S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Effects of Brake Pad Bias

Old 10-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II
Originally Posted by ndogg' timestamp='1350683582' post='22095863
Plus a square tire setup adds more front grip than the stock stagger. Further increasing the need for more front bias on the brakes.
If we say the limit of braking is actually the tires , wouldn't you be able to relieve the bias at the front towards the rear to make it more balanced? The grip available at the front to slow the car is greater (most of the braking force anyways), so the front brakes wouldn't have to do as much on their own?

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but if going from non-staggered to staggered, it would make since that you get get away with less of a pad stagger since the fronts don't have to work as much with the added contact patch.
No, the rear of the car is going into ABS before the fronts--the rear braking has exceeded the amount of grip available and the tire is skidding. Adding more aggressive rear brake pads will simply get you into the skid and ABS sooner.

The front brakes are working harder than the rear because the front tires have more grip available (more weight on the front tires allows more braking actin). Lift the rear completely off the ground and spin the rear tire--how much brake is needed to stop it?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 PM
Former Moderator

What kind of life are you getting out of the carbotech enduro pads? I'm thinking of going with Raybestos ST-43
Cory, I'm getting great life out of the Enduro pads but they're eating up my expensive brake disks. They seem to be similar to the XP12 in their disk wear. I'm going back to XP10s or XR2s up front after these Enduro pads wear out.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CKit
Originally Posted by psychoazn' timestamp='1350695568' post='22096198
Non-staggered is moot. Anyone running race pads is likely running race camber, which means contact patch is limited to the inner half-ish of the tire anyways.

Just some food for thought
Until you brake and the suspension and tire compresses under the weight.
What about the guys running 255/45/17 on 17x10 with 16k springs? I can't imagine the tires flexing THAT much. You might get 80% contact if that.

One thing that REALLY stands out to me is how quickly my BRZ stops compared to the s2k. We all know tire compound is the limiting factor. The BRZ ran 215 star specs, while the s2k runs 255 RS3. In theory, the S2k should have every advantage. In reality, the lack of camber on the BRZ allows it to brake later from the same speed... contact patch.

as always YMMV; just some more food for thought.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may be right, but I have a hard time believing that the braking difference is all attributed to camber.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Former Moderator

Psycho, the S2000 is known in the wheel-to-wheel racing community for having superb brakes and the ability to out brake almost anything on the track. If your Subaru is braking better than your S2000 then your S2000 probably has a problem.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:30 AM

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob
Psycho, the S2000 is known in the wheel-to-wheel racing community for having superb brakes and the ability to out brake almost anything on the track. If your Subaru is braking better than your S2000 then your S2000 probably has a problem.
I lol'd at this post.

Good thread. I would also believe you could run much more brake bias to the front on a square setup.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Need more front bias?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ndogg
Plus a square tire setup adds more front grip than the stock stagger.
this is what i was thinking seeing all you guys runing more aggressive front pads while for me same pad front/rear worked good with no ABS problems (my tires are ap2 OEM stagger)
Old 10-20-2012, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great discussion in the thread, thanks for the info...

Btw, just for clarification - i'm running 255 all around on 17x9 rims, 700lbs up front and 650lbs rear springs on AST coils, stock sways, oem brake calipers, and rear wing (GTC-200). Front undertray/splitter is on the way...

I did find a brake bias calculator (excel tool) online, but not sure how accurate or reliable it is. I also don't understand the calculations/formulas, so i'm interested in learning more about that as well.

Originally Posted by GT Motoring II
This is something I too have thought about, just haven't been driven enough to try out. Maybe next season we can work with Cobalt and see if they'd be on board to allow us to do some testing. We're going to be testing out some new XR1/XR3 pads this weekend at Gingerman, but did not talk to their engineers about pad bias. They said in their testing with Honda, the s2000 seemed to like an XR1/XR3 set up, some drivers preferred an XR1/XR2. I have also known drivers who like to run with the same pads all around.

Might have to try it out. Let us know if you continue to enjoy how it feels on track as the pads wear.
Cool, let me know how this turns out, and if ya'll need any help Would be great to see some temps/measurements to understand the theories.

The stock brake bias was designed for street driving on street tires. The theory, which seems to be backed up with experience and lap times, is that r-compound tires cause much more weight transfer under braking so the rear of the car is lighter and needs less brake torque. I'm running Carbotech Enduro pads in the front and Cobalt XR3s in the rear and I still get the ABS rear end dance when braking from 130mph unless I'm very smooth on throttle release and brake application.
Rob, do you know why honda would've designed for more rear bias? I would assume that if a car has more rear bias, there's higher likely hood for getting the rears to hit ABS, therefore making the rear end unstable and unsafe for the street? Vs. locking up the fronts or hitting abs up front should be more controllable.

Plus a square tire setup adds more front grip than the stock stagger. Further increasing the need for more front bias on the brakes.
If the front tires have more grip, wouldn't that mean we would need less front bias to maintain the same braking performance, but more front bias to reach the limits - assuming same speeds? Increased friction/surface area up front... Definitely more heat generated in the pads when working towards those limits...
Old 10-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Former Moderator

The stock brake bias was designed for street driving on street tires. The theory, which seems to be backed up with experience and lap times, is that r-compound tires cause much more weight transfer under braking so the rear of the car is lighter and needs less brake torque. I'm running Carbotech Enduro pads in the front and Cobalt XR3s in the rear and I still get the ABS rear end dance when braking from 130mph unless I'm very smooth on throttle release and brake application.
Rob, do you know why honda would've designed for more rear bias? I would assume that if a car has more rear bias, there's higher likely hood for getting the rears to hit ABS, therefore making the rear end unstable and unsafe for the street? Vs. locking up the fronts or hitting abs up front should be more controllable.
Sheel, it's not that Honda designed it with rear bias (you're right, they didn't, front brake lockup first is more stable and safer), but the mild front bias built in is overwhelmed by r-comp grip.

If the front tires have more grip, wouldn't that mean we would need less front bias to maintain the same braking performance, but more front bias to reach the limits - assuming same speeds? Increased friction/surface area up front... Definitely more heat generated in the pads when working towards those limits...
No, you need the brakes with the most grip to work the most. If you have no bias (brakes = front and rear) and under braking the front is weighted and the rear is unweighted, the rear will start to slide first while the fronts have excess grip you're not using. Adding front bias will allow you to use that extra grip for braking. You'd then go on to dial in front bias until the fronts lock up just before the rears.

Quick Reply: Effects of Brake Pad Bias