S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

BSP 2014...Who's in?

Old 09-12-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a bit ridiculous to require it. It's not a bolt in. I need to find a donor (crashed?) CR to pull the tabs by the shock tower off and then weld it onto my chassis then get CR roll hoops and get the brackets for that as well. Already spent $1250 to get a stupid tonneau cover now I need to hope someone wants to hack up their CR so they can donate some tabs for me.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 AM

FYI: the rear brace is not part of the soft top or tonneau. It's an independent piece just like the CR steering rack stiffener.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve you can buy the parts with the tabs however they run about $400 per side. Contact tae auto parts they are in Tampa. They recently put a bunch of cr parts on eBay. If they still have the donor car they may be able to get the tabs

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4
Old 09-12-2013, 07:52 AM

I don't understand what you mean by donor car? My part is brand new from Honda in an original Honda box, not a takeoff from an existing CR. Is there a part number for the tabs? Either way, it seems that if it's not required (and it certainly doesn't seem that way based on the clarification) I'm jumping through hoops for no reason no?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:07 AM

The tabs are on 4/10 in the picture. These are $395 each from majestic. What i was talking about donor car is to call tae auto parts and see if they still have the cr that they parted and if they are willing to provide the tabs. They are basically two 90 degree l brackets with a threaded nut welded on.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:10 AM

btw steve, you know where i stand on the whole jump through hoops. Our tonneau should be here this week and will be on the car shortly. We will be finishing most of the build and will be ready come March!
Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 AM

Ok thanks. Now I see what you mean. But those tabs still need to get welded onto the body right? At this point I'm just going to return it since at least by the letter of the rules it isn't required. That plus requiring parts that need to be welded onto a car is where I draw the line.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it is required. Because that's part of the update / backdate of soft top removal.

You can remove the soft top if replaced by everything that the CR has in place of a soft top.

Sorry that it is hoop jumping, but you can't pick and choose. I'd wager that all it would take is a clarification of the rules to specifically require those pieces.

Otherwise can CRs gut all the pieces not on CR's, too?

IMHO, all the stuff in the back there was done because there wasn't a soft top.

If you think okay for CRs to remove those braces because other S2000s don't have them, maybe.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Update/backdate for whole pieces only apply to the drive train as far as I understand the rules. Outside of that you can mix and match across all years of the model line whatever you want. SP rules is designed for best of breed for a given model. I understand the logic of requiring a tonneau cover if you don't have a soft top but that brace isn't part of the tonneau and in my mind was just added there to help stiffen the car and is a separate part in the same way the steering rack stiffeners are there. If the bracing held a bracket that was required for the tonneau to attach to then perhaps the argument of needing it is valid. It's a fancy strut bar if you ask me. It probably helps to have it but for it be required, I don't think so.

And yes, I'd be ok for CRs to remove the brace because other S2000s don't have them. They can backdate to the AP1 which doesn't have it as far as I'm concerned since we didn't have them and they can remove the steering rack stiffeners to save more weight if they'd like as well as remove the CR aero pieces to save weight and replace them with a more autocross purpose-built splitter/spoiler. Backdate is just as applicable to us as update.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with CKit that it is required.

Quick Reply: BSP 2014...Who's in?