S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake Master Cylinder Braces

Old 09-18-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nope. Brake fluid itself will not cause any difference in feel.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Look at the before the brace results then look at the after brace results. You will notice the difference. The margin is significant..
Did you even bother reading the post by ckowalc? You're telling me you can feel a deflection of 0.021" with your foot?! LOL
Old 09-18-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

But this is a good thread to ask this question since people in here are looking for better brake feel.

With all the vacuum evacuated by pumping the brake pedal multiple times, how far can you push the pedal with 5-10lbs of force by your arm?
Old 09-18-2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ckowalc
I hope LHT Performance knows that the indicator in that video is moving 0.021 inches or 0.53mm NOT 0.21 inches or "6mm" as stated in the video. I also don't believe there is absolutely no deflection after brace is installed. It would be useful to see an unbias third party test.

I used to sell master cylinder braces for Imprezas (GC) and my tests showed it decreased deflection from 0.041" to 0.021". Granted mine seemingly didn't have as solid of a connection point. There was a very slight feeling of improvement under medium to hard braking but I believe a lot of it has to do with the owner trying to justify the purchase in his mind, IMHO.

I think pad choice can have a lot more improvement to brake feel than a master cylinder brace.

Originally Posted by bdo' timestamp='1442421792' post='23748724
Originally Posted by ckowalc
I hope LHT Performance knows that the indicator in that video is moving 0.021 inches or 0.53mm NOT 0.21 inches or "6mm" as stated in the video. I also don't believe there is absolutely no deflection after brace is installed. It would be useful to see an unbias third party test.

I used to sell master cylinder braces for Imprezas (GC) and my tests showed it decreased deflection from 0.041" to 0.021". Granted mine seemingly didn't have as solid of a connection point. There was a very slight feeling of improvement under medium to hard braking but I believe a lot of it has to do with the owner trying to justify the purchase in his mind, IMHO.

I think pad choice can have a lot more improvement to brake feel than a master cylinder brace.
It looks like they are using a dial indicator that reads in hundredths, not thousandths. The indicator face says 0-.25" and the scale is 0-25. Also explains why their "after" video shows "zero" deflection. But it does look like it's improving from .21" to maybe <.01". An independent test would definitely be nice to see though! Also agree pad choice makes a huge difference. I used to swap carbotechs in and then bleed the brakes until I was blue in the face because the pedal was so much softer than OEM pads that I thought something must be wrong.
The gauge does look a little weird. It seems to say it has increments of 0.0005" and a range of 0-0.25". And the dial goes from 0-0.25 (at the 6:00 position), and then decreases back to zero again. So, it is a little weird. But, based on that, it seems to me it's moving about 0.21", or about a quarter of an inch, which is about 6mm.

However, if it does have increments of 0.0005", there are 50 increments to the 6:00 position, which would be 0.025", not 0.25", so I'm thoroughly confused.

Doesn't it seem like that to you guys?
Old 09-18-2015, 03:16 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's what I thought, but then the reply by ckowalc with the link seems to make sense.
One of us needs to go check this on our car... Have someone step on the brake hard and if the MC is moving 6mm it will be obvious to the naked eye...
Old 09-18-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by bdo
That's what I thought, but then the reply by ckowalc with the link seems to make sense.
One of us needs to go check this on our car... Have someone step on the brake hard and if the MC is moving 6mm it will be obvious to the naked eye...
I've slightly modified my post you quoted, so take another look at it. I've also emailed and PM'd LHT so ask them to comment. But, you are right, if it's moving 6mm, you should easily be able to see it. But, why say it's moving 6mm when you are using a gauge in inches....did they also use another gauge?
Old 09-19-2015, 05:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shind3
Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1442502639' post='23749766
Look at the before the brace results then look at the after brace results. You will notice the difference. The margin is significant..
Did you even bother reading the post by ckowalc? You're telling me you can feel a deflection of 0.021" with your foot?! LOL
I did read that response. I also have the brace. So from 1st hand knowledge, not theory or unicorn juice, I can say there is a reduction in the brake master flexing with this brace. YOU'RE telling me my real-life experience is wrong? Who made you king-dick? LOL. I am answering the OP's questions of 'who has one' and 'how does it feel' DAFAQ are you doing???
Old 09-22-2015, 03:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK,

The video we showed was very little pedal pressure to move that much. It was a scientific demonstration, but just to show slight pressure on the pedal how much it moves. The set up was very crude as a demo, The gauge was set up just to show the amount of deflection. On some cars we have seen 6-8mm movement. Just while bleeding brakes we've noticed a lot. Have someone hit the brakes while you look under the hood. Usually the first hard step on the pedal the firewall moves more, then seams to flex less. I think the firewall flexs more on older/more mileage cars)

I apologize if it's misleading, It was not designed to be more than ' Look it the firewall flex' I'm sure our brace will be ripped off in China and sold for pennies on Ebay before too long ;(
Old 09-22-2015, 06:00 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Any idea who sells this?

I've tried email and PM with no response. I need the version to fit under my strut brace.

-- Chuck
Old 09-22-2015, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We build and sell them. We just got back from NOPI and we did the whole Dragon trip too.

We have them in stock ready to go. Send $109 shipp to LHTSales@aol.com and they will ship UPS

Quick Reply: Brake Master Cylinder Braces