil pickup screen, but I could have been wrong.

If the pricing does come out to around $400, I'd seriously considering getting one. I've lost or damaged a few motors now due to oil issues. Some my fault, some not.
[/quote]

Same here Voodoo, I've lost 2 engines to oiling issues. And, I suspect many other engine failures S2ki track car owners have experienced are due to oil starvation as well. But nobody really knows because we don't have oil pressure gauges which is the only way we'd know for sure.

In the threads, TC Designs states it was a piece of the baffle, specifically not the trap door, that blocked the pickup and led to oil starvation.

All their other pans cost around $400 or less, so this would probably be the same.

They have told me that all they need is some people to email them showing interest, and that will be all the boss needs to build a prototype, which hopefully will be my pan from my totalled car. Then I'll report my experiences, and then hopefully that will lead to a production pan.

They just made a pan for the K-series motor using the S2000 pump. Lots of interest in that they found.

Please just cut and past the following to their marketing email address:

(email address removed to help comply with non-vendor solicitation and advertising rules)

Dear Sirs:

I am a Honda S2000 owner who has an interest in a well designed baffled oil pan. Unfortunately most of the others on the market for my car only have anti slosh plates and not proper oil control design. It would be great if your company could build and sell a properly designed pan for my car. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by CKit
Canton also makes the ACCUSUMP, one of the best products on the market for this. I'd personally do an anti-slosh plus an ACCUSUMP.
Yes, I just bought an Accusump and installed it about a month before my car was totalled.

Canton told me the first choice for making sure their are no oil starvation issues is a properly designed oil pan (meaning more than just an anti slosh plate), then, add an Accusump. But, nobody makes a pan for the S2000 that has more than an anti slosh plate. An anti-slosh plate is better than nothing, but not by much according to Canton.

Think about it, if you are in a high g, long turn, the oil will build up against the edge of the pan and move away from the pickup. An anti-slosh plate will do nothing to prevent this. An anti-slosh plate will help with splashing/sloshing caused by rapid right/left turns, but does nothing for long, high g force turns.

An anitslosh plate would be much more effective for autox than for road racing.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
Originally Posted by davidc1' timestamp='1366741421' post='22493434
Not to step on it either, but....

Same thing. All it is is an anti slosh plate. This type of plate is better than nothing, but does really nothing to keep the oil around the pickup in high g long turns.

BTW, I don't know of any professional race S2000's. Can you tell me who you are referring to? Of course there are lots of amateur racers out there, but the S2k never really caught on with pro racing.
Maybe not in the United States or Europe, people have been racing S2000s in Super Taikyu in Japan for years and years. If more than a baffle was necessary, there would probably already be one available. I suppose it really comes down to what tires you are using.
Maybe there are some available in Japan. Or maybe they are using custom pans that include baffles and trap doors.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM

Come on guys...almost 30 posts and nobody is willing to help me out?
Please just cut and past the following to their marketing email address

(email address removed to help comply with non-vendor solicitation and advertising rules)

Dear Sirs:

I am a Honda S2000 owner who has an interest in a well designed baffled oil pan. Unfortunately most of the others on the market for my car only have anti slosh plates and not proper oil control design. It would be great if your company could build and sell a properly designed pan for my car. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Maybe there are some available in Japan. Or maybe they are using custom pans that include baffles and trap doors.
Many are using dry sump setups. Gotta pay to play!

Quick Reply: Anybody make a proper baffled oil pan? IN PRODUCTION!