S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

To delete the pcv or not delete the pcv

Old 07-26-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
I removed mine and put in a Crawford Air Oil Separator which keeps vacuum on the crankcase at all times. The AOS has two ports, so I ran both ports on the valve cover to them.
How's dumping it? Does it fill up often?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:02 PM

Received 121 Likes on 97 Posts

It drains back into the oil pan. I don't have to do anything, ever.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:02 PM

Oh I had read you dont want that shit going back in as it contains all kinds of vapor including water, but hey...if your oil still looks clear after 3000 miles then there might be some falsehood in those claims.

Got a el-cheapo catch can from a guy today and installed a sheet metal baffle and plugged the top of the breather in hopes of getting at least the pcv onto a catch can setup. Unfortunately, the mounting location I had in mind didnt work out as the can is too tall. Guess I will have to find a horizontal can, such as the Greddy, to mount on the front support bar. Here were my efforts until the tragic realization.

To delete the pcv or not delete the pcv-anlunnp.jpg
To delete the pcv or not delete the pcv-jipco0t.jpg
To delete the pcv or not delete the pcv-77dvtjq.jpg
To delete the pcv or not delete the pcv-y44v7jo.jpg
Old 07-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Oh I had read you dont want that shit going back in as it contains all kinds of vapor including water, but hey...if your oil still looks clear after 3000 miles then there might be some falsehood in those claims.
Ideally, you should be getting it hot enough (eventually) to burn off the moisture. The color of the oil doesn't indicate its health. I've gone back and forth with whether I should drain or not, but after 4 years of it on another car and now having one on my S2000, oil sampling comes back with positive results.

I just have no desire to drain a catch can, want to retain vacuum on the crankcase, as well as keep the oil vapor from gumming up my intake/IAC/etc.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:50 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

I removed mine and put in a Crawford Air Oil Separator which keeps vacuum on the crankcase at all times. The AOS has two ports, so I ran both ports on the valve cover to them.
And you don't have a problem with the engine ingesting oil vapors? The concern with putting vaccuum on the crankcase is it'll find its way back into the intake path. If not that's good to hear.

Also are you a big believer in keeping vaccuum on the crankcase? I've never been a believer and seen it just cause problems with oil gumming things up..?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by yamahaSHO' timestamp='1437948244' post='23693591
And you don't have a problem with the engine ingesting oil vapors? The concern with putting vaccuum on the crankcase is it'll find its way back into the intake path. If not that's good to hear.

Also are you a big believer in keeping vaccuum on the crankcase? I've never been a believer and seen it just cause problems with oil gumming things up..?
Zero oil ingesting.

Yes, I am a believer in keeping vacuum on the crankcase, but only when oil is separated from the air.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1438048935' post='23695086
Ideally, you should be getting it hot enough (eventually) to burn off the moisture.
If it's a closed system where is it going to "burn off" to?

Glad the samples are coming back clean. That's what counts.

Plan as of now is to go the AP2 valve cover route before the next track event in October and see how that does. Now that I recall though, I remember my AP2 blowing a huge cloud of blue smoke at the last dragon event, so even the ap2 is susceptible
Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
If it's a closed system where is it going to "burn off" to?
The intake.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Zero oil ingesting.

Yes, I am a believer in keeping vacuum on the crankcase, but only when oil is separated from the air.
This.

You want vacuum on the crankcase to evacuate excess gasses. The slight pressure drop in the crank actually can aid in combustion efficiency. Supposedly the vacuum will help the rings stay seated. Serious drag racers use crankcase evacuation pumps for this reason.
Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

I removed mine and put in a Crawford Air Oil Separator which keeps vacuum on the crankcase at all times.
How does it keep vacuum at WOT?

Quick Reply: To delete the pcv or not delete the pcv