S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

CF trunk- can it handle a big wing?

Old 05-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CF trunk- can it handle a big wing?

I'm looking for an extra trunk lid to mount a big wing onto it. A local guy has a CF trunk lid for sale. Can these handle/support a wing? I feel stupid asking, but I really don't know the answer. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just use your regular trunk for the wing and use the ricer cf trunk on your car when not racing. It all depends on how the trunk is made, as a lot of CF parts are just fiberglass with a thin layer of CF on the outside.

You can always paint the CF trunk to match your car, or just find another oem trunk.

--
Brian
Old 05-26-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How much is this CF trunk? You could just try it. Or check the local wrecking yards for an S2000 trunk.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, a CF component is stronger than sheet metal and lighter and it would make a good choice to mount a wing on. This is what I will do when the time comes.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,May 27 2006, 12:39 AM
Yes, a CF component is stronger than sheet metal
That's a silly thing to say. CF is not magic. It can be stronger than an OEM trunk or it can be weaker than an OEM trunk. It can be heavier than an OEM trunk or it can be lighter than an OEM trunk. It all depends on the details of how many plies and how it was laid up and cured.

An OEM trunk is a known quantity. This particular CF trunk is an unknown, at this point.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:09 PM
Administrator

It's silly to say it's not. You are making an assumption that the CF trunk in question is a piece of homemade garbage and I think that's far more of a stretch than saying that a piece of steel sheet metal is stiffer and stronger than a CF of the same thickness and shape even if the CF is half-assed. I'm giving FF some credit in not buying a total piece of shit which is what it would have to be and then some to be incapable of supporting the same weight as the stock trunk lid -- which incidentally isn't capable of supporting anything but it's own weight.

If you don't think so take yours off and stand on it. I'd be more than happy to put 200 lbs on a CF lid but I would never consider standing on a stock lid. We are talking about 200-500lbs of downforce. If you can't stand it then it makes no sense to think the 200 lbs applied to it by the wing is any better a choice.

The rice in your eyes in blinding you from basic material facts. Just because someone did something in the past because it was expedient at the time doesn't mean that is still make sense today. At the time when people starting putting wings on their trunks an OE lid was the only option available. Getting a spare was done to preserve the original for street use. Since that time there are a number of other options including reasonably priced CF choices. If you are starting today and the choice of CF is an option it makes far more sense to me than to make the same choices others made when they had no choices.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,May 27 2006, 01:09 PM
You are making an assumption that the CF trunk in question is a piece of homemade garbage and I think that's far more of a stretch than saying that a piece of steel sheet metal is stiffer and stronger than a CF of the same thickness and shape even if the CF is half-assed.
No, I'm not making any assumption at all. You are. And for what it's worth, I'm an aerospace engineer. I've got a lot of experience with all sorts of carbon fiber parts. I've seen CF beams that you hang an airplane off of and I've seen CF sheets that a little kid could snap in two. All we know about this trunk is that it is carbon fiber. That's not enough information to know if it can support the loads of a wing.

And don't misattribute what I have said and not said. I never said the OEM trunk would be stronger. All I said was "How much is this CF trunk? You could just try it. Or check the local wrecking yards for an S2000 trunk."
Old 05-27-2006, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Aerospace engineer or not I can read and what you said was:

"That's a silly thing to say. CF is not magic. It can be stronger than an OEM trunk or it can be weaker than an OEM trunk. It can be heavier than an OEM trunk or it can be lighter than an OEM trunk. It all depends on the details of how many plies and how it was laid up and cured."

Which is basically nothing. Why not save bandwidth and write maybe, maybe not instead.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by cthree,May 27 2006, 05:35 PM
Which is basically nothing.
Right. Because I'm not the one trying to say that a part which I have not seen and has not even really been described in this thread is solid enough to take 200-300 pounds of force. And you claim I was the one making assumptions?

The point here is that the OEM trunk lid is a known quantity, and this vaguely described CF part is a complete unknown. So both the answers "yes it can hold the wing" and "no it can't hold the wing" are pretty questionable, because you just have no way of really judging.
Old 05-28-2006, 02:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[Going around the previous argument]

I would guess that if you are using a big wing on either lid that you should reinforce the mounting points. If you can spread the stress over a greater area then even a weak, thin material has a chance of taking the stress.

Quick Reply: CF trunk- can it handle a big wing?