S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Bad UOA, Advice welcome

Old 02-14-2015, 08:49 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ddess
Swapped back in the stock cams.

Journals had more wear than the lobes. Dumping the oil and sending it off. Will do the same after ACS.

I double checked my Kpro settings and the limiter is 8400 not 8500. I thought it relevant since I do ride it at BW at the end of the front straight.
Yeah, I can hear you banging off of the limiter down the front... I was going to mention that. I know Kang did an experiment with the rev limiter set and noted that at 8500 riding the limiter down the front straight caused extra wear after his UOAs (stock cams). 8300 is not a problem though (according to him and his UOAs).

That's unfortunate about the cams. I'm interest to see what the results are after ACS. Are you going to use the same oil or switch?
Old 02-14-2015, 08:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd run the engine for a few minutes, then dump the oil again. Metal particles are really hard to get rid of, and may skew the results of your next UOA.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullwings
I know Kang did an experiment with the rev limiter set and noted that at 8500 riding the limiter down the front straight caused extra wear after his UOAs (stock cams). 8300 is not a problem though (according to him and his UOAs).
Don't think the elevated RPM's would account for the high aluminum though, or for excessive cam wear. The OP's head should be happy to rev well past 9000 all day long.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thepoi
Originally Posted by Sebring AP1' timestamp='1423499484' post='23499323
Chris how high do you rev the car on track?
8500 rev limiter--checked a couple videos and it looks like I usually shift at about 8300. For my fastest ACS laps I leave it in 5th around the oval, looks like about 12secs of 8300.

Caps would be interesting--might just be the cam profile but maybe its something weirder like the cam surface finish?

Originally Posted by ddess
Swapped back in the stock cams.

Journals had more wear than the lobes. Dumping the oil and sending it off. Will do the same after ACS.

I double checked my Kpro settings and the limiter is 8400 not 8500. I thought it relevant since I do ride it at BW at the end of the front straight.
For sustained driving you guys are revving this thing out way too high. I'd change my oil every trackday if this is the case.

I had my car set at 8200 and I STILL shift under 8 just to be safe. Why take the chance? I even run 5w-40 for extra protection. Oil sheers so much faster when revving that high in this car.

Are you guys running oil coolers? (I'm pretty sure Dustin is - which makes your problem all the more confusing to me)
Old 02-15-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
Originally Posted by Bullwings' timestamp='1423979350' post='23506323

I know Kang did an experiment with the rev limiter set and noted that at 8500 riding the limiter down the front straight caused extra wear after his UOAs (stock cams). 8300 is not a problem though (according to him and his UOAs).
Don't think the elevated RPM's would account for the high aluminum though, or for excessive cam wear. The OP's head should be happy to rev well past 9000 all day long.

I absolutely think it would though. Why do you think it can rev past 9000 safely? Any personal experience? Not trying to start an argument, just generally curious.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you guys take samples for analysis, are you assuming the oil is well mixed and homogeneous. I feel sampling of the oil after draining can cause variations in the measurement, depending where and when you take sample in your oil drain drum. If you let oil sit for a minute or two there could be sedimentation of particles, which give you a feeling of less wear. I just feel the measurement could be sampling technique dependent.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:02 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Xene
When you guys take samples for analysis, are you assuming the oil is well mixed and homogeneous. I feel sampling of the oil after draining can cause variations in the measurement, depending where and when you take sample in your oil drain drum. If you let oil sit for a minute or two there could be sedimentation of particles, which give you a feeling of less wear. I just feel the measurement could be sampling technique dependent.
You dont take it from the drum. You warm the engine up to operating temp then shut it off, and drain the oil. While the oil is draining you put the sample container in the stream a few seconds AFTER you open it.

Alternatively you can get a siphon pump and pull the sample up the dipstick tube.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:10 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle
Originally Posted by Xene' timestamp='1424036848' post='23506810
You dont take it from the drum. You warm the engine up to operating temp then shut it off, and drain the oil. While the oil is draining you put the sample container in the stream a few seconds AFTER you open it.

Alternatively you can get a siphon pump and pull the sample up the dipstick tube.
This, I pull the oil while it's draining from the motor.

Also, the OP did indicate that his journals had abnormally excessive wear - so the oil analysis is properly telling him that something is going on with his motor, which also indicates that he probably sampled it with the appropriate technique.

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
Originally Posted by 06Estukay' timestamp='1423979877' post='23506327
[quote name='Bullwings' timestamp='1423979350' post='23506323']

I absolutely think it would though. Why do you think it can rev past 9000 safely? Any personal experience? Not trying to start an argument, just generally curious.
[/quote]

Curious about this as well. if that truly is the case, why did Honda lower the redline on the F22 to 8100rpm from the F20's 9000 redline?

I'm perfectly happy keeping my motor stock and hopefully not grenading things while modding. However, I did the Ti supertech valve train as a protective measure against driver error and giving me a little bit more room due to a mechanical over rev.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:15 PM

Albert - Ap2 engines typically last 10-15 hours of use longer than AP1 engines. That alone should tell you enough. There's a reason you need to beef up the valvetrain on the earlier cars.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
Originally Posted by thepoi' timestamp='1423977422' post='23506308
[quote name='Sebring AP1' timestamp='1423499484' post='23499323']
Chris how high do you rev the car on track?
8500 rev limiter--checked a couple videos and it looks like I usually shift at about 8300. For my fastest ACS laps I leave it in 5th around the oval, looks like about 12secs of 8300.

Caps would be interesting--might just be the cam profile but maybe its something weirder like the cam surface finish?
For sustained driving you guys are revving this thing out way too high. I'd change my oil every trackday if this is the case.

I had my car set at 8200 and I STILL shift under 8 just to be safe. Why take the chance? I even run 5w-40 for extra protection. Oil sheers so much faster when revving that high in this car.

Are you guys running oil coolers? (I'm pretty sure Dustin is - which makes your problem all the more confusing to me)
[/quote]

I was always worried about that too but my oil analysis keeps coming back stellar--maybe the engine is just a unicorn? The oil might be working great as well. I do have a cooler--it's a ducted Setrab. My oil temps are generally a lot better at ACS because of the higher speed, especially around the oval--even in hot weather by the time I enter it, my temps are ~220. A couple of the BW days on that last OCI were 100+ degrees, oil temps got up to 270.

edit://I thought the AP2 rev limit drop was just to deal with the higher piston loading?

Quick Reply: Bad UOA, Advice welcome