S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Basic How To Build an S2000 Racecar

Old 03-31-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very informative & detailed; thanks for the great write up! Will definitely use for reference.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
rob, i noticed on your recommended parts list, you put aftermarket wheels in the middle. i was thinking of doing this as my first mod to my AP1 wiht some 17x9 +63 all around with RS-3 or Star Spec tires. what do you think?
There's no problem with going with larger wheels & tires early. I'm running 17x9 +63 255 with Nitto NT01s all around so I like that size and I've heard great things about the Star Specs.

Good write up! I thought that the rear uprights for the cage were not supposed to go further rearward than the rear most suspension point though? Also, for mounting the harness on the outer edge, did you simply use the stock point?
I don't know of any limitation on the rear roll bar attachments, I think the further to the rear they are the safer the cage. The rear supports are welded to the X-Brace frame beams.

I am using the outer stock seat belt mounting hole.
rob, do you think i can run 255 square on stock suspension without rolling the fender?
Old 03-31-2011, 01:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

rob, do you think i can run 255 square on stock suspension without rolling the fender?
It depends on how low you are and your camber setting.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:38 PM

thanks for the info and really enjoy ur website
Old 03-31-2011, 02:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Cracknut, do you have your catch can attached to the pcv valve line or the large line at the front of the valve cover? I have seen both.
Large line at the front. When I get home I'll take a couple pics. I thought about putting it on the PCV also but ran out of initiative.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always, another awesome write up, Rob. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, my memory's worse than I thought. How surprising.

Turns I plumbed into the PCV line:

Originally Posted by cracknut
Originally Posted by robrob' timestamp='1301599750' post='20416833
Cracknut, do you have your catch can attached to the pcv valve line or the large line at the front of the valve cover? I have seen both.
Large line at the front. When I get home I'll take a couple pics. I thought about putting it on the PCV also but ran out of initiative.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the pic and confirmation on the plumbing. I'm pretty sure my tank is just too tiny to actually remove the stream of oil moving at high speed. For me I get the smoke puff after a long right hand sweeper then close the throttle to up-shift (creating lots of vacuum in the intake manifold) and the oil is sucked through the PCV valve line and into the intake manifold.

It will be an easy upgrade to a larger Home Depot air/water separator.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:31 PM

I don't know of any limitation on the rear roll bar attachments, I think the further to the rear they are the safer the cage. The rear supports are welded to the X-Brace frame beams.

I am using the outer stock seat belt mounting hole.

Weird I could have swore I read that somewhere but I just browsed through the NASA and SCCA rule books and didn't see any mention of it. Oh well
Old 04-03-2011, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rob, a tip on your catch tank/pcv issue: vent the catch tank to atmosphere, or said another way, eliminate the return line from the catch tank to the intake manifold. Some could argue that this is not the most ideal solution as we lose some of the desirable functions of that vaccum, but I found that the vaccum created by running that line back to the intake manifold "pulls" an excessive amount of oil through the PCV and into the catch tank. I once had my lines routed exactly as yours are and I was filling up a .5qt catch tank in 5 laps around VIR! I remidied this by placing a breather filter on the return fitting of the catch tank and capping the fitting on the intake manifold. Problem solved! Now, my catch tank will have only about an ounce of oil in it after a full weekend.

Awesome website, BTW!

-Aaron

Quick Reply: Basic How To Build an S2000 Racecar