S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Designing better APR GTC200 Endplates

Old 04-29-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

Preorders for the first batch are now up for sale:

https://baero.tech/shop/preorder-end...r-gtc-200-wing
Old 05-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Now that you've got the flat end plates mastered, what about bent end plates? I know there was discussion that they could not curve outward like the new 737 because it would widen the wing. What about curving the bottom inward? It looks like Lamborghini sees an improvement in this feature.
Attached Thumbnails Designing better APR GTC200 Endplates-photo913.jpg  
Old 05-04-2018, 08:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Why not make a cold air intake for forced induction S2000s? Every car with a turbo seems to have a huge K&N filter sitting behind the radiator...which is really behind the intercooler, A/C, oil cooler, and radiator. That air can't be cool. Supra's often take out the right side headlight for cold air.

It is a tight fit in the S2000. Virtually all supercharged ones have a centrifugal compressor sitting n front of the engine. Some of the turbocharged ones have the turbo in front of the engine. But even those with the turbo along side the engine have the air filter behind the radiator.

It gets even trickier. Many of these cars see track days or even competition. Those cars will virtually all have brake cooling ducts (you made ducts also) using the front panels. In all cases it has to be able to handle rainy and snowy days without water getting in the engine.

This isn't a simple problem. It probably will need a top piece in the hood and a bottom piece that that contains the air filter. Fortunately the silicon ducting often used to the compressor inlet offers lots of configuration options.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by will010100
Now that you've got the flat end plates mastered, what about bent end plates? I know there was discussion that they could not curve outward like the new 737 because it would widen the wing. What about curving the bottom inward? It looks like Lamborghini sees an improvement in this feature.
Interesting idea. I'll check if it's legal then take a look.
Old 05-05-2018, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
Why not make a cold air intake for forced induction S2000s? Every car with a turbo seems to have a huge K&N filter sitting behind the radiator...which is really behind the intercooler, A/C, oil cooler, and radiator. That air can't be cool. Supra's often take out the right side headlight for cold air.

It is a tight fit in the S2000. Virtually all supercharged ones have a centrifugal compressor sitting n front of the engine. Some of the turbocharged ones have the turbo in front of the engine. But even those with the turbo along side the engine have the air filter behind the radiator.

It gets even trickier. Many of these cars see track days or even competition. Those cars will virtually all have brake cooling ducts (you made ducts also) using the front panels. In all cases it has to be able to handle rainy and snowy days without water getting in the engine.

This isn't a simple problem. It probably will need a top piece in the hood and a bottom piece that that contains the air filter. Fortunately the silicon ducting often used to the compressor inlet offers lots of configuration options.

I mainly start with stuff I really want for my car, then I make them available for everyone else. Since I will be NA forever I don't see myself ever needing this. I do make custom stuff so whoever did want it I can take a look for them.

I honestly have never seen a FI S2000 at the track yet.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:06 PM

This video discusses the aerodynamics of the vertical slats on the bottom of wing endplates, using the 2019 F1 Ferrari as the example.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:25 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

FYI. Some air temp measurements off heat exchangers:
https://motoiq.com/project-s2000-par...ers-and-vents/

Hood NACA duct which could be used to provide cold air to a turbo inlet:
https://motoiq.com/project-s2000-par...t-air-testing/

Old 02-22-2019, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
FYI. Some air temp measurements off heat exchangers:
https://motoiq.com/project-s2000-par...ers-and-vents/

Hood NACA duct which could be used to provide cold air to a turbo inlet:
https://motoiq.com/project-s2000-par...t-air-testing/
MrSideways, when he wasn't winning the STR championship, built this radiator with an air inlet to the side. He has the oil cooler using the ducts on the side.

Old 02-23-2019, 04:22 AM

This video discusses the aerodynamics of the vertical slats on the bottom of wing endplates, using the 2019 F1 Ferrari as the example.

https://youtu.be/DNROTNOg558?t=398
I tried these, they're not very beneficial to a single element. F1 cars are outwashing, whereas GT cars are mostly inwashing so they're a whole different animal.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by roel03
I tried these, they're not very beneficial to a single element. F1 cars are outwashing, whereas GT cars are mostly inwashing so they're a whole different animal.
Not sure I understand how inwash and outwash apply to rear wings. On the front wing it is whether the flow is directed between the wheel and the body or outside the wheel. On a rear wing? In the video, Scarborough was indicating they are used to increase the flow under the wing increasing its downforce.

Quick Reply: Designing better APR GTC200 Endplates