S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Big Topeka Thanks and Congratulations!

Old 09-16-2002, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Topeka Thanks and Congratulations!

First off, I'd like to say that it was very special to spend the week of Sept. 11 with all our autocross friends... it was a healing experience, being at the place we all heard about last year's disaster, and this time having a perfectly normal National championship week. With spectacular weather, great competition and great friends, there's no place I would rather have been.

Now onto the Thanks... I want to thank King Motorsports for all their support of our efforts. Without Scott's expertise, and Bob, Tim and Chad's hard work, this season would not have been nearly as successful. Also, without Nick Wong's unwavering support, and his willingness to loan us parts (thanks for the axle!) we wouldn't have even been able to compete. Thanks again to everyone at King, and to Nick for all your support.

And last but not least, congratulations... to Andy McKee for a weekend of awesome driving. Taking both the ProSolo championship and the Solo2 championship is not an easy task, but Andy did so this year. And in a game of fractions of a second, he took both championships by a total of four tenths of a second combined. Andy is a pleasure to compete with, and a gentleman in every respect. And with imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, I guess I'm pretty proud that Andy chose to closely mirror our car setup with the Gendron bar w/solid center section and Penskes from Guy Ankeny. With basically the same setup, that simply means that Andy drove better, and for that I congratulate him!

For next year, we'll be going to an entirely new setup... Motons dampers and a completely new design for the front swaybar. No matter how well our car is handling, we know there are always tenths of a second to be gained in a better setup, so the testing begins almost immediately for next season. And in that respect, I would like to thank Guy Ankeny for all his support in providing an tuning our shocks. We believe the Motons are more advanced than the Penskes, and that's why we are switching - Guy's support had been fantastic, and I would recommend him to anyone.

So, let the testing begin, and we'll be back next year. Last year I was third, and this year second... that can only mean one thing for next year!
Old 09-16-2002, 01:23 PM

Thanks for the nice words, Jason. Team Threesome (or Foursome, Fivesome,...) was a perfect example of what makes our sport great. Despite mechanical trouble the very first day (broken inner CV), the team pulled together to get the car working again in record time, drove well as a group all week, and seemed to have a great time in the process.

It was fun running with so many S2000's out there, I just wish we could have run that North course with more stick! I think someone counted 16 spins in BS.

-Andy
Old 09-16-2002, 03:44 PM
jzr

Man, that trip was a blast!

Congratulations to Andy and Jason and the +6 crew, as well as everyone else who did so well. It was a real treat to get to see the top teams and the excellence they bring with them to Topeka. A real learning experience. And Jason, I'm very glad you guys were able to get the Mistress repaired in time, without having to borrow anybody's diff!

Driving Joe Goeke's (previously Gary Thomason's) car was a real eye-opening experience about what a swaybar and set of shocks can do. Between all my runs, there were maybe only 2 or 3 corners that I got right, but when I got them right, it was a glimpse of some real genius in the car setup. Unfortunately on every other corner (especially South course) I absolutely sucked wind, but Joe's times are good evidence it wasn't the car's fault.

Between an engineer friend at a local suspension company and an home address down the street from Gary T., I hope to have the car (not to mention that loose nut behind the wheel) much better prepared for next year.

Thanks everyone, for the inspiration to excel!
Old 09-16-2002, 06:17 PM

I'll have to jump in on the "thank you" bandwagon.

First of all Jason, Juliann and Brad for all their help this being my first year in the car. Having a good example to copy makes all the difference in the world. Not to mention Jason answering my endless questions about set-up and how to drive the courses.

Thanks to my co-driver Dan Wurzer for renting the supertruck to pull the stretcher for my cars (and my) first trailering experience. Bob Anderson for renting me his trailer after he was unable to make it to Nationals. Now I am officailly spoiled and want to tow everywhere.

I want to thank everyone in BS for making it a really enjoyable competition. It's hard to be upset after being beaten by the most gracious competitors. After watching the threesome break their car for the second year in a row, the amount of support they got was impressive. Derrick spent at least an hour on his cel phone looking for parts, Jason Keeney knew exactly what was broken and gave us tips on disassembly. Nick Wong for lending parts off the Mugen car AGAIN. My personal Nationals uplifting experience was putting in the new axle and getting the mistress to grid faster than Team Joest could have.

I had a great time this year and cannot wait to do it again!

PS- I went out to the North course afterward and kicked over the cone I hit on my fastest run, and stomped it into the ground.

See you all next year!
Pete Berta
Mines the blue one
Old 09-16-2002, 08:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by SoloVR6

PS- I went out to the North course afterward and kicked over the cone I hit on my fastest run, and stomped it into the ground.

Pete Berta
Mines the blue one
HAHA, Thats great, I wish I had of gotten that on video. After Reviewing all the video their were deffently not enough funny things. And we only caught one spin on film. But it was deffently great to drive aginst such talent. I really can't wait till next year.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:49 AM
Banned

Congrats to all those that participated and those that supported/helped them get where they are.

Old 09-24-2002, 07:42 PM

Topeka ain't that bad after all....Next year, I am hoping to be back on an S and competing on BS. So maybe next year we can have a big pow-wow after the races. Screw this SM2 crap...I got my ass handed to me....big time!

Angel