S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Doing my first LeMons race

Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Doing my first LeMons race

Next weekend at Thunderhill.

Team Red Bear E30 320E sponsored by www.fubar.com

I can't wait, been wanting to try a LeMons race for a few years now.

-Ry
Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's always fun to see who can last a race w/ a serious bucket! LOL. Good luck! Post up some pictures if you get a chance of the build!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 PM

Good Luck, Rylan!
(Did LeMons at Altamont and Buttonwillow...most fun I've had on track and always a great weekend!!).
Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 AM

You're a brave man! I always hear generally good things from those who've done a LeMons race, but the idea of being on the track with so many disparate cars, many (most) of which are driven by folks who've never done wheel-to-wheel racing before, is not attractive to me.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:52 AM
Administrator

Every contact is rewarded with a 30 minute penalty. The goal is to avoid contact at all costs.

Also the cars aren't that fast and I've been lapping slow cars for years with scca, I don't worry so much about the rookies. You always have to deal with slow and people who do shit that doesn't make sense on track.

At least they're hitting a 500 dollar car I don't care about.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

penalties are totally different and completely at the call of the judges...

at a recent race we were pushed off the road by another car and were penalized 2 hours because of contact...

I saw penalties for different things ranging from writing on your car to having your whole team locked together with a chain and then given a ziplock bag full of about 100 keys only one that works...

I think it was fun here in Colorado but recommend you go into this series looking for track time and door to door time on track... not looking for a competitive racing series its all for fun and the jokes not about the racing, I would say 70% of the people there were more there about the spectacle than even having their car on track the whole race
Old 07-30-2010, 11:45 AM
Administrator

we're gonna try to win and yup I get there are people out there for many reasons, including just for fun.

The game is staying out of trouble and avoiding all contact, going fast isn't the game for sure.

-Ry
Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Former Moderator

Have fun! I've done 2 chumpcar races this year and it's been a blast. We might enter a LeMons race next year but from what we've been told LeMons is a bit more strict than chumpcar. Chumpcar they do let you rub and bump a bit before giving you penalties.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:36 PM

I did a couple last seaon with Mark Anderson (the 928 monster from LA) We had an absolute blast. I was laughing the moment I entered the paddock. no kidding, I didnt stop smiling for a week! (we raced that automatic red 928 "estate" that was made to look like a stationwagon.)
watch the flags, and do not ever get two wheels off, or even one! they will bring you in and penalize you by making your team write 100times on the car with a magic marker, "I will not pass under yellow...etc". in the end, that could cost you 30mins! so, there are lots of yellows and over two days, you might get one clean lap or a lap that doesnt have more than 1 yellow.

by the way, do you remember that cartoon you posted from Xtra Normal? it was about the autox'er picking up on chicks at a bar. (cartoon video made by a special application on line) do you remember the link???

take video of the lemons race!

Mine is on the youtube from thunderhill last fall.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKaFrt3RInQ [/media]
Old 07-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyKarim,Jul 30 2010, 02:04 PM
Have fun! I've done 2 chumpcar races this year and it's been a blast. We might enter a LeMons race next year but from what we've been told LeMons is a bit more strict than chumpcar. Chumpcar they do let you rub and bump a bit before giving you penalties.
I had a lot more fun when we ran chump in our car, its more of a racers series and is a little cheaper (no spectator or pit crew fees)

As far as winning goes my team set out to win as we had won previously in chump but upon arriving at lemons we were hit with a 1000 lap penalty, which according to lemons rules would make our 1990 honda civic DX worth about $10,000 (1lap per $10)...

At the end of the race they apologized for the penalty and said that they shouldn't have handed it out but didn't like use to start and that we looked like cheaters so that's what we get.

I recommend showing up to the judges table with lots of bribes from booze to cash and dont act like your there to race or they will get ya

It really is about lasting the whole race and getting minimal penalty laps if you can do that you will be up top

Quick Reply: Doing my first LeMons race