S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Door Locks

Old 08-14-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Locks

Has anyone noticed their doors unlocking on their own after/during a hard AutoX run? I notice that my driver's door is unlocked at the end of a run, when I purposely lock it beforehand.

And if something is wrong, how would I go about getting it fixed? Seems like a safety issue and I am still under warranty. I can't exactly go to the dealer and explain the cause of the problem can I?

Thanks for anything.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my center console kept opening up while on the course and i thought it was my car. i just needed to lock it
Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by matthewsolo,Aug 14 2009, 04:24 PM
Has anyone noticed their doors unlocking on their own after/during a hard AutoX run? I notice that my driver's door is unlocked at the end of a run, when I purposely lock it beforehand.

And if something is wrong, how would I go about getting it fixed? Seems like a safety issue and I am still under warranty. I can't exactly go to the dealer and explain the cause of the problem can I?
Personally I think it's a safety issue to have the doors locked in the first place. Can you imagine someone having to pull you out of your car and they go to grab the handle and the door is locked. Think of all of the time lost trying to figure out how to unlocked the door.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's bizarre.

But I've never locked my doors autocrossing....
Old 08-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Voodoo_S2K,Aug 15 2009, 04:58 PM
Personally I think it's a safety issue to have the doors locked in the first place. Can you imagine someone having to pull you out of your car and they go to grab the handle and the door is locked. Think of all of the time lost trying to figure out how to unlocked the door.
on the flip side imagine rolling up to a stop light and then out of nowhere a carjacker opens up your door and hops in the car or pulls you out.

I personally love the fact that modern cars lock the doors when you start to move.

Am I paranoid? perhaps....lol
Old 08-16-2009, 08:50 PM

paranoid, yes.

my wife would disagree, she thinks 88.7% of the population are well equipped, plotting murderers (and all spiders are deadly).

If you were ever an original AP1 owner, you'd have come to grips with the notion that this car does NOTHING for you automatically. It was a $30k engine with a few thousand bucks of cheap carpeting and gorgeous styling around it.

As for locking the door during an AutoX, I don't see why. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but locking the door isn't like it's some sort of strong 'deadbolt', but rather it makes the door opening handles not work.

So unless you think you might accidentally pull the handle on your run, what's the point? The flip side is that if you have an incident and need outside assistance, they're locked out.

As to the actual problem..... the key fob flailing around and hitting the unlock button?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Clark,Aug 16 2009, 08:50 PM
the key fob flailing around and hitting the unlock button?
If that worked easily, I wouldn't have to reach over to the passenger door to let my wife in the car.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:18 AM

I also think it is a safety issue, however, that is why I always LOCK my doors. In a crash, having the door stay closed increases the ability of the cockpit to resist crushing. With the door open, the car is more likely to fold in half. With the door locked, the door is more certain to stay shut and increase my chance of survival.

I would rather be alive when help comes rather than have my body be easy to remove.

Also, in a crash, if an unlocked door stays shut, it may not be openable anyway.

So, six of one, half dozen of another? I always lock my doors for safety.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Thistler,Aug 17 2009, 08:18 AM
I also think it is a safety issue, however, that is why I always LOCK my doors. In a crash, having the door stay closed increases the ability of the cockpit to resist crushing. With the door open, the car is more likely to fold in half. With the door locked, the door is more certain to stay shut and increase my chance of survival.
I don't see how having the door locked in any way helps keep the door closed in an accident. As Clark already said, it's not like it's a deadbolt or some other secondary locking mechanism.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you autoxing in Compton?

Quick Reply: Door Locks