S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

CR steering stiffeners

Old 01-06-2009, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carrera4' date='Jan 6 2009, 01:42 PM
the the CR sway flexes the frame in that area a bit and so a brace was needed. Seems plausible.
Ah, makes sense -- you communicated in one sentence what leester01 was unable to in several posts.

I'm still skeptical, though. The CR's front sway bar isn't particularly stiff in the grand scheme of things, and the S2000's sway bar brackets aren't particularly beefy either. Applying Occam's Razor: "the steering rack could benefit from more reinforcement, and the CR track special seems like as good a place as any to provide that" seems more plausible than "the CR's sway bar, which isn't significantly stiffer than earlier S2000 sway bars, and which is massively less stiff than many aftermarket bars, is causing the frame to flex enough to necessitate steering rack reinforcement".

On a related note, since I don't have an S2000 in front of me: how proximate are the sway bar mounts to the steering rack mounts?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by leester01' date='Jan 6 2009, 01:22 PM
Do you know what springs do? They absorb force
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_spring
Don't believe me? Go ahead and remove yours
I never claimed they didn't. You wrote that they "absorb G-forces loads" -- which doesn't make sense but seems to imply that they make cornering easier -- which is what I disputed.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster' date='Jan 6 2009, 03:01 PM
Ah, makes sense -- you communicated in one sentence what leester01 was unable to in several posts.
He understood me just fine so stop being so salty.
You don't have to resort to playing around with words to try to discredit me.
If you want to believe your own theories or someone elses that contradict what I post then do so and I will respect that.
Lets please bring this back and forth bickering to an end.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster' date='Jan 6 2009, 04:01 PM
On a related note, since I don't have an S2000 in front of me: how proximate are the sway bar mounts to the steering rack mounts?
The sway bar mounts are inches from the steering rack. I don't know the exact proximity to the steering rack mounts or if they share the same beams.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

steering rack mounts to the sub frame which bolts to the frame rails. The fsb mounts to brakets hung from the frame rails.

They might be close to each other, but they're not attached.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:01 PM

Pedal IS right. And threadjackers:

The stiffener boxes the steering rack mounts, AND bolts to the subframe. Nothing more or less. Has absolutely nothing to do with the sway bar. Nothing.

This brace was needed because of torsion in the steering rack, which has shown up in a few steering box failures. Read the archives. I have the brace and it makes a significant difference in feel. In a stock non-CR car.

The upgraded sway bar is not associated with this. It is stiffer, but nowhere near as stiff as say gendron, which doesn't magically destroy the mounts or require the steering stiffener.

Conflation and baseless supposition has no part of this forum, go to talk or someplace else.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by INTJ' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:01 PM
Pedal IS right. And threadjackers:

The stiffener boxes the steering rack mounts, AND bolts to the subframe. Nothing more or less. Has absolutely nothing to do with the sway bar. Nothing.

This brace was needed because of torsion in the steering rack, which has shown up in a few steering box failures. Read the archives. I have the brace and it makes a significant difference in feel. In a stock non-CR car.

The upgraded sway bar is not associated with this. It is stiffer, but nowhere near as stiff as say gendron, which doesn't magically destroy the mounts or require the steering stiffener.
Not sure what your definition of threadjacker is, but I think we were all taking about the same basic subject.

A whole group of us in the Bay Area installed the braces, and I don't think a single person reported noticing any difference in feel, including myself.

Originally Posted by INTJ' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:01 PM
Conflation and baseless supposition has no part of this forum, go to talk or someplace else.
Yes sir.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Former Moderator

true that, no difference in feel.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by robinson' date='Jan 6 2009, 05:12 PM
All the frame is there to do is hold up the sway bar so it does not move up or down. The twisting motion is never transferred to the frame as the sway bar moves inside the bushings.
I understand leester's point of view now.

The only reason the sway bar twists inside the bushings is because the frame (mostly) holds it in place vertically. If those mounts weren't there and the swaybar was just bolted to each suspension arm, it would form a diagonal line (relative to the horizontal line through the frame) when one side of the suspension was compressed and the other extended. Fixing it in place makes it resort to twisting.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K' date='Jan 7 2009, 04:09 PM
Not sure what your definition of threadjacker is, but I think we were all taking about the same basic subject.

A whole group of us in the Bay Area installed the braces, and I don't think a single person reported noticing any difference in feel, including myself.

Yes sir.
Voodoo what is your deal? You constantly challenge people when you don't even have a clue of the verbiage, let alone the engineering. I called you on the tire issue last week.

I can't tell you why or your buddies can't feel a difference. I can. Don't like the part fine by me.

The threadjacking comes from the useless drivel about sway bars. Not the same absic subject, but you knew that.

Quick Reply: CR steering stiffeners