S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Car Guys?

Old 12-20-2000, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scot, you may be right about your insurance, but you really need to talk to your agent or read your policy before spreading more fear, uncertainty and doubt.

The insurance industry is highly regulated. If this type of event or practice is not specifically prohibited by your policy, they will have to pay. They may drop you like a stone afterwards, but that can happen after any accident.

Ask yourself this, if you totaled your car driving on the highway at 160mph, would your insurance cover it? Of course it would, even though you're doing something totally illegal. Driving schools are not illegal.

BTW, my agent tells me that my policy is not unique and that most policies he writes would cover this type of event.

I've also asked the owner of the Car Guys about this, he tells the same tale. I've talked to driving instructors that have been teaching over 20 years, and they also say that the Car Guys are an insurance safe event.
Old 12-21-2000, 12:58 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Scot,

This has been discussed before and the consensus was that generally you would be covered as long as you weren't either

a) racing against other people or

b) timing your laps.

This consensus was reached by people talking to their insurance companies added in with the opinion of people who've been attending track events for a long time. While obviously an insurance company isn't going to be happy about paying for a claim that was created by a person engaging in risky behavior, that fact in and of itself doesn't relieve the insurance company of it's obligation to pay. As Mikey says they may choose to drop you like a rock after paying your claim but they're still liable for the claim.
Old 12-21-2000, 05:30 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Strike and Mikey,

After talking to my guy, given the fact that
A) i would be possibly running solo
B) I am on a track at 120+

the big fat answer was... HELL NO!... but you guys may be right.. if push came to shove they just may pay for the damage then drop me.....He is researching the absolute answer and getting back to me.

The Car Guys rep certainly wouldn't tell you anything negative (lost sales)so i wouldn't use him as a source of info.

Instead of spreading uncertainty and doubt (like me), you guys are basically telling everyone that they are covered. Better to cover your own ass and let each person do their own research.

Just my opinion....Scot

Old 12-22-2000, 04:50 AM

Well that's certainly bad news... I guess I'd have to make a call around to some insurance companies and see what's the deal. Seeing as I don't have insurance on my S2K yet (seeing as how I don't have my S2K yet ;-) I'm still free to shop around a bit.

Though I can't see any insurance agents saying "You plan to drive the car once a month at the track flat-out? Sure, we'll even give you a discount for that!)

Old 12-22-2000, 05:23 AM

I really don't see that as bad news. Scot just asked his agent a loaded question and got a typical knee jerk reaction. The fact is that if your policy doesn't specifically prohibit it, they will have to pay.

When and if you call your agent to ask about the specifics, please don't say you'll be racing your car. Because at the Car Guys (and most open track events) you do not race. It's not a contest of speed, it's a certified driving school.

As many have pointed out before, most policies usually prohibit contests of speed, very few prohibit driving schools.
Old 12-22-2000, 06:58 AM

How about auto-x, its solo but its timed. I know, I know, ask my insurance agent.
Old 12-22-2000, 07:12 AM

Just a guess on my part, but AutoX's are timed events and could be construed as contests of speed.

I don't know how likely you are to damage your car in an AutoX, but it does happen.
Old 12-22-2000, 09:12 AM

Just to add my info to the insurance question:

When I asked my insurance agent if I would be covered for a 'driver education event' at a private facility, her knee jerk reaction was "no way!, no one ever drives 100MPH, you'd never be covered!" I asked politely to point out the specific language in my policy that said that, and she said that she'd have to talk to the corporate <insurance company> guys.

A few hours later she called back to say "no way! I'm sure you wouldn't be covered!" and I asked again for the specific language. She couldn't provide it, so I asked for the name and number of the right person at the corporate offices to talk to, which she gave me.

I called them, and got a completely different story! They said that the policy won't cover medical claims arising during "a demonstration of speed" or "preparing for or participating in a contest of speed". Everything else is covered. So basically, I would have to use my own medical insurance if I was injured during a race, but my vehicle would be covered no matter what. When I described the track day that I was planning to attend, she said "yes, you would be fully covered; there's no contest of speed because there's no timing of laps."

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anyone that they are covered at the track, but don't take an agent's word that you're not covered either. Make sure that you see the specific clause in your policy that would deny coverage. You may have to talk to someone higher up than your agent. If you really want to be sure, you may need to have a lawyer look at your policy.

Ted
Old 12-22-2000, 11:08 AM

Sad that we need lawyers to decypher the plans we're paying money for...

Which company are you using for insurance, TedSter? Thanks for tracking down some concrete information.