S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Racing and Competition (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/)
-   -   Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-racing-competition-11/can-oil-cooler-effect-oil-pressure-low-er-oil-pressure-issue-1168093/)

S2K-F8 01-18-2017 10:52 AM

Can an oil cooler effect oil pressure? Low(er) oil pressure issue

I posted this in the FI section (as that's where I normally hang out), but a fellow member suggested that I post up here for more info....

I recently switched my oil cooler setup. I ditched my Setrab oil cooler in favor of the Jackson Racing radiator/oil cooler combo, now I'm seeing lower oil pressure than before.

Cold start oil pressure is ~60psi
Warm idle pressure is 18-22psi
Both of those readings seem normal/good to me. Where I'm seeing a difference is cruising and under load oil pressure

Cruising oil pressure 60-75psi
Under load/Vtec crossover ~40psi

With the Setrab setup I was seeing 80-95psi cruising

So my big question is....can switching from a bar and plate cooler to a flow thru cooler lower my oil pressure?
On the plus side, my oil temps are staying lower/more consistant

Scott-

King Tut 01-18-2017 11:50 AM

Yes

sirbikealot7 01-18-2017 03:19 PM

Not surprising to see that result. Notice any difference in your coolant temps so far? Why did you switch from the Setrab setup?

Topplayer 01-19-2017 07:34 AM

is this a problem? does this guy have to worry about it?

S2K-F8 01-19-2017 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sirbikealot7 (Post 24137507)
Not surprising to see that result. Notice any difference in your coolant temps so far? Why did you switch from the Setrab setup?

I haven't noticed much difference in coolant temps, but I did not have an issue with coolant temps prior to switching to the JR radiator (I was running a Koyo)

My Setrab setup wasn't mounted in an ideal spot, so it wasn't getting much airflow over/thru it (so I was seeing higher oil temps than I was comfortable with). Instead of trying to build air ducts or mount fans on the Setrab unit, I decided to try the JR unit. My car is a weekend cruiser/show car, so keeping the engine compartment clean and uncluttered was a priority.

Mrsideways 01-19-2017 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by S2K-F8 (Post 24138060)
I haven't noticed much difference in coolant temps, but I did not have an issue with coolant temps prior to switching to the JR radiator (I was running a Koyo)

My Setrab setup wasn't mounted in an ideal spot, so it wasn't getting much airflow over/thru it (so I was seeing higher oil temps than I was comfortable with). Instead of trying to build air ducts or mount fans on the Setrab unit, I decided to try the JR unit. My car is a weekend cruiser/show car, so keeping the engine compartment clean and uncluttered was a priority.

You were seeing oil temps you weren't happy with on a street car..... What exactly were these oil temps you were seeing? Setrab makes a really nice cooler, I don't know what kinda core the JR unit uses, but if your getting an oil pressure drop over a setrab it would concern me a bit.

I'd also suggest sending an oil sample into blackstone. I had quite a bit more oil pressure then you've got and blackstone came back with a bunch of bearing material in the oil. Mine is a K series (but the oil systems are similar), and I was ~90psi at cold start, 50psi at hot idle and 90psi anything over 2k rpm.

S2K-F8 01-19-2017 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mrsideways (Post 24138079)
You were seeing oil temps you weren't happy with on a street car..... What exactly were these oil temps you were seeing? Setrab makes a really nice cooler, I don't know what kinda core the JR unit uses, but if your getting an oil pressure drop over a setrab it would concern me a bit.

I was seeing 235 after hard pulls....even up to 240-250 on occasion. I run Amsoil dominator racing oil, so I think the oil can handle those temps....just worried me a bit. Now I haven't seen anything over 220, and oil temps def recover faster

King Tut 01-19-2017 11:39 AM

Those oil temps and your concerns make me laugh especially on a weekend/cruiser car.

s2000Junky 01-19-2017 12:03 PM

Yeah isn't 280F when most syn oils start to break down some? 200F is like the min heat you want just to safely run the motor through its paces. 235-250F would seem right in the middle of the good range. But I'm no oil expert.

S2K-F8 01-19-2017 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by King Tut (Post 24138137)
Those oil temps and your concerns make me laugh especially on a weekend/cruiser car.

Glad I can amuse you......are these temps not high enough to worry about?