S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Car Guys?

Old 12-19-2000, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,

Anyone have any experience with the Car Guys track events? I did a search on the forum, but had no hits...

They look like a cheap way to get some racing in, and they've got days here in New York, which are hard to find! But, I'm a little concerned about

a: Too many people on the track.
b: Roll-cage not being up to snuff in the S2K.

Can anyone provide any extra info? Worth the money? Do it again? Etc?

Thanks,

Old 12-19-2000, 10:31 AM

Tim

The S2000 is good to go as a track car....

CarGuys is all about experience...if you have never been on the track you will start out in the Green group with an instructor in the car with you at all times...and wwork your way up...

It is a Lapping Day not a Racing School...meaning that passing is only done on the straightaways with a hand signal...

My first track experience ever was a Car Guys school at Rd. Atlanta and it was a blast...for the money you can't beat it
www.carguys.com
Old 12-19-2000, 10:43 AM

I attended two Car Guys events this year, I'll probably do 6 of them in 2001. There were 2 S2000's at one event, and only one at another. The S2000 rollbar is fine as is.

You will want to check your car over well before you go and buy your own helmet. Track helmets are nasty.

Keep in mind that you can easily use up a set of brake pads over a Car Guys weekend. But brake pads are cheap and easy to change.

They have an early-bird special. If you sign up before the end December you can get up to 20% off.
Old 12-19-2000, 01:14 PM

Cool! Sounds excellent... well, everything except for the whole "wear out a set of pads in a day" thing, not being terribly mechanically inclined. But, I suppose I'll have to lear how to do that if I'm going to be the track-demon I hope to become (-:

Thanks for the info! Maybe I'll see one of you there.

Old 12-19-2000, 02:16 PM

Better look into the car insurance before you go. I'm not sure your car is covered on the track. Also, I do not want to use my own car in this type of thing. Any thoughts?
Old 12-19-2000, 02:56 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

While I wouldn't want to have to make a claim on insurance, generally the way insurance contracts are written you are covered as long as you aren't racing, which for this type of event is true, and as long as your laps aren't timed. The timed laps part can get tricky because many events like this rent transponders just so you can time your laps. Of course, your insurance company doesn't have to know you rented a transponder and timed your laps since it's optional.
Old 12-19-2000, 03:41 PM

The Car Guys run this school specifically to adhere to the rules of most insurance companies. It is one of the few "Insurance Safe" methods to run your car on a real racetrack.

It is a driving class, not racing. They do not time laps and do not allow official timing of laps. Unofficially, do what you want.

All but the very, very experienced run with an instructor. Instructors are not permitted to drive the students cars.

All in all, a great experience and highly recommended.
Old 12-20-2000, 02:57 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Mikey - i know we are going to disagree on this one, but.... Have you actually checked by asking your insurance guy? I would imagine any insurance agent can become a total prick when it comes down to it.

Tim Stevens - Possibly ask Car Guys what they think about the insurance coverage, and then possibly call another agent (not your own) and ask a "hypothetical question".

I may call my insurance agent today, to see what he says. Insurance companies are not in the business to pay for people to drive their cars at 120+ mph on a track.

Scot
Old 12-20-2000, 06:47 AM

Well Scot, if you call an insurance agent and ask them if they'll cover "racing your car on a track at high speed". I can almost guarantee the response will be negative.

If however, you ask if there are any provisions against attending a "certified driving school that takes place at a private road facility", you might be surprised.

I know my agent, he's a long time friend of mine so I can be straight with him. He tells me my insurance has no provisions against the Car Guys type of events. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 12-20-2000, 05:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Mikey - When it boils down to it, you are most likely running solo at some point, and you are in excess of 120mph on many tracks. That to me means.... No insurance coverage, no matter how you slice it.

I will call though. I think if you were at a slow speed track w/ an instructor in the car when the accident occured, there might be some coverage, but not solo at a buck twenty.

Scot

Quick Reply: Car Guys?