S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Best supercharger setup for the track.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:08 PM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by E4RTH WORM JIM
...Nurburgring trips.

How I wish I could...
Old 11-02-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Some may find this interesting: https://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...brief-history/

Have centrifugal superchargers been used on any serious road racing/time trial car since the 1960s?
Old 11-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

No love for turbos??
Old 11-05-2018, 01:04 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by riceball777
No love for turbos??
I love turbos but I prefer blowers due to the nature of the beast (obvious VTEC kick and character retention). Still, in our awesome community there are great results from both turbines and blowers
Old 11-05-2018, 06:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

SOS Kit. The main issue is heat soak. I have V mounted my Heat Exchanger and Oil cooler so still get air flow to the Rad (Ian's or now Sake bomb) and have a brake duct from the headlight ducting fresh air to he filter. It will be cool, if you keep it be cool. Proper cooling will make it work great
The following users liked this post:
s2000ellier (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 04:00 PM

PTuning appears to be doing a new batch of their turbo for the S2000. While I don't like their specific choice of turbo (the older Garretts). In many ways it is similar to the SOS turbo. However, I think they have a better manifold design. SOS uses an internal wastegate, Ptuning uses an external. SOS uses a twin-scroll turbo, Ptuning appears to use a V-band mount.

Both tuck the turbo under the manifold directing heat out of the engine bay. With both, battery and fusebox remains in place. Both merge the wastegate into the exhaust.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...order-1188441/

https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...0-2000-05.html

My turbo preference would be for a manifold twin scroll (like SOS), equal length manifold (like PTuning) using a BW EFR turbo with an internal wastegate, internal BOV, and 3-port boost solenoid included on the housing. The EFR, like the GT/GTX turbos in these kits, is a bit dated. But they still have among the fastest spools because of their lightweight turbine impeller and don't require any external wastegate or BOV plumbing. Unlike the Garrett IWG that SOS uses, the EFR exhausts to the same V-band exit as the exhaust. However, no one makes a manifold for that combo let alone a complete kit.

A centrifugal supercharger is not the same as a turbo, although the compressors look similar. In the turbo, the compressor will run at a constant speed for a given pressure ratio, in the centrifugal turbo that varies. The volume in a twin screw (like Sprintex)or updated Roots supercharger (like the newer Eaton TVS) linearly increase volume with speed/ Doesn't the centrifugal vary as the square of speed?

Note that adding a serious power adder increases wear and tear, especially on the brakes that will be used for longer periods and more often reaching higher temps. I'm unclear how it makes a more enjoyable track day compared to a more sophisticated suspension (e.g. Wisefab), fender mods to fit 285/30-18 RE71r tires, 295/30-18, 315/30-18, or 335/30-18 tires, and ITB intake, etc.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:40 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Note that adding a serious power adder increases wear and tear, especially on the brakes that will be used for longer periods and more often reaching higher temps. I'm unclear how it makes a more enjoyable track day compared to a more sophisticated suspension (e.g. Wisefab), fender mods to fit 285/30-18 RE71r tires, 295/30-18, 315/30-18, or 335/30-18 tires, and ITB intake, etc.
It changes where on the track you pass/get passed?
Old 11-06-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by DanielB
It changes where on the track you pass/get passed?
Wouldn't coming out of the turns faster count for more than a few mph at the end of a few straights? Even for passing, does a centrifugal supercharger really do it? A positive displacement supercharger or turbocharger would have a much fatter power curve.

However, there are no positive displacement superchargers for the S2000. They exist for an FWD K-series. Z06 and ZR-1 Corvettes have them. The Dodge Hellcat and Mustang GT-500 also. There are some great kits from Sprintex for the FT86 that incorporate a Laminova tube intercooler.

If you look at the SOS HP graphs of the centrifugal supercharger and their turbo, they tell the story. Both are about 365 hp at 8000rpm. The turbo is about 315hp at 6000rpm, the supercharger about 245hp. Same price.

If SOS is using a T4 flange on their turbo manifold, it could be used with an IWG BW EFR. You would need a new downpipe, but relatively simple with a straight V-band to the turbo and no wastegate downpipe. On the compressor side the BOV is built in. The new G series from Garrett also is supposed to have an IWG with single V-band outlet. But...I don't think they have any T4 or T3 twin scrolls.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beefystud
every dyno i look at for the hks blower seems low....
I haven't dyno'd mine yet but thinking there was some whitchcraft used on the Evasive setup as Ive yet to see 10 psi. 7-8 which translates to about 310whp I think
Will be back modding the car in a few weeks. Have already repositioned the oil reservoir. Will be updating my info soon but if I was to start over I think SoS
Old 11-12-2018, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgoetz

maybe it should. I just threw out the HKS as a new consideration, the CT and Vortech would obviously be used. I do read about cooling issues with the Kraftworks more often, but maybe it is because more guys track that kit than the other.
Why did the HKS not make your short list?

Quick Reply: Best supercharger setup for the track.