S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Driving at the Limit of Street Tires?

Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving at the Limit of Street Tires?

I've searched but couldn't find a thread that dealt with my question.

First, a little background... this is my first year doing track and autoX events. So far, I've done 9 autoX and 4 track events (6 days) with three other track events registered and more planned before the end of the year. My car's stock except for a K&N FIPK and a HD roll bar. I've run all these events on stock RE050 tires. I feel like I have improved my driving considerably since the beginning of the year. I've also read a few driving books to help me get there along with getting great instructors at track events. I realize I still have a lot to learn, but I think that's the fun part of it all.

My understanding is that I should stay with stock tires as long as I can so that I don't stunt my learning curve. A common advise that I've heard is not to switch to R compounds until "you're screeching the tires at every turn or driving at the limit of the tires." Based on my experience from autoX events, my times actually get worse if I'm constantly "screeching" or "sliding" my tires at the turns. I get my best times when I'm smooth and the tires make just a bit of noise here and there. I haven't timed myself yet at track events, but I'll get my first chance at the upcoming Redline event at Summit Point - Shenandoah.

So, the question is how do you know when you're driving at the limit of your street tries? Is there a certain type of noise or anything else that I should be looking for? My main reason for asking is I'd like to determine when I can/should switch to R compounds. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Calvin.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:47 PM

for me, it was when I had three independant instructors say "you're driving at the limit of your tires".

I'm still driving in the OEMs since I am only doing HPDE days, enjoy the car and don't feel like spending the coin on a 2nd set of rims yet. But seriously, when you can drive smooth around every turn and still screech, then you are at the car's limits. Obviously, if you are jerky, you can get the wheels to squeel but actually be driving slower, but when you find yourself driving your fastest laps AND squeeling around every turn, then its time to upgrade.

BTW. You don't happen to be going up to Watkins Glen Oct 1-2?

Edit: It sounds to me like you might still have a little more to learn on those OEMs. Nothing wrong with that, I"m still on OEMs until I get a little more experiance too. Next time you take your car to the track on OEMs, see if you can compare your lap times. If you notice yourself at the top of your game while squeeling through just about all of every turn, then you can think about upgrades. I'm at that point (or I would like to think I am), but I'm still sticking with OEMs for a bit longer since I feel like I can still learn more. Once it gets "boring" I'll upgrade.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM

haha awesome..your name is calvin and your sn is hobbes.

anyways on your topic...i've had 10+ track events and i'm still on street tires. i'm gonna try to stay on them for maybe another year..its cheaper anyways i guess i should get an instructor to evaluate my driving and see if i'm getting to the limit of them..still think i have space to improve

to me it seems like some tracks squeel a lot and some tracks dont squeel until you're absolutely on the limit. like when some tracks around here get repaved the squeeling characteristics change
Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by trump26901,Sep 11 2007, 06:47 PM
for me, it was when I had three independant instructors say "you're driving at the limit of your tires".

I'm still driving in the OEMs since I am only doing HPDE days, enjoy the car and don't feel like spending the coin on a 2nd set of rims yet. But seriously, when you can drive smooth around every turn and still screech, then you are at the car's limits. Obviously, if you are jerky, you can get the wheels to squeel but actually be driving slower, but when you find yourself driving your fastest laps AND squeeling around every turn, then its time to upgrade.

BTW. You don't happen to be going up to Watkins Glen Oct 1-2?

Edit: It sounds to me like you might still have a little more to learn on those OEMs. Nothing wrong with that, I"m still on OEMs until I get a little more experiance too. Next time you take your car to the track on OEMs, see if you can compare your lap times. If you notice yourself at the top of your game while squeeling through just about all of every turn, then you can think about upgrades. I'm at that point (or I would like to think I am), but I'm still sticking with OEMs for a bit longer since I feel like I can still learn more. Once it gets "boring" I'll upgrade.
Thanks for your input. I haven't had any of my instructors say that I'm driving at the limit of my tires. I guess that's what I'm really trying to figure out... whether the tires should be screeching for me to be driving at the limit.

I haven't done Watkins Glen yet. Definitely next year. I've only run on Summit Point Main, Summit Point Shenandoah and VIR full. I plan to venture up North next year to try out other tracks I'll get lap times at my next event at Shenandoah. I'll see how it goes then.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by ericshun,Sep 11 2007, 06:52 PM
haha awesome..your name is calvin and your sn is hobbes.

anyways on your topic...i've had 10+ track events and i'm still on street tires. i'm gonna try to stay on them for maybe another year..its cheaper anyways i guess i should get an instructor to evaluate my driving and see if i'm getting to the limit of them..still think i have space to improve

to me it seems like some tracks squeel a lot and some tracks dont squeel until you're absolutely on the limit. like when some tracks around here get repaved the squeeling characteristics change
I've used Hobbs on different forums for a while. It makes it easier for me to remember my ID. For me, it depends on the setup of the corner more than the track as far as squealing goes. I generally don't tend to squeal much. It's more like a chirp.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

The best way to find the limit is to go OVER the limit so next time you know where that fine line is. Since your doing autoX's going over the limit just means you might spin out and hit a cone or two...no harm done
Old 09-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should switch now. Want to be a better driver? Drive a faster car for a while. When you get back in yours it will seem like slow motion.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:39 PM

Get a ride in a well setup s2k driven by a good driver at or near the limit.
You will quickly know whether you are at or near the limit of your tires in your car.
It will be that obvious.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you are pretty quick on those street tires Calvin Now get some R's on there come play with us at FC

There was a good discussion on here a month or so ago about the merits of street tires and R compounds as far a learning is concerned. Good points were made for both sides, but R compounds were touted more for their ability to provide better feedback at the limit, which is a major component of improving your overall driving skills. Not to mention they are a lot more fun! The downside: brake pads need upgrading and you may be itching for a stiffer suspension before long.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:38 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

well if you have to ask... then you just need more seat time ! really that's all it is

Quick Reply: Driving at the Limit of Street Tires?