S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Cobalt Spec VR front and GT-Sport rear

Old 07-11-2006, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cobalt Spec VR front and GT-Sport rear

Okay many people run Cobalt Spec VR for the front and Spec B or C for the rear. I am thinking about trying Cobalt Spec VR for the front and just GT-Sport for the rear. I just had it with the GT-Sport front and rear and decide I can spend 20 mins a day or 2 before the track event swaping out to race pads......2-3 laps before brake fade isn't fun anymore! Are there any reason not to run GT-Sport on the rear, I don't know if it going to give me too much of a different in front and rear bias.

Thanks
Old 07-11-2006, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pongydoo,Jul 11 2006, 07:21 PM
Okay many people run Cobalt Spec VR for the front and Spec B or C for the rear. I am thinking about trying Cobalt Spec VR for the front and just GT-Sport for the rear. I just had it with the GT-Sport front and rear and decide I can spend 20 mins a day or 2 before the track event swaping out to race pads......2-3 laps before brake fade isn't fun anymore! Are there any reason not to run GT-Sport on the rear, I don't know if it going to give me too much of a different in front and rear bias.

Thanks
If you run rear pads of lower temp limits than the front pads, you risk really cooking them.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 280 Likes on 140 Posts

The question is moot -- Cobalt pads are out of production for the forseeable future. Try Hawks.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by twohoos,Jul 11 2006, 07:37 PM
The question is moot -- Cobalt pads are out of production for the forseeable future. Try Hawks.
GT-Sport are available now (or still available) as far as I know (ordered them about 3 weeks ago) but I don't know about other compound.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:56 PM

Running track-only pads up front with high-performance pads rear is fine. In your case the VRs up front and the GT Sports is a good combo. For track days where run sessions are typically 15-20 mins, it would be very difficult to overheat the rears.

Now finding a set of VRs is difficult, so you'll have to go with Carbotech or Hawk.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by PilotSH,Jul 11 2006, 08:56 PM
Running track-only pads up front with high-performance pads rear is fine. In your case the VRs up front and the GT Sports is a good combo. For track days where run sessions are typically 15-20 mins, it would be very difficult to overheat the rears.
I could show you a set of rear pads cooked into a crumbly mess that says it's not all that difficult.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jul 11 2006, 07:43 PM
If you run rear pads of lower temp limits than the front pads, you risk really cooking them.
But the rear doesn't run to the same high temps as the front. For example, even Carbotech recommends and makes lower temp compounds for the rear (and does not make VR's for the rear, for example). A crumbling pad is just a bad pad, like R4S's.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:41 PM

Could be. Anyway, I guess my experience is that you can't just toss anything onto the rear and figure it doesn't matter. I know that's not what was said -- I'm just saying "be careful".
Old 07-11-2006, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Jul 11 2006, 09:59 PM
I could show you a set of rear pads cooked into a crumbly mess that says it's not all that difficult.
Maybe your brand of pad wasn't up to par for track use. I've never heard of anyone cooking a set of GT-Sport rears at a HPDE. I'm not a big fan of comparing heat ranges of pads from different manufacturers, but I don't mind comparing heat ranges from the same manufacturer. According to their website, the heat range of the Spec C (race compound for rears) is is 150-900F, while the GT-Sport is 75-950F. While I'm sure that their bite and braking characteristics are different, if you're cooking the GT-Sports in the rears, then something's wrong.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 AM

I don't have a problem cooking the front pads, but running Cobalt VR front and Project Mu street pads for the rear (I know, I know) at the track, brake balance became an issue. Replaced them with VXs, car brakes perfectly and quickly.

Quick Reply: Cobalt Spec VR front and GT-Sport rear