S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Asura Bushing Install - Problem OEM Bushing

Old 05-30-2016, 07:30 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Asura Bushing Install - Problem OEM Bushing

I am hoping that someone has run into this also. I am in the middle of replacing my tired OEM bushing and bearings and I am down to just one bushing that I can't seem to remove. Does anyone have any experience removing the below bushing off the rear lower control arm? It appears that the factory pressed it in from both sides.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It presses out from the inside, and it's a huge PITA.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That is the one with the locking shell halves. You are either going to need to get creative with a chisel/air chisel or use fire to get them to separate and pry them out.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by decepticondc5
That is the one with the locking shell halves. You are either going to need to get creative with a chisel/air chisel or use fire to get them to separate and pry them out.
I pressed it out with a large pipe conduit, a large socket from Northern tools, and a threaded rod.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:11 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by robinson
Originally Posted by decepticondc5
I pressed it out with a large pipe conduit, a large socket from Northern tools, and a threaded rod.
I used something similar. I needed about eight or so different sockets and pipe lengths to do all the bushings. Every one of them pressed out and pressed in, though.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I just did my one side, still need to do the other. I used an anlge grinder to just cut off one side of the shell so that I could press it out.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:35 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

tldr; they dont press out

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...t__p__22625177
Old 05-31-2016, 07:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
I searched for a DIY but could not come up with it, thanks for sharing.

This is exactly what I assumed would need to be done. I actually started to take the saw to the bushing last night but figured I would ask first. I will try Billman's tip first that should make it much easier. If all goes well I will press these out and get the arms to the plater for a Yellow Zinc plating then work on reassembly!

I see now why shops ask so much for this job. I am replacing all the bushings, ball joints, wheel bearings, wheel studs..... If I would have taken it to a shop it would have cost me $3K in labor alone and I know why now. I have spent many hours in front of the press, making runs to the store for different dies and tools. I will certainly be thrilled when it is all done though, I am looking forward to making some races again soon.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just completed this but with the ballade bushings instead. The problem is that it is two half bushings that are pushed in from each side. The way that I removed it was kind of complicated, but worked out very well in the end.

I used a tap to thread one half of the bushing, threaded a bolt in tightly. then stuck a slightly smaller bolt into the hole and used a 10t press to get one half out, then flipped it over and used a socket to press the other half out.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by devinfox
I just completed this but with the ballade bushings instead. The problem is that it is two half bushings that are pushed in from each side. The way that I removed it was kind of complicated, but worked out very well in the end.

I used a tap to thread one half of the bushing, threaded a bolt in tightly. then stuck a slightly smaller bolt into the hole and used a 10t press to get one half out, then flipped it over and used a socket to press the other half out.
This actually seems like a good idea. I just used an air chisel and 5 mins both sides popped out

Quick Reply: Asura Bushing Install - Problem OEM Bushing