S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Bilstein

Old 02-15-2010, 07:06 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Bilstein

Are there any Bilstein shocks out there for the S2000 that don't have threaded bodies? I'm trying to find some for use in AS but everything I have seen is PSS9.

I want Bilsteins because I like to tinker, and they will actually tell you how to revalve your shocks on your own.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no regular (Sport or HD) Bilstein fitment for the S2000, unfortunately.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that's actually really cool, I know ohlins also does that but I didn't know bilstein is also like that.
If there are special tools needed are they reasonably priced?
I was thinking of going the PSS9 route and having them revalved but that would be awesome if I could screw them up vs paying someone else to screw them up
I've never done a shock but have taken apart forks before. Does bilstein use I guess what would be considered a conventional style valve body between a shim stack? or is it totally different.
I just spoke to them Friday about their PSS9's and the guy said they revalved them for a national level SCCA auto x'r but he wasn't in a stock class of course.
I might have to start shopping for some used PSS9's
Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<--- Getting my custom Bilsteins back today
Old 02-16-2010, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by angryfist,Feb 16 2010, 05:08 AM
<--- Getting my custom Bilsteins back today
The damping adjustments on the PSS9 struts are worthless. They just make the car ride stiffer without taking into account several other variables. The best way to go is to buy just the PSS kit (no-dampening adjustable) and have the struts re-valved to your specific application. Talk to Shaikh @ http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/

Shaikh is arguably the most knowledgable person on the planet when it comes to shock dynamics. I'll be buying my struts from him when my stock suspension needs to be replaced.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:45 AM

I agree, the PSS9 adjuster isn't the greatest. I dont care about adjustment anyways. Once I have my valving figured out, I never really need to touch it.

I started with a Bilstein PSS, but if you are good with fabrication you could just buy some roundy-round shocks and weld ears on the bottom for under $500. They all have the same internals.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sobe_Death,Feb 15 2010, 08:06 PM
Are there any Bilstein shocks out there for the S2000 that don't have threaded bodies? I'm trying to find some for use in AS but everything I have seen is PSS9.

I want Bilsteins because I like to tinker, and they will actually tell you how to revalve your shocks on your own.
Threaded bodies are legal in Stock class the spring seat just has to be in the same location and the same shape.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by shoes59,Feb 16 2010, 08:24 AM
The damping adjustments on the PSS9 struts are worthless. They just make the car ride stiffer without taking into account several other variables. The best way to go is to buy just the PSS kit (no-dampening adjustable) and have the struts re-valved to your specific application. Talk to Shaikh @ http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/

Shaikh is arguably the most knowledgable person on the planet when it comes to shock dynamics. I'll be buying my struts from him when my stock suspension needs to be replaced.
I'll argue against that.

So will about 300 other people.

And yes the PSS series are stock class legal. You just have to get the perch in the stock location and silicone it in place to show that you can't move it.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The damping adjustment or Shaikh?
Old 02-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by macr88,Feb 16 2010, 11:58 AM
The damping adjustment or Shaikh?
Shaikh.

The damping adjustment is valid though too, its just not that great. You basically have ON or OFF. The bleed windows aren't indexed very well inside the shaft and depending on which end you start at for adjustment, you might get a different window when you turn the adjuster.

The best way to treat a PSS9 is one "race" setting and one "street" setting. Full hard and full soft.

Quick Reply: Bilstein