S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Ballade Oil Baffle

Old 02-23-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Ballade Oil Baffle

Anyone else run the Ballade baffle for a while? Anyone run it for a while and pull the pan again? I'm wondering if I have the only one that has been very lightly rubbing on the oil pan on 3 sides and dumped aluminum glitter into the oil.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Would you happen to have pics of where the rubbing is happening?
Old 02-23-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Lately I've been thinking I should take mine out cause 1. can't see how it really does anything and 2. Could cause something to go wrong.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interested. i have the blacktrax welded in oil baffle, was thinking of putting my oem pan back on and using the ballade sport or evasive bolt in pan. Hesitating after hearing about this.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:27 PM

There is associated wear on the baffle panel, but this is what the pan looks like. It has been dumping the aluminum into the oil the entire time, yet has not caused a failure. My oil changes all started looking like the last image since I put the baffle in, but I was not 100% sure it was the baffle until I pulled the pan for something unrelated today.

Ballade Oil Baffle-6bjgkiyh.jpg
Ballade Oil Baffle-nb1f28kh.jpg
Ballade Oil Baffle-egiebxlh.jpg
Ballade Oil Baffle-t8pipayh.jpg

Last edited by Chibo; 02-23-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that is really crappy. Was the ballade sport baffle loose or something when you checked it with pan off?
Old 02-23-2019, 06:44 PM

Nope, as tight as when I installed it.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Xene
interested. i have the blacktrax welded in oil baffle, was thinking of putting my oem pan back on and using the ballade sport or evasive bolt in pan. Hesitating after hearing about this.
I've had the Blacktrax pan for something around 6-7 years, no issues whatsoever. Never seen a drop in oil pressure while on track. The only time I could think of maybe needing more protection is stepping up to hoosier tires.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 563 Likes on 394 Posts

I'm also using the Blacktrax pan.

If it's good enough for Hartano with Prima Racing, it's good enough for me. Essentially "race proven" as far as I'm concerned - anecdotal? Probably, yes.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Finding metal particles in the oil shouldn't be normal. I don't know if it is the baffle or something else. I don't see anyone reporting a similar problem. The Ballade has some popularity because it doesn't require welding.

However, there are lots of wet sump baffles that are welded in, the Moroso baffle with 2 trap doors, and the Canton pan with 4 trap doors and ports for an oil temp sensor and turbo drain back. Blacktrax sells its baffle welded into a new pan avoiding any issues with welding on an old aluminum casting that has been sitting in contaminated oil for 15 years and gone through thousands of heat cycles. The Canton is a complete, new sheet metal oil pan. The baffles are less than the cost of a tire; the complete pan the cost of a set of tires.

Metal flakes in the oil are not something you want to be worrying about and a damaged engine is not something you want to be spending your time and money on while missing track days.

This is from another thread:

Originally Posted by anorexicpoodle

I did the next best thing and datalog my oil pressures at 10hz. My car sees 20+ track days a year so plenty of sample material across a range of tracks and environments.

I have run the Canton pan and currently run the moroso baffle.

I liked the canton because of the trap system and extra capacity. it never showed any indication of starvation regardless of corner drection or G-load.

I switched to the weld-in moroso because if also showed the exact same starvation prevention (consistent oil pressure) but indicated 15 degree lower oil temps due to being in an aluminum OEM pan and not a steel pan.

I have not measured any of the non trap doored options but given the costs i wouldnt bother removing the pan, and welding one in that didnt have pickup trap doors.

I have also wired this same data system to another S2K challenge drivers car which is how we did the A/B testing on the Canton/Moroso setup.

HTH

-Ryan

Quick Reply: Ballade Oil Baffle