S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Best supercharger setup for the track.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:03 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

From a reliability standpoint the rotrex kits are probably the ones most capable of handling the pressure as the traction fluid used can withstand extremely high temps and still operate efficiently. There may be some design flaws however every single off the shelf kit is going to have weak points and whenever contemplating tracking a vehicle you should always be looking to upgrade high stress points and for the kw kits they seem to be located around the mounting points for the brackets. I have the upgraded mounting bracket sitting on my toolbox and have yet to install it due to my original bracket still holding up with no issues and I wouldn’t be surprised if most of the vtec bolts shearing off were due to excessive belt tension. Also as far as the comment reguarding possible movement issues with the kw kit, that seems to occur due to the side to side movement in the engine (twist) most engines have a total of 4 mounts 3 engine 1 trans or 2 & 2 with the increase of engine movement with the additional torque and how close the supercharger belt is to other components adding an etd makes a massive difference and corrects the excessive movement.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

An engine oil fed Novi blower will outlast rotrex blower, they spin at half the rpm for the same pressure produced. Couple that with a better designed kit such as SOS which has no weak points because they know what the hell they are doing and don't beta test their customers like KW and you have a winning street and track reliable system right from the box. You still need to upgrade your oil and cooling system for track duty regardless, but that has nothing to do with the kit but rather the car and the added power/heat.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
An engine oil fed Novi blower will outlast rotrex blower, they spin at half the rpm for the same pressure produced. Couple that with a better designed kit such as SOS which has no weak points because they know what the hell they are doing and don't beta test their customers like KW and you have a winning street and track reliable system right from the box. You still need to upgrade your oil and cooling system for track duty regardless, but that has nothing to do with the kit but rather the car and the added power/heat.
I’d like to see a novi produce 450whp on pump gas at 12.5 -13 psi thanks
Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by outeiroj
I’d like to see a novi produce 450whp on pump gas at 12.5 -13 psi thanks
That would be generous, but who cares if the blower is a ticking timebomb and the kit its attached to cant make it month to month without failures, what good is it? Get a Novi 1200 for a the same power at a bit more pressure and have it last. Our motor isn't the weak link here.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:03 PM

That would be generous, but who cares if the blower is a ticking timebomb and the kit its attached to cant make it month to month without failures, what good is it? Get a Novi 1200 for a the same power at a bit more pressure and have it last. Our motor isn't the weak link here.
i've had mine installed for 2 years and have yet to have a single supercharger related failure. I had a tune issue that was sorted out by Jeff Evans and that was the fault of the previous tuner, which didn't even result in any supercharger issues. You obviously seem hell bent on bashing a product you don't own or haven't used. Like others have posted in this thread there are kw kits out there running competitively without failures. I'm glad you like your Novi, but that doesn't mean the rotrex isn't a capable blower for the track
Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by outeiroj
i've had mine installed for 2 years and have yet to have a single supercharger related failure. I had a tune issue that was sorted out by Jeff Evans and that was the fault of the previous tuner, which didn't even result in any supercharger issues. You obviously seem hell bent on bashing a product you don't own or haven't used. Like others have posted in this thread there are kw kits out there running competitively without failures. I'm glad you like your Novi, but that doesn't mean the rotrex isn't a capable blower for the track
This isnt my feeling or my opinion, its a fact and well documented what the overall success and failure rate of rotrex blowers and KW kits are, separate or combined. The OP question was whats the best supercharger for the track, not what is the cheapest or what makes the most power etc. Its always going to be reliability first and foremost. If you can argue that the rotrex/kw kit is more reliable then anything else on the market then i digress, but I think you will find yourself in the overwhelming minority in that position. I'm here to offer sound feedback based on my direct and indirect experience, not based on what I think or what I feel based on ego or brands.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 05-20-2019 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:03 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You folks do realize that a centrifugal supercharger only produces peak boost at peak rpm, unlike positive displacement (Roots, Lysholm) supercharger (used by all OEMs) or a turbo? For example, Science of Speed shows 370hp@8000 for their turbo and effectively the same 365hp@8200 rpm for their centrifugal supercharger. However, the turbo is producing about 310hp at 6000rpm, the supercharger about 240hp. At 5000rpm the turbo drops to around 250hp, the supercharger to about 175hp. Same company, same dyno. The turbo was at 10.4psi from 3700rpm to redline. They didn't provide a boost graph for the supercharger, by spec'd 9psi in their text. Both 91 octane.
Old 05-22-2019, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This isnt my feeling or my opinion, its a fact and well documented what the overall success and failure rate of rotrex blowers and KW kits are, separate or combined. The OP question was whats the best supercharger for the track, not what is the cheapest or what makes the most power etc. Its always going to be reliability first and foremost. If you can argue that the rotrex/kw kit is more reliable then anything else on the market then i digress, but I think you will find yourself in the overwhelming minority in that position. I'm here to offer sound feedback based on my direct and indirect experience, not based on what I think or what I feel based on ego or brands.

The only issue with the rotrex blowers is that people do not keep up with the traction fluid. That is what does them in. Plenty of honda nad non honda cars run them with great success. Rotrex redesigned the shafts and bearings and got away from the breakage prone shafts that used to plague these chargers back in the day.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:23 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Boostfab is shipping the whipple twin screw kits now...
Old 11-13-2019, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower
Boostfab is shipping the whipple twin screw kits now...
I wouldn't choose a charger that gives so much power in the mid / low end for track use cause then you are almost sure that you will have gearbox / diff issues and maybe excessive bearing wear. It is also a LOT more expensive that the other systems, even after the price reduction. And we have no data on its reliability also.

Quick Reply: Best supercharger setup for the track.