S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Car insurance for the track

Old 01-17-2005, 06:35 PM

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Car insurance for the track

When taking your car to the track, what kind of insurance do you carry? I've checked with mine (Progressive) and they said the car is not covered if I take it on the track.

Can't seem to find any info on this subject.

Thanks...
Old 01-17-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I carry personal responsibility insurance. I.E., if I screw up, it's my own damn problem. Not to say I won't be giving Start Farm a call the next day, but I'm prepared for the likely answer. There are companies out there that will do special policies such as track day coverage.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:40 PM

Liberty Mutual is one of the few that has not added a clause spefically to prohibit track use.

Alternately, you could go the supplemental route....
http://www.americancollectorsins.com/de_quali.htm
Old 01-17-2005, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TJS,Jan 17 2005, 07:35 PM
When taking your car to the track, what kind of insurance do you carry? I've checked with mine (Progressive) and they said the car is not covered if I take it on the track.

Can't seem to find any info on this subject.

Thanks...
1) Do a search. I posted a link to an HPDE insurance company on this very board a few months ago.

or

2) Get a better insurance co. State Farm covered my track accident -- $23K. I told them it happened at a driving school on a track, and they didn't blink.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Allstate covered mine. There was a brief stoppage in payment when I misused the word "race tires" instead of track tires.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Farmers also does not prohibit track. They say no competition or preparation for competition. Most track events are HPDE events meaning there is no competition, just driving around on a track. Timing doesn't count as competition unless the times mean something in terms of awards or placement. That's a little loose. An auto-X is timed competition and if you had a problem they would probably cover it. It's a grey area for some ins cos and not so for others (geico/progressive/allstate/etc). Call and get the policy for insurance BEFORE you sign up. Read it. If it says NO TRACK then poopoo.

It's a touchy subject at best and it's best to choose your wording carefully. Your driving record and claim history will also influence the outcome or your claim. if you've had accidents or tickets or bad things on your file expect a no way.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,Jan 17 2005, 08:23 PM
It's a grey area for some ins cos and not so for others (geico/progressive/allstate/etc).
To clarify, do mean that Progressive doesn't cover it? (that's who I have)
Old 01-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Read your policy. No one here can substitute for you knowing what is is you've contracted for.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:11 PM

I'm having them send the full legal contract, but I'm just asking around trying to get some ideas or info on what other members do and what's worked for them.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:14 AM

Allstate (at least in Ohio) added an additional closed course clause about a 1.5 years ago, which is why I switched to Liberty Mutual. This was in addition to the timed/competition clause that everyone has. I aslo specifically asked about HPDE before signing on the dotted line. Read very carefully and ask for clarification from someone higher than your agent. Agents too easily will agree with you to make a sale.

Quick Reply: Car insurance for the track