S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

AutoX and use of handbrake

Old 12-31-2011, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoX and use of handbrake

I live in the UK where we have 'Autotesting' which seems to be the closest form of 4 wheeled mosport to your 'AutoCrossing', however Autotests usually involve complex balletic manouvres compared to your autocrossing which seems (and don't take this the wrong way) quite straightforward by comparison with regards car control.

I actually like the look of your autocrossing and feel I could have a fair stab at it, which is what makes it appealing, by comparison autotesting which puts the fear of god in me.

Here's a typical UK autotest
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdHl6b9ayjs

Am I missing something with the videos I've seen of Autocrossing on youtube? Do the manouvres become more complex in higher classes?

Here's the question I really want to ask though.. Do Autocross rules prohibit the use of the handbrake? I've watched a number of videos of participants overshooting turns and understeering and havn't seen anyone yank on the handbrake (parking brake) to help bring the rear around?

Oh and, Happy new year to you all (in a while anyway)
Old 12-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by OldDogmeat
Here's the question I really want to ask though.. Do Autocross rules prohibit the use of the handbrake? I've watched a number of videos of participants overshooting turns and understeering and havn't seen anyone yank on the handbrake (parking brake) to help bring the rear around?

im unable to see your video of autotesting to really compare the two, maybe cuz im on my restricted work computer.

to anwer your question simply, the point of autocross is to be smooth and stick the corners, make the apex's and stay in control while still pushin limits.... "smooth is fast"...not only do you not really have the time to use the ebrake but the time it would take to recover from sliding your rear would cost precious seconds! my .02
Old 12-31-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like I am watching a video game!

But on a serious note, I feel bad for those gearboxes and transmissions.

I have no plans to pull the hand brake on my S2000, but I have tried doing it in "lesser" cars, to no avail. It seems like without a hydraulic e-brake, it would be pretty tough to initiate a relatively low-speed drift using an e-brake. But again, I am not an expert on the subject..

-Connor
Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 AM

Thats the weirdest video I've seen in a while...
Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 AM

ok just looked it up on youtube.... seriously they must go through transmissions like tires! but i kno those lotus 7's are ridiculous and seem to do that very well!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

UK autocross = gymkhana
Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drifting 101. Handbrake up only when the clutch is down
Old 12-31-2011, 03:07 PM

I wonder if Autotest developed in the way that it did based on size constraints in the UK.

Here in the US we have such massive spaces available for courses that we are able to focus on a much more road course-esque style of driving.

It is weird to find another form of performance driving that is slower then autocross. It looks like fun though, anybody want to let me loose in their car for it?
Old 12-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can haz massive autocross corze?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

there is no rules that prohibt the use of,...usually the courses are not tight enough. i have thought about it once but decided just to downshift to 1st and floor it to bring it around,..this was after a 3rd gear straight into a 180degree turn,.....i personally dont see how autotesting will help in developing real world skill, its cool to watch, but thats all. autocross is about avoiding objects at full speed and testing the limit of the car

Quick Reply: AutoX and use of handbrake