S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Axle boot tears

Old 06-29-2014, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axle boot tears

This past week I was at VIR. After my second hot lap doing HPDE both outer axel boots were spewing grease all over the place. I had a smoke screen behind my car and had poor braking which caused the car to be unstable and spin. This is the third time that I have been to the track and torn outer axel boots. I have used several different manufactures for replacement axels. The car is lowered only 1" and I run Nitto NT-01 track tires. I have no issue when driving on the street. I had the axles replaced after my last track event in March and they were fine with street driving. Is there something happening that is causing the boots to tear? Is it heat buildup in the brakes that is causing the grease to boil? That is the only plausible reason I have found. Has anyone else who tracks their car had this problem? Is there a different type of boot or axel I need to use? Is anyone using vented axel boots? I can't be the only person this has happened too.

Any help appreciated!!

This is what I read on the driveshaftshop website:

Road race upgrade(ask if available for your application)

Standard grease liquefies at 300 degrees Fahrenheit, the high temp gease has a much higher break down temp. We have a vented boot that keeps the boot from expanding. The benefits are keeping c.v. temps down, Which pro longs axle life and boot life. In road race settings axle failure 9 times out of 10 caused by high temperatures in the c.v’s.

This is from the sunspeed website

¹ Optional Road Racing Upgrade
If you will be racing your car consider that the CV is bolted directly to the rear rotor. On extreme tracks it can get the internals of the CV to well over 300 Fº The problem, after 300 Fº most grease will vaporize and blow the boot up like a balloon causing it to rub on the suspension ripping the boot and ending the race. We have created a Road Racing upgrade that will eliminate this problem. First we polish and match all the internals so the CV is pre-broken in. We then use a high grade synthetic grease specially formulated for this applicatione.g. NEO. We have developed a higher durometer boot and vented them so if the higher temperature is achieved it will just let the gas out of the boot and not expand it. With all this in place the axles will hold up to the most demanding tracks. Please remember the axles without this package will handle most track days. This extreme Road Rage package is designed for an all out race car that will see continuous extreme track days.

Old 06-29-2014, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had a problem with my OEM or Raxles axles after 30min sessions at Sebring.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:49 PM

I snapped a brand new eBay axle after 10 autox.launches when I got a.real.OEM axle to replace noticed it was much heavier and thicker, possible your car had the eBay ones?
Old 06-29-2014, 05:17 PM

Almost all of the non - honda axles have smaller diameter spindles with bigger spider gear assemblies for durability. The non-honda axles are lighter because of this.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:40 PM

The axels aren't breaking. Only the boots are tearing. The last two sets were from a local reputable rebuilder. He did not charge me for the replacements or the labor but it happened again.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:48 PM

Maybe pull a spring and check the assembly through the range of motion to see if your boot is contacting something.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is you builder using OEM boots?
Old 06-29-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never seen a torn boot yet. Our car doesn't have that much motion for the rear unlike front wheel drive
Old 06-30-2014, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by 99SH
Is you builder using OEM boots?
I don't know what boots he is using. It's odd that it only happens at the track. It was practically immediate despite street driving with no issues for 3 months.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:23 AM

yea I have never seen a torn boot also on a s2k yet weird. how low is ur car

Quick Reply: Axle boot tears