S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Bridgestone RE71R - Anyone tried them?

Old 01-14-2016, 02:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
Has anyone tried the Pirelli Trofeo R (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+Zero+Trofeo+R)? I wonder how these stack up...

So the part two of the test found the nt-01 and re-71r neck and neck basically on a cooler day at Laguna Seca!
I've also been interested in the Trofeo, since they now offer them in the common S2000 sizes. They wouldn't be in the same treadwear classing as the RE-71R, but they're cheaper than most of the almost-R-comps (such as Pilot Sport Cups), and apparently do wonders on the Camaro Z28 and McLaren P1. They seem like potentially a nice HPDE tire option for people who aren't quite ready to trailer or drive Hoosiers to the track but would like to step a touch beyond the Extreme performance catagory. They're a pound lighter per tire than the RE-71R (though with less tread depth).

Guess I better look into a baffled oil pan!
Old 01-15-2016, 01:57 PM

Received 568 Likes on 398 Posts

Hartano's part II follow up

RE-71R vs. NT-01 at Laguna Seca.

http://www.prima-racing.com/bridgest...king-part-two/
Old 01-24-2016, 08:47 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

A little update on these tires.

I am on day 3 ish on these tires.

First day was Buttonwillow October 17th. It was typical late summer BW weather. Tires felt amazing. was able to set a 1:57.0 late in the day. Couldn't believe the grip they had for a street tire.

Second day Streets of Willow December 5th. Cool clear day and it was fast. I set a 1:23.8 early on and could do :24's late in any session. Tires felt good as well and I was confident in the grip they provided. Stable breakaway and predictable recovery.

Third day. Buttonwillow December 19th. Perfect Buttonwillow weather. First session I was able to set a 1:55.3 on the 5th lap of the session. My previous two laps were in the :56's. Tires felt amazing and super easy to drive up to the limit. Rain ended our day early and I went out for session two only to have it sprinkle. On a damp, not wet track I set a few :58's. I was thinking they are not too bad in the wet for a extreme summer tire. Turns out it was the temp in them prior to the sprinkling.

Fourth day or continuation of Third... January 23rd. It was wet when we got to the track from overnight rain. Morning sessions were scary. Anything more than half braking and the ABS kicked in and or lock up. I had lost my confidence in their wet performance. Couldn't get heat into them for obvious reasons. Went out a few more times and the track started to show a dry line. Easily set a :57. Session 5 and the track was dry. I was again able to set :56's in the next two sessions. However I can feel they are not providing as much confidence in their grip as their earlier days. Also lap 5 of a session and they were sliding while on power.

Looking for where these tires give up and are useless. Next outing will be Auto Club in February.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running a B-Stock 2006 S2000, Whats the consensus on tire sizing front and rear? 245F/255R?
Old 04-11-2016, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by josh7owens
Running a B-Stock 2006 S2000, Whats the consensus on tire sizing front and rear? 245F/255R?
I am running Re71s in 245/255 on my S in B stock. Although with OZ Alleggeritas, I occasionally rub the inner fender clips on hard bumps. I would run 235 in a 40 series if they were offered. With as much pinching that goes on I am not sure I get any thing out of the 245 that I wouldn't get with a 225. But with a 225/45 there little weight savings, the diameter is about the same, although the width of the tread might save me a bag of clips each year.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:39 AM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

We run 225/255. While I'm not setting the world on fire, Nate Young drove it to a class win and 13th PAX in the last NNJR event last year. His comment and the comments of others was that the 245 front works better in tight turns. Most of the fast cars seem to be on 245 fronts. 255 fronts rub and from the previous comment the 245s can be a tight fit. Part of that is the de facto camber limitation because of the rules.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried running these in a 245 square setup? Our local season has started and the delivery date on the 255s keeps getting pushed back. Debating whether to go 245 square Bridgestones or 245/255 BFG Rival S. This would be for a BS car. Any thoughts?
Old 04-15-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ddess

First day was Buttonwillow October 17th. It was typical late summer BW weather. Tires felt amazing. was able to set a 1:57.0 late in the day. Couldn't believe the grip they had for a street tire.

Second day Streets of Willow December 5th. Cool clear day and it was fast. I set a 1:23.8 early on and could do :24's late in any session. Tires felt good as well and I was confident in the grip they provided. Stable breakaway and predictable recovery.

Third day. Buttonwillow December 19th. Perfect Buttonwillow weather. First session I was able to set a 1:55.3 on the 5th lap of the session. My previous two laps were in the :56's. Tires felt amazing and super easy to drive up to the limit. Rain ended our day early and I went out for session two only to have it sprinkle. On a damp, not wet track I set a few :58's. I was thinking they are not too bad in the wet for a extreme summer tire. Turns out it was the temp in them prior to the sprinkling.

Fourth day or continuation of Third... January 23rd. It was wet when we got to the track from overnight rain. Morning sessions were scary. Anything more than half braking and the ABS kicked in and or lock up. I had lost my confidence in their wet performance. Couldn't get heat into them for obvious reasons. Went out a few more times and the track started to show a dry line. Easily set a :57. Session 5 and the track was dry. I was again able to set :56's in the next two sessions. However I can feel they are not providing as much confidence in their grip as their earlier days. Also lap 5 of a session and they were sliding while on power.

Looking for where these tires give up and are useless. Next outing will be Auto Club in February.
Any update after further events?
Old 04-15-2016, 02:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mavm86
Has anyone tried running these in a 245 square setup? Our local season has started and the delivery date on the 255s keeps getting pushed back. Debating whether to go 245 square Bridgestones or 245/255 BFG Rival S. This would be for a BS car. Any thoughts?
I've recently had them installed on my 17x9 Wedsport TC105N wheels but didn't get a chance to test them at a track as my car is currently sitting on jack stands (Ohlins RTs and Stoptech ST40 will be installed soon).. I see you also reside in PNW, I will report back with some data from our local tracks (RMP,PR and ORP) once everything is installed and alignment is done
Old 04-16-2016, 08:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmants
Originally Posted by ddess' timestamp='1453657673' post='23861357

Any update after further events?
I popped for a second set of them, as the first set was done shortly after my last update. ACS wasn't good to me. Motor went boom in session 2. Tires were ok. Understeer in slow turns. But...

I just got back from day 3 on my second set.

Day 1 was CVR. I think I cooked them. Still a great tire but CVR's pavement is very abrasive. Times were good, :59's in session 1.

Day 2 was BW. Rain in the AM and mud all day. I was a bit off and only managed a :57.

Today was WSIR. Session one they felt good. Weather was in the 60's and I was able to set a :31.4. A second of my PB but that was on an ideal day with day 1 NT01's. By session 3 there was some understeer in omega. I traded wheels with a buddy who was on day 2 RE71's and the understeer was gone. They were awesome again.

So for me these are a 3-4 day tire if I drive them hard and for 6-8 hot laps. I'm thinking if I only did 4-5 hot laps they'd last longer, but who wants to do that!

From looking at my driver front tire the majority of tread is gone. I rotated front to rear after buttonwillow but if you are going to run multiple days on a clockwise track it might benefit to flipping them on the rims. Might be able to squeeze another day out of them.

I'm thinking my next might be the Maxxis VR-1. Not as fast but might last longer.

Quick Reply: Bridgestone RE71R - Anyone tried them?