S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Autocross Video Critique

Old 12-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also on a side note does anyone have some insight as to whether you can brake faster with or without abs? This was my first autocross without abs and I locked up my brakes for a half second the first two runs until I got a feeling for what my range of braking was. It felt somewhat quick, but I know I need practice with it in order for it to be comparable to braking with abs.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OVER 9000!
I've thought a lot about going to an scca event, but I'm just worried that it won't be fun compared to the PCA and BMWCCA autocrosses or that I won't be competitive. I suppose I can't knock it till I've tried it though. I'll definitely look into when the season starts around here and make it out to one early in the season and test the waters.
Why would you worry about not being competitive? Would you rather have a false sense of achievement or would you rather know where you really stack up and learn how to get faster?

IMHO, it's good to benchmark how far off you are and it'll give you a mental image of what you need to be doing differently.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Also on a side note does anyone have some insight as to whether you can brake faster with or without abs? This was my first autocross without abs and I locked up my brakes for a half second the first two runs until I got a feeling for what my range of braking was. It felt somewhat quick, but I know I need practice with it in order for it to be comparable to braking with abs.
Put the ABS back on.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with the last two posts!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by CKit
Originally Posted by OVER 9000!' timestamp='1387304913' post='22927032
I've thought a lot about going to an scca event, but I'm just worried that it won't be fun compared to the PCA and BMWCCA autocrosses or that I won't be competitive. I suppose I can't knock it till I've tried it though. I'll definitely look into when the season starts around here and make it out to one early in the season and test the waters.
Why would you worry about not being competitive? Would you rather have a false sense of achievement or would you rather know where you really stack up and learn how to get faster?

IMHO, it's good to benchmark how far off you are and it'll give you a mental image of what you need to be doing differently.
It's not so much that I prefer the false sense of achievement, just don't want to embarrass myself. Yeah, I guess I need to stop worrying and see it as an opportunity to grow and improve my driving.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Forcednduckshn
Originally Posted by OVER 9000!' timestamp='1387305312' post='22927043
Put the ABS back on.
Haha it'll take a little while. It's not off by choice. My guess is I strained a sensor when I did my bushing/subframe swap
Old 12-17-2013, 04:44 PM

Since you've replaced the steering wheel...you are at the very least in BSP. Feel free to come out and play at a National Event. We're a bunch of slowpokes in BSP, sans one guy.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit' timestamp='1387322280' post='22927561
[quote name='OVER 9000!' timestamp='1387304913' post='22927032']

It's not so much that I prefer the false sense of achievement, just don't want to embarrass myself. Yeah, I guess I need to stop worrying and see it as an opportunity to grow and improve my driving.
[/quote]

The secret is that if you go in without ego, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. We've all been there. People will try and help you get faster. If you go in with ego, then people are going to try and help you... by making it clear the time gap is there....
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 PM

Some 17x9 and 255/40/17 rivals or z2 is all you need.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz
Since you've replaced the steering wheel...you are at the very least in BSP. Feel free to come out and play at a National Event. We're a bunch of slowpokes in BSP, sans one guy.
I'll definitely be sure to check it out. I'm not exactly sure what class I'm in though. All my mods are listed in my signature. By National Event I'm assuming you're talking about an SCCA autocross?

Quick Reply: Autocross Video Critique