S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Best roll bar for a tall person

Old 03-09-2018, 06:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

We put a RSG DD in a friends car and hes about 6'3 and its uncomfortable for him. He tolerates it but I can tell its annoying. Id suggest custom. It will cost about the same and youll have something tailored to your needs.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Afterfire
We put a RSG DD in a friends car and hes about 6'3 and its uncomfortable for him. He tolerates it but I can tell its annoying. Id suggest custom. It will cost about the same and youll have something tailored to your needs.
So does he just have issues getting the seat far enough back?
Old 03-09-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

It is such a catch 22 for our cars. I've got a track only car, no hardtop (yet) so run top down and went with the Hard Dog for many reasons, some stated above. I'm 6', short torso, long legs so OK with 2" above helmet.
I would say you can ONLY go with the RSG or HD (or an Elda if you find one, I've been looking for years for my street car). If you do all the seat magic you can and still can't get 2" broomstick with one of these, then the only choice is to take out the top and do a taller custom bar/cage.
I'm not sure if you are normal proportions at 6' 3" you can do anything other than custom and remove the top(s) and just keep it in the garage for track only.
If it is a street car too, that is the real Catch 22, your head WILL be too close to any of these bars to run street without a SA helmet, so consider that too.
I freaking love the S2k so much I own three currently and have had four in the last three years alone but if I were any bigger (6' 200#) I think I'd be looking for something bigger :-)
SL
Old 03-10-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by colnagotifosi
It is such a catch 22 for our cars. I've got a track only car, no hardtop (yet) so run top down and went with the Hard Dog for many reasons, some stated above. I'm 6', short torso, long legs so OK with 2" above helmet.
I would say you can ONLY go with the RSG or HD (or an Elda if you find one, I've been looking for years for my street car). If you do all the seat magic you can and still can't get 2" broomstick with one of these, then the only choice is to take out the top and do a taller custom bar/cage.
I'm not sure if you are normal proportions at 6' 3" you can do anything other than custom and remove the top(s) and just keep it in the garage for track only.
If it is a street car too, that is the real Catch 22, your head WILL be too close to any of these bars to run street without a SA helmet, so consider that too.
I freaking love the S2k so much I own three currently and have had four in the last three years alone but if I were any bigger (6' 200#) I think I'd be looking for something bigger :-)
SL
This was very helpful! I am about 185 pounds and 6'3". Torso isn't long, but at 6'3", isn't short either. I wear a 34-inch inseam and that seems to work. I have seriously enjoyed the car thus far! My seat literally goes all the way back for me to fit well, and once that is done, I have no issues driving the car. I do have a nice helmet that is FIA approved so I am good there. Maybe I will just go with some HPDE stuff for now and not roll bar it. I know a fabricator that can work wonders with exhausts and piping...Perhaps they can help me devise a custom roll bar? I appreciate the feedback from everyone and I will keep y'all informed!
Old 03-10-2018, 09:03 AM

I would go to someone who has done rollbars/cages, building/installing a rollbar is different than an exhaust. Also IDK how much you gain with the soft top still in the car.
Old 03-10-2018, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am almost the exact same dimensions as you, 6’3” 195-200 with a 34 inseam

I always thought the car was a little small for me in stock form and my legs were always too close to the bottom of he steering wheel. Now I have an RSG rollbar, harnesses and a Sparco Sprint seat. Current driving position is fantastic, better leg room. That being said, most of that is the seat mounting, as the roll bar will intrude slightly at the top of the headrest area of the seat. I personally would not do a rollbar with factory seats simply from a comfort standpoint, as it will push you a few clicks more upright.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisvilleNFR
I am almost the exact same dimensions as you, 6’3” 195-200 with a 34 inseam

I always thought the car was a little small for me in stock form and my legs were always too close to the bottom of he steering wheel. Now I have an RSG rollbar, harnesses and a Sparco Sprint seat. Current driving position is fantastic, better leg room. That being said, most of that is the seat mounting, as the roll bar will intrude slightly at the top of the headrest area of the seat. I personally would not do a rollbar with factory seats simply from a comfort standpoint, as it will push you a few clicks more upright.
Do you have any photos of your setup? If so, I would live to see how it is all laid out!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm 6'2" and with a floor mounted Sparco seat I had tons on headroom. I was actually uncomfortably low the first couple of times I drove the car after floor mounting the seat.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rjtrout2000
Do you have any photos of your setup? If so, I would live to see how it is all laid out!
I will take a few tonight, this is the only one I have at the moment during a parade lap when I took the roof off. It’s also a good way to see how a 6-3 guy can pass the broomstick
Old 03-11-2018, 03:32 PM

I assume that is an EVO II that you have in there?

Quick Reply: Best roll bar for a tall person