S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anyone Running Non-Staggered Setup

Old 08-18-2006, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Running Non-Staggered Setup

I am in the market for some track wheels/tires and for simplicity (rotating), I was considering running 17x8 with 245's all around. Is anyone currently doing this or ever tried this? Is keeping the stagger that important? If so, any recommendations? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-18-2006, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running 245's all around on stock AP1 wheels (stock wheels required for my auto-x class). It can be done, but you will definitely need to make suspension changes to balance out the handling of the car; either a really big front anti-roll bar or a significant change in the front/rear spring rate ratio.

If you want to swap wheels front to rear, I'd recommend getting the wheel center bores all made at the front size. Then get some centering rings to keep on the rear hubs so that you can keep the wheel hubcentric. This isn't absolutely necessary, but will save you from tearing up lug nuts and lug seats on the wheels. I run wheel spacers on the front of my car, which effectively makes them no longer hubcentric. My front lug nuts & lug seats on the wheels are pretty galled up from the forces generated when driving down that first lug nut when it pulls up the wheel to center it up.

Steve
Old 08-18-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.maxrev.net/index.php?location=widetires.htm
Old 08-19-2006, 08:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Windscreen,Aug 18 2006, 01:06 PM
I run wheel spacers on the front of my car, which effectively makes them no longer hubcentric.
Why the spacers? So as not to runb on the inside front fenders at full turn? Or, do you run a BBK?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:04 AM

I run spacers to increase the front track ever so slightly for the purpose of reducing the front roll rate. SCCA stock rules allow +/- 0.25" on wheel offset, so I take advantage of it. Does it actually do any thing that is measurably repeatable? Probably not. But, technically, it is directionally correct for helping reduce inside wheel spin.

Steve
Old 08-19-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Windscreen,Aug 19 2006, 10:04 AM
I run spacers to increase the front track ever so slightly for the purpose of reducing the front roll rate. SCCA stock rules allow +/- 0.25" on wheel offset, so I take advantage of it. Does it actually do any thing that is measurably repeatable? Probably not. But, technically, it is directionally correct for helping reduce inside wheel spin.

Steve
But doesn't this also go in the direction of reducing the wheel rate (overall "spring" rate) by changing the motion ratio, which would increase roll? Just another thought.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Windscreen,Aug 18 2006, 01:06 PM
I run wheel spacers on the front of my car, which effectively makes them no longer hubcentric.
Where can you get these spacers? Are they special order or can I get them at any wheel store?

Warren
Old 08-21-2006, 11:52 AM

Steve, are you running 245s on the stock front wheels or are you talking about a track set up?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:34 PM

I've been considering going to 245's all around instead of the originally planned 255's so I don't have to deal with the added possibility of rubbing. Wondering if the added tire height/width of the 255 gives that much more grip over a set of 245's. Price also is a perk of going 245's.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 AM

Warren:
I'm running 5 mm H&R spacers on the front. I bought them from King Motorsports, and they came with longer wheel studs, which you should probably use. Be aware that the longer studs preclude the use of stock lug nuts when not using the spacer, as the stud will bottom in the nut.

Matt:
I'm running 245/45zr16 Hoosier A6's all around on stock wheels. The fronts are quite pinched, but the car has a bit more sweeper grip and I believe I'm getting better front tire wear.

Richard:
Are you sure about reducing the wheel rate? A quick internet search seems to agree with you, but the reasons don't seem very intuitive to my engineering mind. If we assume a simple suspension with no camber gain, then the hub only goes up and down, perpendicular to the ground. Regardless of where the tire touches the ground (relative to the centerline of the car), all the vertical load is still resolved by the wheel flange/hub joint. The force applied, and thus seen by the spring, doesn't change.

Now, with a real suspension with camber gain, I can see there would be a very slight effect, due to the hub rotating about a fore-aft axis as the suspension swings it through its arc. If you move the tire/ground contact point further outboard the torque applied increases and would cause a slight reduction in wheel rate and also ride height.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that at first glance, I don't agree. I'm open to getting educated, though, so show me the light. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Anyone Running Non-Staggered Setup