S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Anyone use Longacre Digital Caster/Camber Gauge

Old 06-01-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone use Longacre Digital Caster/Camber Gauge

Does anyone use digital camber/caster gauges? I am looking to buy the Longacre Digital AccuLevel Caster Camber Gauge Ext. Quick Set Adapter w/Silver case. Link is below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...52SD3NM5BHQH2B

Does anyone have experience using this tool or any other electronic camber/caster gauge not requiring a magnet and self standing on wheel?

I was going to buy this one since it can do 15" to 22" inch rims, but I am afraid that the feet may not attach securely and can be used hands free. They sell another version LAR-78295 which only works to 17" rims but has a more common feet design which attach to outer lip.

The last resort would be the SmartCamber instrument but read it is rather long and can hit fender when doing the 15 degree turns to measure caster. They have longer pins but not sure still.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the larger Longacre. Expecting it tomorrow. I'll provide some feedback once I get the opportunity to give it a test.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:34 AM

I made one with a Craftsman digital level that has a magnetic bottom. Stick it to some angled sheet metal with bolts through it to meet at the rim lip. With in 0.1 of an alignment rack.

I don't have a photo of mine but basically this with a digital level.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/917...-camber-gauge/
Old 06-02-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I use a straight edge and my iphone.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I haven't used that particular one but generally Longacre stuff is among the best. Intercomp is another brand.

Most of the racing ones I'm familiar with mount to the spindle. The reason is that there is a chance (in oval racing a good chance) the wheel isn't dead true. But, traditionally a tree point rim mount is considered sufficient.

Remember for caster you may need turnplates. Also, that the wheels need to be on a surface that allows side movement or the car has to be rolled back and forth to relieve tension caused by an adjustment.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
I haven't used that particular one but generally Longacre stuff is among the best. Intercomp is another brand.

Most of the racing ones I'm familiar with mount to the spindle. The reason is that there is a chance (in oval racing a good chance) the wheel isn't dead true. But, traditionally a tree point rim mount is considered sufficient.

Remember for caster you may need turnplates. Also, that the wheels need to be on a surface that allows side movement or the car has to be rolled back and forth to relieve tension caused by an adjustment.
You need turn plates to be accurate with caster. I read you can use paint string and a paper with angles to mark but not as accurate as using a turn plate with marked angles.

I planned on rolling the car back and forth to settle the suspension and relieve tension. I would like the side moving plates but the costs are quite high from Longacre. I haven't looked into cheaper alternatives.

Also I prefer hand less tool since, if you remount the tool after zeroing you need to be at exact same spot that you zero in order to be accurate which can be challenging I feel.

Originally Posted by TraderGuy
I just ordered the larger Longacre. Expecting it tomorrow. I'll provide some feedback once I get the opportunity to give it a test.
I will wait for your valuable experience. I may order before but depends. Let me know I look forward to hearing, unless anyone else in the forums can chime in. Hard to believe that no one here uses a professional digital gauge from the top brands.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Xene
You need turn plates to be accurate with caster. I read you can use paint string and a paper with angles to mark but not as accurate as using a turn plate with marked angles.

I planned on rolling the car back and forth to settle the suspension and relieve tension. I would like the side moving plates but the costs are quite high from Longacre. I haven't looked into cheaper alternatives.

Also I prefer hand less tool since, if you remount the tool after zeroing you need to be at exact same spot that you zero in order to be accurate which can be challenging I feel.

I will wait for your valuable experience. I may order before but depends. Let me know I look forward to hearing, unless anyone else in the forums can chime in. Hard to believe that no one here uses a professional digital gauge from the top brands.
Rolling the car back and forth works just fine if you dont have slip plates. And if you have bent wheels, replace them. I think the reason no one has the high end camber gauge is because it simply isn't necessary. I've used the longarce camber gauge you have to place on the lip of the wheel many many many times and there is no problem with repeat-ability of measurements camber is really not that sensitive a reading when compared to toe. If you have the funds and want to make your life easier, by all means, but you can get the same result.

I align my car with my phone for camber and toe plates for toe in my driveway and it has always checked out +/- 0.05* in camber and dead nuts for toe at a professional motorsports alignment rack.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xene
Does anyone use digital camber/caster gauges? I am looking to buy the Longacre Digital AccuLevel Caster Camber Gauge Ext. Quick Set Adapter w/Silver case. Link is below:

Does anyone have experience using this tool or any other electronic camber/caster gauge not requiring a magnet and self standing on wheel?

I was going to buy this one since it can do 15" to 22" inch rims, but I am afraid that the feet may not attach securely and can be used hands free. They sell another version LAR-78295 which only works to 17" rims but has a more common feet design which attach to outer lip.

The last resort would be the SmartCamber instrument but read it is rather long and can hit fender when doing the 15 degree turns to measure caster. They have longer pins but not sure still.
I have used this gauge many times. Works great.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn
Originally Posted by Xene' timestamp='1433213749' post='23632866

I have used this gauge many times. Works great.
Sorry but which gauge are you referring to exactly?

Quick Reply: Anyone use Longacre Digital Caster/Camber Gauge