S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Car running lean on racetrack

Old 04-23-2013, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car running lean on racetrack

So I just finished my supercharger setup on my AP2(04) racecar and everything came out great. Got the car tuned safely and all the A/F ratios were safe. I was trying to keep the hp moderate for reliability issues. I am running a front mount intercooler on a CT engineering kit with a novi 1200 blower. In addition I am running a 19 row mishimoto oil cooler kit and 10w 30 synthetic oil. I installed a A/F ratio gauge and a boost gauge to be able to monitor the car while I was on track. Couple things I may add. I am not running baffles on the oil pan, and not running a oil catch can. All things I was planning on doing. So here I am on track on the outlap I was just babying it just to get a feel of the car for the first time this season. Now I am on the second lap and now I am starting to push the car come off the straight at about 137 mph into a hard braking zone into the uphill right hander(turn 1) continue into turn 2 and 3 still no problems. Here is where the problems begin exiting a quick hard right onto a quick left which is turn 4, I notice the car lean out as my gauge started blinking red I noticed the car bog out till I coasted and the car settled than the power came on and I kept going. Very retartedly I continued to push the car over 5 through 6 and at speed through the straight and into another big braking zone onto a left hander which is turn 7 I noticed again while exiting 7 the car leaned out and lost power again. So I started noticing a pattern that only while exiting turn 4 and 7 the car leaned out and bog down. The only similarities between these two corners are that I am in 4th gear just about to into my vtec point which was set lower to about 4k rpms. The fuel was above a half tank. I must add I have a larger fuel pump and 1000cc injectors so I ruled fuel out of the equation. My next thought was oil. At the point that i would enter 4 and 7 the car was going through some tough g forces. Turn 4 was lateral g's and 7 was through a hard left hander. My thoughts were that the oil cooler was causing this problem. At the point that I slammed on the brakes or turn hard the oil flys to the oil cooler as the rpm were low, while exiting turn 4 and 7 I get back to full throttle causing my oil pump to work harder but now the oil has a longer travel as some of it remains in the cooler so It leans me out because the car doesn't see the proper oil pressure causing this bogging condition. I may sound crazy but this is all I can come up with. I attached a picture of the track with the turn numbers. I would appreciate some feedback thanks a lot.... I might add that i have about 5 3/4 quarts of oil in the car. The oil was a little over the hashtags on the dipstick after it passed through the cooler and supercharger which utilizes a return system.

[attachment=37923:NJMP-Lightning-Notes.jpg]
Attached Thumbnails Car running lean on racetrack-njmp-lightning-notes.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a surge tank for your fuel. I have the same setup and on hard left hand turns or sustained left, I get fuel starve. I just bought a full blown surge tank to fix this issue. With supercharger and bigger injectors, you need constant flow of fuel.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
You need a surge tank for your fuel. I have the same setup and on hard left hand turns or sustained left, I get fuel starve. I just bought a full blown surge tank to fix this issue. With supercharger and bigger injectors, you need constant flow of fuel.

^^ This +1. Full Blown surge tank FTW. Stock tank fuel pick up is on the left. Stock swirl pot is weak. Throw right and throw left and no fuel left by pickup.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM

I agree 100% but i did not do much to the handling since last year and last year i did not have this fuel Starvation problem only Difference is that i wasnt supercharged and had stock fueling . Anyways any particular brand or even from where I can order this up? I am trying to Order this week and install ASAP I have a big Race at road Atlanta in 2 weeks . Thanks for the replies.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:34 PM

http://fullblownmotorsports.com/shop...uel-surge-tank

This is the one I bought. Comes plug and play.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Either make your own or buy a the FBM kit.

I can help you with fitting P/N's if you choose to custom build.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/911...el-surge-tank/
Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryanhedianracing
I agree 100% but i did not do much to the handling since last year and last year i did not have this fuel Starvation problem only Difference is that i wasnt supercharged and had stock fueling . Anyways any particular brand or even from where I can order this up? I am trying to Order this week and install ASAP I have a big Race at road Atlanta in 2 weeks . Thanks for the replies.
Duh. More air and more fuel used per minute (and combustion cycle). How do you think you're making more power?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 PM

Where did they route your front breather tube from the valve cover? You said no catch can yet, is it still plumbed into your intake?
Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by mrcbr600
Where did they route your front breather tube from the valve cover? You said no catch can yet, is it still plumbed into your intake?
It runs of the intake side of the supercharger basically a rubber hose that routes to the breather tube on the valve cover.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by 99SH
Either make your own or buy a the FBM kit.

I can help you with fitting P/N's if you choose to custom build.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/911...el-surge-tank/

Thanks alot man. I'm gonna try and order this up tomorrow .

Quick Reply: Car running lean on racetrack